Skip navigation
OzSomeOne
Currently Being Moderated

Does the Chrome OS support Adobe Shockwave Player?

Mar 11, 2012 8:52 PM

Tags: #shockwave_player #chromebook_os

I'm trying to find out if I buy a (Acer) Google Chromebook (Linux platform?) with Chrome OS, will I be able to use the Adobe Shockwave Player? All I've been able to find is that the Flash Player is integrated into them, but nothing about the Shockwave Player. I'm currently using the shockwave plugin 11.6r626 on a Windows Vista 32bit OS with the Chrome Browser, and it works fine. I really want to buy a Chromebook instead of a 2nd laptop, but if I can't play games at shockwave.com (which uses the shockwave player), it's a deal-breaker. Can someone please help me? I've searched tons of chrome forums with no answer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to OzSomeOne

I know nothing of the system you cite, but you mention Linux. There is no Linux-native version of the Shockwave Player plugin. Some users report success using the Wine emulator - ymmv

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 10:45 PM   in reply to Sean_Wilson

Chrome OS uses a Linux kernel. In fact it uses sources from Ubuntu. Since it is a Linux derivative, it will not support Shockwave. The only hope is if Google pressures to release a version. Google is going in the direction of HTML5 and has already implemented it on the Chrome Browser. With HTML5, plugins like this are likely to go away unless they are used by the gaming community.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points