Skip navigation
Mathias17 451 posts
Feb 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Extending a curve

Mar 12, 2012 9:50 AM

Hypothetical: You have a single line, an open-ended path, with only points. Both points have bezier handles.

How does one extend that arcing line further so that it extends without changing the existing curve?

I've faced this many times. Each time I just get as close as possible by drawing a new shape under the line in question. But is there a lossless method?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to Mathias17

You mean something like this?

tm_001.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Mathias17

In the example above I used a graphic style (consisting of a Pattern brush) to extend according to tangents.

But that's not what you want, and as AI still does not offer live shapes the way you're looking for, you cannot do that currently.

Someone else may suggest to buy a plugin to get that feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Do you by any chance know how to make a curve rounder? I'm looking at this tutorial http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/fun-vector-monster-character -illustrator-tutorial I'm totally new to Illustrator and it took me like half an hour figuring out that you had to click alt or something to change the type of rectangle. I need to know how to make the curve rounder as is in the link.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to 01123581321345589144

You have to be a bit more specific, Leonardo: The monster is primarily created using Rounded Rectangles, and they get no rounder than with the Radius being half the width/height, whichever is smaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to Mathias17

Basically you just click on an open end with the Pen tool, drag without moving the existing curve and then click to define the next anchor. Where you click is your decision.

If it is absolutely imperative that the existing arc does not move at all, it’s not a bad idea to drag ruler guides to the end of the handle to mark the spot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Don't know if I totally understand but thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Thanks Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to 01123581321345589144

You are welcome, Leonardo.

If you wish to extend a path ending in a smooth Anchor Point, in other words one with Handles, the direction(s) of which represent the tangent, and if you wish to make sure that the extension accurately follows the tangent/Handle direction, you may use this rather silly way (Smart Guides are your friends):

1) Select the end Anchor Point with the Direct Selection Tool,

2) Either

2a) With the Pen Tool click the Handle (Smart Guides say handle) and click the Anchor Point (Smart Guides say anchor), or

2b) With the Line Tool drag from the Handle (Smart Guides say handle) to the Anchor Point (Smart Guides say anchor), then drag over the end Anchor Points with the Direct Selection Tool and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join, using Smooth.

2a) is simpler, but it will reverse the direction of the path if done with the last end Anchor Point (lastly), hence the even sillier 2b).

There may be less silly ways to make sure, possibly in the newer/newest version(s).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points