Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to edit a photo in Lr4, continued...

Mar 10, 2012 3:16 PM

Tags: #shadows #module #edit #fill #point #develop #controls #exposure #contrast #highlights #basics #tone #whites #curve #tone_curve #blacks #point_curve

The purpose of this thread is to continue the Lr4 editing tips & tricks started in the beta forum.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob:

My hat is off to you or this post, very informative and has gotten my grey matter stirring, dangerous for a Saturday night. Maybe you could give me some guidance?

I shoot multi-row panoramas, sometimes stitching up to 200 images. I shoot in manual exposure mode with manual focussing. This is to ensure I capture the scene as "seen". I have experiemented with PV2012 selecting my prime image, make a couple of adjustments, then synchronize the remaining files. Then export to my Pano directory, then fire up my Pano software (Auto Pano Pro) and it has a dickens of a job stitching and just looks aweful. Variations in the sky tones and bunch of other atrifacts.  Whereas using LR3.6 I get a good pano.

So do you have a tip for PV2012 where I can apply the same changes equally across all images in the pano structure or should I stick with the earlier PV?

Cheers and thanks for all the effort you have put in here

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Your reply was very helpful, and I think I have made a decision on my work flow; and will only use LR for cataloging my final panoramas and not the content they are comprised of.

Panos are constructed from overlapping (around 20%) images and the software builds control points based on recognizing overlapping components of the scene as well as tonal values, a good example here is sky which can be a challenge in it's own right. So to work effectively, the tonal values and other stuff, need to be consistent from frame to frame (that is why I shoot in manual mode).

So looks like I will just load my RAW images into APG as is, have that do the rendering and export as a 16 bit TIFF then import into LR for cataloging and maybe printing.

Cheers

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Hate to say it, but Photoshop makes just OK panos, but really hit and miss when it comes to large panos. Crashes a lot is not very efficent with system resources compared to APG. But then APG is dedicated software and has the ability to manually align images if needed. But has a nice feature in that you can export layers as a PSD file which combined with an Alpha Channel can make corrections like someone walking through the scene and showing up in multiple frames.

Thanks for your insight, now heading off for a day's shoot, tripod and pano head over my shoulder freshly charged batteries and off to do what I enjoy most.

Cheers

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)