Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Table of contents problem

Mar 9, 2012 12:20 AM

Hi everyone,

The level one headings in my document look like the following:

Chapter 1

Name of chapter

The chapter number, ie. "Chapter 1" is 24 points in size with 25 points of leading. The name of the chapter below it is 16 points in size with 28 points in leading. There's a soft line break after the chapter number to force the chapter name onto the second line without creating a new paragraph.

I need the soft paragraph so that when the table of contents is automatically generated, the two parts will stay together without a separate paragraph. The problem is that when the TOC is generated, the two separate font sizes are being applied to the two separate parts of the heading. This happens even though I've created a TOC Level 1 style and this gets applied when the TOC is rendered. I'm having to go through and apply "clear overrides" on each of these level 1 headings.

Is there a way to prevent the TOC from picking up the two sizes so that it just treats it as raw text and then applies the TOC Level 1 heading after it's generated?

Appreciate any advice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

Hi gwhPoster,

Are you using Character Style?

Clear overrides don't take out this styles.

If not, try created some and apply using "Drop caps and Nested styles" into the style.

I usually apply "regular" character style to take the changes in the text to the default TOC style that I created.

Regards,

Wagner

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

The only way this is going to work is if you apply the styling in the main text as a nested style rather than highlighting and manually applying a style to change the weight.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

Two possibilities. First is the styles are still also applied outside the nested style -- select the entire paragraph, then go the the Character styles and select None to only use the nested styles. Second is you are using the same style for you listing (or one based on it) that still has the nested styles included in the definition -- create and use a new style for your listings that does not include any unwanted nested styles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to gwhPoster

If you put your cursor in the text in the TOC that is the wrong size, what do you see for Character style?

Now move to the chapter and put your cursor in the same place, and what do you see? Is the size a local override, perhaps (do you see a + sign after the Paragraph Style name)? Alt/Opt click the Paragraph style name to remove local overrides from the paragraph.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to gwhPoster

If you send me  the file, I'll see if I can figure out what's going on...

I'll PM you an upload link.

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to gwhPoster

considering that chapter 1 was working and the rest were not... and when you copy / pasted chapter 1 text into the other chapters...

it sounds (or reads) like you had the correct styles applied to chapter 1 but not to the others.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points