Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

[Consolidation-Locked] Lightroom 4 edit in problem

Sep 17, 2012 5:29 PM

I purchased Lightroom 4 upgrade, installed it, converted my catalog, and set the preferences for "edit in" another application to Photoshop Elements 9. This works fine in Lightroom 3, but when I try to send aa photo from Lightroom 4 to Elements, nothing happens. No window to select the options, no lau=nch of Elements. Any ideas as to what is wrong? Anybody else having this problem?

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to KennethVP

Same here.

Lightromm 4 upgraded from Lightroom 3 on Mac OS 10.7 Lion, and catalog converted.

Export to my external editors does not work.

I use Alien Skin Exposure 4 and Noise Ninja for editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to eirik75

I am having this problem too.  No external editors open using Photo>Edit In.  I'm on OS 10.7.3.

By the way, there is another thread here on this topic:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971432?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to KennethVP

SAME problem.  With PS CS5...edit in opens the ORIGINAL file...I have to export the tiff then open with PS...???????

Also...flag preferences reset from folder to folder.  Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to aFeinberg

Do you have ACR 6.7RC installed from labs.adobe.com?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Everything is up to date...according to the adobe updater...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to aFeinberg

and that's a RC...so not an official release...meaning HUGE fail from adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to KennethVP

I installed 6.7RC and the edit-in works now...though still prompts for 7.0 (what it did before i installed).  flag issue still occuring.    

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to KennethVP

Yes Lightroom 4 has the process engine that will be in ACR 7.x which will likely be issued when Photoshop CS6 ships. LR has the engine builtin and does not use the ACR Plugin that is used by Photoshop.

It is my understanding that ACR 6.7RC has the ability to handle the edits done in LR 4 when you use the edit in function to send a raw file to Photoshop CS5 but it does not have the new user interface to make adjustments using the new Process version 2012.

To me it looks like an interim workaround untill Photoshop CS6 ships, maybe someone from Adobe can clarify.

So to get the ability to process your raw files with the new process engine 2012 you will need to update either LR to version 4 or Photoshop to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

I installed ACR 6.7RC and verified that Photoshop is using it (CS5.1). However, I still cannot get Lightroom 4 to open images in Photoshop. The "Edit In" function does not work. This is on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. Any other ideas?

Alan

PhotoCitizen.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Alan Haynes

Think I'm on PS 12.0.4...so not? 5.1?  Either way I'm in the clear so far...with a terrible work around.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to KennethVP

My problem is slightly different. When I hit cmd E (Mac) to edit in PSCS5 it opens a file that has none of the corrections I made in LR on the RAW file. The workaround is to export the file to a  temp folder on my desktop , edit and resave to  the original folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to markdphoto

That's the issue we are talking about Mark.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to KennethVP

It seems to me that, if you have the ACR 6.7 installed on Photoshop and choose edit in Photoshop, open anyway, the file will open with the Lr changes baked in, just the same as if you had exported to a .tif and then opened in Ps. Save the file in Ps as a .psd and it will pop up in Lr.

Works for me until the new version of Photoshop comes along.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to aFeinberg

Actually the OP says that no external editor opens the file.

For me the file DOES open in LR but also reminds me that I need ACR 7.0. I say "open anyway" and the RAW file opens without any LR corrections.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to markdphoto

I did a test of this possibility - severely underexposed the file in lightroom and opened it in photoshop with "open anyway". I got the underexposed version and so have decided that the lightroom adjustments are present in the file, newly opened in Photoshop. When I'm finished with the Photoshop work I save as a psd and the file pops up in Lr with my adjustments intact.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to KateMann

If you install ACR 6.7RC the 'edit in' should work.  See above. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to KennethVP

Same Problem with my Imac.  Runing Lion 10.7.3 and I have updated all the NIK plugins.  When attempting to edit in:  the software does nothing, not even a blip.   I created a new user account on my computer and tried to add Photoshop Elements 10 as the external editor and that failed as well.   Tried several other editors with no results.

I suspect they have turned off the Edit in feature during the last phase of development and someone forgot to turn it back on.   My conclusions are that it is a problem with Lightroom 4 and not the third party addons as it will not even launch Elements 10, an Adobe product.  I did not remove Lightroom 3 so will continue to use it as I have only converted one catalog.

Hope they get a fix out in the next day or two.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to briankilpatrick131

Just adding to the list. I am having the same problem. Nik complete collection, PSE9 running on iMac with 10.7.3.

HDR Efex Pro works, but that is accessed differently via the Export menu

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to aFeinberg

I wish that the update to ACR 6.7RC for Photoshop had solved the problem, but it didn't. Has anyone had any success fixing this problem?

Adobe support is swamped - you can't even do an online chat right now. I hope a lot of people are complaining about this issue so it gets fixed.

Alan

PhotoCitizen.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to KennethVP

All the same issues as above....?????

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Alan Haynes

I wonder if there is any chance that a member of the Adobe team will respond here to let us know that they are listening?  It's very frustrating to get no reaction at all.  I also reported this by following the link for bug reporting but haven't had any response there either.  For anyone interested in adding to that, here is the thread:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_external_edi tor_failure

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Alan Haynes

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I fixed the problem ("Edit in" not working in Lightroom 4 on my Windows 7 machine). Here's what I did:

1. I found this page about a similar problem in LR3, "Edit In Photoshop Command Missing | Photoshop Lightroom."
    2. I followed the instructions under "Solution 2: Recreate the Photoshop.exe application path registry key."
    3. By default, the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS5.1 is installed here (copy and paste this in the Value Field mentioned in step 10): C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\photoshop.exe .
    4. I skipped steps 13 through 16 since there was no "Path value" listed for this registry key.

Once I closed the registry editor and re-started Lightroom 4, all of the Edit in options were avaialble and they worked! Yippee!

Alan

PhotoCitizen.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to KennethVP

This is the solution. Windows 7, Lr4, PsCs5, ACR 6.7, using 2012 controls

Upgrade to ACR 6.7. It is on Adobe Labs.

Edit in Lr4 and right-click and choose "Edit in Photoshop", choose "Open Anyway"

Your file with your Lr adjustments will open in Photoshop with the Lr adjustments that you just made baked in.

Do your Photoshop edits and save as a .psd file.

The file with both your Lr edits and your Photoshop edits will pop up in your Lr catalogue with all your edits intact.

The only thing you can not do is to perform more edits on your raw file while in Photoshop. You will have to wait for ACR 7 to do so. No big deal.

Jeff Schewe told me that all your Lr edits will survive the trip to Photoshop if you are using ACR 6.7. You won't lose anything.

I am using a Canon camera. It is possible that other sorts of RAW files don't work, but I haven't seen anyone mention that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to KateMann

@KateMann

I'm glad that you have your solution but it will not work for those of us who do not have the full version of Photoshop, as is the case with several in this thread including the originator.  In my case, I am running Photoshop Elements and ACR 6.7 RC can not be installed in it.  Some others do not use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and just want the Edit In command to work for their third party plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to KateMann

Kate, I appreciate the idea but I have upgraded to 6.7, I am using Canon but the problem still exists.

The file opens but it is exactly in the state that I imported it. None of my corrections have been applied. Saving back into LR displays the file as the PSD or TIFF was in PS. That is uncorrected except for my edits in PS.

What I am doing is exporting to a folder and THEN opening in PS. The corrections made in LR will hold if you export but not if you open via PS and ACR.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to markdphoto

@markdphoto

"The corrections made in LR will hold if you export but not if you open via PS and ACR."

Are you using the "edit in function" from within Lightroom to send the photo to PS / ACR or are you opening the file via PS and ACR?

If you are doing the latter then your edits will only be read if you have saved the metadata to xmp.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

I am using the "edit in function" in LR.

IOW I press command E in LR and The file is then opened in PS but without any corrections.

When I first used the command it warned me about the ACR issue. I clicked the box that says "don't show again". But I also noticed the option for "render through Lightroom". Well.... why doesn't it render through LR anyway and THEN open in PS? The bug seems to be with ACR and LR not passing on the XMP data.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to markdphoto

Have you tried to right click and choose Edit in Photoshop, open anyway? You need to have ACR 6.7 installed and you need to have used the 2012 process to have it work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to KennethVP

I'm having the same problem with Pixelmator. You could edit in Pixelmator in ver 3 and the LR 4 beta but not in the LR 4 release. Exporting to any program appears to be working. I'm on Mac OS 10.7.3. Anyone have a solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to KateMann

Yup, I have. Always the same result.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to KennethVP

Temporary solution for Mac Lion users and Lightroom 4.  I found a mention of this solution on another site last night and have tried it out on a Lion 10.7.3 installation and it works!  (With one caveat)

Download and install the Trial version of Photoshop CS5 and Install it.  (You do not have to start the program, just let the installer finish and quit.  Try your Lightroom 4 program and the Edit in feature should work.

On my Imac the first time I run Lightroom after a restart I have access to all three edit in options, Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments, Edit a copy and Edit original.   After that first run the only option that works is the Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

This has restored access to my Elements 10 and Nik software,  I am now going to reinstall Topaz Fusion and see if it works.

Hope this helps some of you.  It is still not the solution we want.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to briankilpatrick131

It worked until I remove Photoshop, I couldn't open Pixelmator after that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to dwarfel123

I've had issues in the past where I've had to install other programs after Lightroom to get them to be seen again-including Photoshop. I'm gonna assume people have tried reinstalling the apps that are giving trouble. For instance, my copy of onOne PPS6 seems to be working fine.. but I completely removed it and reinstalled it after LR4 (to get rid of crud from as far back as Photo Suite 4).

No, I'm making wild claims, just asking.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Seán McCormack

Seán McCormack wrote:

I've had issues in the past where I've had to install other programs after Lightroom to get them to be seen again-including Photoshop. I'm gonna assume people have tried reinstalling the apps that are giving trouble. For instance, my copy of onOne PPS6 seems to be working fine.. but I completely removed it and reinstalled it after LR4 (to get rid of crud from as far back as Photo Suite 4).

No, I'm making wild claims, just asking.

Hi Seán,

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nik Silver Efex Pro and Photoshop Elements 10.  No go.  Still can't invoke any external editor using "Edit In".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

That answers my question Julie, thanks. I know there's a problem, just seeing if might help, obviously not-and obviously annoying that it's happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Seán McCormack

Seán McCormack wrote:

That answers my question Julie, thanks. I know there's a problem, just seeing if might help, obviously not-and obviously annoying that it's happening.

From what I've heard, some users who have this issue have gotten "Edit In" to work for their third party plugins by installing CS5 or Photoshop Elements 10.  The latter didn't work for me and I'm not prepared to download a trial of CS5 to test that out.  Shall have to wait for a revised version.  So sad about that. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

I'm in exactly the same situation (on Mac Lion system). I have PSE9 and downloaded and installed the trial version of PSE10 but "Edit In" still did not work. I happen to have Viveza and CEP4 licences for Photoshop, so until a fix is distributed, the only feasible workaround there is, is to export an image and then load it in separately to PSE9 from which I can then access Viveza or CEP4. Save back out, and then synchronise my LR4 folder (or import back in separately).

A pain in the bum but at least it gets me moving on.

I do wish, however, that Adobe would make some sort of announcement and acknowledgement of the problem to put us at some sort of ease!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points