Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you get a smaller FLV output file in AME5

Mar 6, 2012 1:04 AM

Before I "upgraded" to CS5 I was running the Master CS4, which came with the old Media Encoder.  For what I do it was great, I need to convert about 10sec MPG files to 1mb FLV's for a real estate site I oversee.  When I upgraded I got the Web Premium instead of the Master.  Point is now when I go to convert these 10sec mpg files to FLV it says its going to create a 1000-3000mb file in its place.  I have played with the settings for hours and the best I can get is getting it down to the 70's mb.  Before my old conversions were turned into a 1mb FLV file, sometimes smaller.  It took a while, but I found out just to load an mpg file into AME, you need to install the newest version of Quicktime before it would even load.  All I want is the old way of encoding back, but I don't have the disc in order to even reinstall the old CS4, so I'm stuck with this.  I need help asap.  If there is an obvious preset that I can make or get to resolve this I would much appreciate it.  I need to do these conversions at few times a month, so any help would be, well helpful

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to acidhimp

As discussed in the other thread where you posted, the root problem is that AME thinks your source clip is hours long instead of seconds, so that's what needs to be solved. Until the duration is correctly interpretted, changing your encoder settings will accomplish nothing meaningful.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to acidhimp

Maybe you could try a different piece of software and see if that will convert the mpg to a different format first, before converting to .flv.

Here is a free one that I like and use regularly:

http://handbrake.fr/

Normally I would not suggest this multiple encoding method, since quality can deteriorate which each generation... but you need to get this working.

Since your original video is 10.2Mbps and you are shooting for a final 700kbps bitrate, you've got plenty of data to work with.

I'd suggest that when you do the first transcoding... in a program like Handbrake... convert it mp4 with a much higher bitrate than you need as an .flv... so do the first transcode with a bitrate of 2-3Mbps....that way you will still have plenty of data available when you encode to flv at 700kbps.

Once that step is done... and it should only take less than a minute, import the new mp4 into the Adobe Media Encoder and see if you have any better luck.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to acidhimp

When you post a screenshot from MediaInfo, use the "Tree" view. I downloaded your file. I bring it into AME. It reads it as 11 sec 124 ms

I am CS5 (not 5.5). Can you confirm you get this same result in CS5?

Here is the file from mediainfo in the tree view.

AME unit_203 mediainfo.jpg

Looks like mpeg1 video.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points