Skip navigation

Issues with Import in Lightroom4

Mar 9, 2012 4:37 PM

Tags: #mac #osx #import #canon_5d #lr4 #lightroom4 #import_images
  Latest reply: Victoria Bampton, Aug 24, 2013 12:05 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

Still having problems unfortunately with RC2 using Nikon D90.

When set to Raw+jpg I only get Raw imports. If set to only Raw or only Jpeg formats(fine, normal, basic) files are imported without problem. I tried different sd cards after formating them again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to Keisersozze

What setting have you selected in your Preferences for "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos"? It sounds as though you have it unchecked, which means that only the Raw half of a Raw+Jpeg 'pair' will be imported (Lightroom will know about the Jpeg, but just references it as a sidecar file to the Raw). You need it to be checked if you want to be able to see and process both halves of the pair.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Thanks Jim! That solved it. Strange that it came unchecked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

I just imported 523 images with the RAW + Fine JPEG setting on my D700's selected. No issues, all photos imported. I feel the undocumented feature has been corrected.

Gary Walo

GRW Photography, Inc

(904) 252-2494

nenonen@comcast.net

|
    Mark as:
  • Benjamin Warde
    64 posts
    Sep 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to nvsravank

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

Hi,

I cannot import raw files directly from 5D mkII to LR4.1 ([829322]). LR only offers to import the jpg files, but the raw files are not there. I have some pictures shoot in jpg, and some in raw (but not like jpg+raw)

Canon's software imports them without any problem.

So the workaround works (downloading with eos utility first), but this is not really convenient.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:59 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

I have a hard drive reaching capacity. Before I realized I should have done this using LR, I used Finder to move roughly half the files (about 22,000) to a different drive. I then imported those files and folders into LR. Everything looked good, until I looked and saw anywhere from 1-250 files in the dozens of folders, when there should be more like 200-700 files in each folder. The files exist on the drive, but I can't get LR to import them.

I use the Synchronize function on a test folder, which indeed detects that there are hundreds of files to import, so I click OK. Synchronize does its thing for awhile, and then I get the error window "No photos or videos were found to import."

I click the Import button and direct it to the proper folder...I see the images checked that are missing from the catalog and need to be imported...I click Import. Import does its thing for awhile, and then I get the error window "No photos or videos were found to import."

FYI, I did go into the preferences and clear the cache.

The files are there; LR sees them; LR will not import them. What gives?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to Boompapa

I am reacting to your post without dooing any research. However just intuitively am wondering if this might work. I would test it on just a number of pics instead of thousands.

Try creating a new catalog from the missing lot. The try imprting from the new catalog to the old one.

Hope it works.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 20, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to Boompapa

Boompapa wrote:

I have a hard drive reaching capacity. Before I realized I should have done this using LR, I used Finder to move roughly half the files (about 22,000) to a different drive. I then imported those files and folders into LR.

Take a step back.  You don't want to import them into LR as fresh photos.  Since they're already in your catalog at the previous location, which should now have question marks against them, you now need to 'find missing folder' on those previous folders and point them to the new location.  If you remove and reimport fresh, you'll lose all of your settings.

So look at the Folders panel and find the 'old' location of those photos.  Are there question marks?  If so, great.  If not, why not - perhap they're still on the old drive.

Assuming there are question marks and all of your old settings are still attached to the old location, we're all set.  You can remove the newly imported photos on the new drive, and then right-click on each of the old missing folders and find missing folder to the new drive.

If anything doesn't make sense, please ask.  And back up your catalog first, just in case you make a mistake.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I removed the photos from the catalog after moving them to the new hard drive, so no, they're not showing up as images with question marks.

I moved them to a new hard drive, and them did a mass import so LR could see that drive and the files on it. LR seems to have imported all the folders, but only imported random smatterings of images. When I try Synchronize, it sees the images missing from the catalog, I click OK, it works and works, and then I get an error message saying no images or videos were found to import. Same thing happens when I use the Import button.

FYI, I did go into the Prefs and clear the cache.

I do have a Catalog backup, but it's six days old (I know, I know) and it won't suffice to re-load that and lose all the work I've done since.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 20, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to Boompapa

Ok, when you go to Synchronize, check the Show Import Dialog checkbox - and then in the Import dialog, uncheck the Import Suspected Duplicates checkbox.  Don't actually import them, but see if they become available at that point.  If they do, the photos are still in the catalog but at a different location - which would be good news.

When you remove the photos from the catalog, you lose all of their settings and any work you've done on them.  That's obviously bad news!  I'm pleased to hear you have a catalog backup, as we may need it to rescue all of the metadata for the moved photos.  The work you've done since - which photos does that affect?  The moved ones or a different set?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

First, Victoria, Thank you for your help :-)

I'm going to use one photo session (and its folder) as our example. Right now, LR shows the parent folder for this session, as well as the "Edited" subfolder. The "Captures" subfolder is missing entirely. When I attempt to Synchronize or Import, it does see the missing files. At first, after I uncheck the box about suspected duplicates, it shows 655 files to be imported. The PSDs and JPEGs (the edited images located in the Edited folder) are grayed out so I cannot select them, and only the CR2 files are checked.

All the XMP files were copied with the CR2 files onto the new hard drive, and I see them there in the folder using Finder.

Using catalog backup isn't a tenable route for me, as I'd lose all the work I've done in the past 6 days since backing up, and I have the working XMP files right here...I just need to figure out why LR doesn't want to play.

DG

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 21, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Boompapa

So with 'don't import suspected duplicates' checked, the CR2's are unavailable?

If so, write down one of the filenames.  Go back to Library module, select All Photographs and then do a text search for that filename.  If it thinks it's a duplicate, they're in the catalog somewhere, so it would be good to find them.

And then some screenshots would really help, as I'm getting muddled between your cases and 8 other similar cases I'm currently working on. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to nvsravank

I am using LR 4.2 on a Mac Pro, Lion OS.  When I connect memory cards from my canon P&S or canon DSLR and try to import, the import dialoque automatically selects the card as the source.  All looks fine in grid mode, but when I try to switch to the single image (loupe) mode, all I get is a TINY thumbnail - smaller than that shown in the grid mode.

A work-around for me is to go back to the source selection, click on the card, then click on the DCIM/folder that the images are in.  When I do this and then go to loupe mode I get full size images.  It seems like there are perhaps some thumbnails stored on the card the LR4 trys to open but cant - and it doesnt look in the proper folder to find the full-sized images.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Hopefully this sheds some light:

Putting aside everything I said earlier, moving files and being LR not finding them. Here is something fresh that popped up, and I'm sure has to do with the overall problem I'm facing: I had a shoot this weekend, days after posting here. I saved some web-res images to a folder on my laptop's HD. LR doesn't see those web-res files until I Synchronize that folder. Now, with this new LR issue, when I click Synchronize Folder, it recognizes that there are files there, but then I get the same old error message, "No photos or videos were found to import." I can see the files there in my finder, and LR sees them there in the Synchronize window; but it just won't import them. When I try this using the Import button, I see the files, but they are grayed out and unselectable, even when I uncheck "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates." [AMENDMENT: I went back an unchecked the Don't Import Suspected Dupes box and saw that I was able to select and import the file that would not show up when I was using Synchronize. I clicked Import, and LR did indeed import the file, as it showed me in the Import window (you know, the temp folder it shows you for the files you recently imported, regardless of where they were imported to). However, when I navigate to the folder where the image should have been imported to, it is not there. In fact, I used Finder to search for that image, and it is nowhere to be found, either on my laptop, or my portable hard drive where it should be...this is making no sense whatsoever...]

To be clear, this is an incident that is independent (but related) to the issue I stated above, about moving folders to new hard drives and LR not recognizing them. I'm posting it because it's definitely related, and because this issue is happening without the whole "moving files to a new hard drive" snafu. This is happening with new files created with Photoshop and saved to my local HD, and LR seeing them but refusing to import them.

LR is failing me!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Boompapa

And out of nowhere, Synchronizing starts to work...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Boompapa

Boompapa wrote:

And out of nowhere, Synchronizing starts to work...

It's all made from dirt (with the help of air, water, fire, and human ingenuity of course) and there are still bugs in it...

I don't suppose this miraculous recovery could have been the result of:

1. Restarting Lightroom, or

2. Restarting Computer

could it?

~R.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Believe me, I did both of those things...I'm just glad it decided to work today...

Thanks for all the help everyone!

DG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to Boompapa

I had to ask. - even with much experience, I sometimes forget to reboot when computer is acting wonky.

Anyway, Lightroom and computer can sometimes auto-correct when things gets too far out of alignment, whatever that means.

Only thing is: sometimes problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves .

Glad it's working now,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

I am having this error in v4.3. I have never had the problem before, including previous 2,3 and 4.x versions. Mine is when I try to syncronise a folder where I have moved files from outside LR. When I click Synchronise folder, it correctly counts the number of images to import. When I click Import, I get the error, no photos found. These are all jpgs. I have restarted LR and am still getting the error.

Have also restarted computer and optimized catalog. Also tried a single jpg, a raw file, and a dng file, all same results.

LR1.jpg

LR2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

I have LR4.3 and I'm still having this issue.  I go to sync a folder; LR sees what needs to be imported (e.g. 5 photos).  I hit "ok" and then the next prompt says "No photos found".  Any ideas how I can fix this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to katemac02

No still happening to me, and as you can see, support never responded. Hope it's fixed in LR5. It never happened in v2 or 3.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Aug 24, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to katemac02

Click Show import dialog before importing checkbox, and then uncheck the Don't show suspected duplicates checkbox in the File Handling panel of the import dialog and see if it'll let them import.  The 5 that are showing up in the Synchronize dialog are probably before the duplicate checking has run.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points