can't be botherd with all the back and forth pushing of who's fault blablabla...
so i did down grade as told in the post here, now when i start up indesign i get a message before indesign is even started up: "Adobe Indesign does not recognise Digital Publishing.InDesignPlugin as a valid plug-in. Please reinstall the Digital Publishing.InDesignPlugin plug-in and restart InDesign"
hmm didn't i just do that? so should i update now or should i not? i mean if i update then i'm not able to publish it anymore to my viewer app on the ipad?
goes even further, i go the next computer running indesign and is not yet updated to the new version of the folio builder tools... so i get message in my folio builder panel that i should install the folio builder component! it leads my directly to the page of adobe were i can download the tools (for all language) but now i'm wiser and i go to the download page of the panel instead... okay i install that and i go to my indesing get the builder panel and it tells me to install the folio builder tools! i mean what the heck am i supposed to do now?
one more thing: can someone point me into a direction on how to figure out what version of folio builder i have installed now?
Zeke - When you get the incompatible plug-in message, you need to do a little cleanup to get the tools to install properly. Follow solution #2 of this tech note: http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/kb/error-do-have-compa tible-digital.html
For those of you who installed the Folio Producer tools prematurely, we're sorry about the inconvenience. For most applications, whenever an update is available, you should update. But with DPS, that's not always the case, and people find out the hard way. The Folio Producer installer page includes a paragraph with a warning about installing tools, but it looks too much like the other blah-blah-blah text you see on download pages. We plan to update that page with a more emphatic warning.
hello bob, thanks for the advise.
nop that didn't work... i tried both solutions...
first one installs the tools but same error when starting up indesign.
second one there is no such file anywere on my system...
any other ideas? or why wont it work on a system that i didn't update
the folio builder tools yet. i tried to install the folio builder panel only
so i would be able to sync my folio with the server but after the update
of the folio builder panel i only get the message in the panel i should
update my folio builder tool?
so i figured this out... if you have indesign version 7.5.2 installed this hole thing doesn't work...
you need to be on a version 7.5.1 to actually be able to install the folio builder panel only!
and have it working with an older version of the folio builder tool...
maybe this can help someone!
have to say it's abit disapointing..
well i have about 40 stations here proveing it... no chance to run the old folio builder tool under 7.5.2
maybe it's only because we use a german version of the suit. but fact is:
i can not use the old folio builder tool in 7.5.2 and try to install the folio builder panel..
once i did this it tells me in the folio builder panel in indesign i should update the tools.
if i do that i can't view my content on the ipad.
if i use 7.5.1 version of indesign it runs smooth... well not smooth if i had to downgrade... then
you need to delet some of those cash files and stuff that neighter the uninstaller nor the
cleaner patch can take care off...
I have no explanation except that all of those machines have something conflicting with the DPS tools.
I have these tools installed under 7.5.2 on two Windows machines and a Mac running Snow Leopard.
Any idea when there will be an updated iPad app for the Adobe Content Viewer?
I bought the "new" iPad and I spent all Spring Break preparing lectures for my advanced InDesign class in both eBooks and Digital Publishing. My intent is to have all of them prepare an ebook and folio as a class project. Yes, they can certainly view the folio at their computer, but the real magic is missing when they can't upload it to their iPads. I did a survey and half of the class have their own iPads.
Any workaround that you could suggest?
I'm going to feel like a fool in front of my class next week. (I teach Adobe InDesign at a college) We've just done interactive PDFs, and I wanted that "wow" factor when we compared eBooks to folios. It's embarrassing to tell the public that I'm waiting on Apple and Adobe to do updates.
Cyndi Reese, ACE
This question has been asked over and over and the answer doesn’t change.
Apple will approve it when Apple decides to approve it.
Do not update the tools until the new viewer has been approved or…if you have a Pro/Enterprise account, make your own viewer. I did it myself the other day and it takes about 5 minutes.
Absent that, roll the tools back to version 18 and everything will be fine.
Many thanks for the prompt replies-- I definitely sense the frustration that Adobe must have waiting for Apple approval!
May I make a suggestion? As a trainer in the trenches, I assumed (a dangerous word, I know) that I should update the newest versions of the Folio Producer Tools and Folio Builder because that was the information that I got in the tutorials and material I was studying. Even after reading the Folio Producer Tools and Viewer App version compatibility table in the "Please update your app" help file, it doesn't speak well as to what version to go down to. [Many thanks for your email reply with the correct version of 1.8] With all of the different mobile devices about, I appreciate what Adobe is going through keeping current! But perhaps there could be a posted status table website somewhere that maps the Producer Tools version and the major mobile devices?
I am delighted at how easy it was to create a folio. Coming from a solid foundation in InDesign, digital publishing is the best thing since sliced bread!
I'm certain this is harder than it sounds given DPS architecture, but what if you could install the latest Adobe DPS tools and then choose the viewer version you want when creating the folio? Sort of like you can create a PDF using the latest version of Acrobat but also specify that the PDF conform to ealier PDF specs. Sure, you might be in a situation where you've designed a feature that won't work in the older format, but that's where the software should hold your hand a bit with a compatibility alert of some kind. The upshot of this is that it allows you to stay current with the software and not have to uninstall and reinstall versions to account for different viewers.
I see this kind of feature as part of a larger pattern of DPS tools needing to adapt to users rather than the other way around. I know this will take time as DPS is a relatively new tool, but as it stands now there are just so many hoops to jump through to create materials in this format (and I'm sure Apple is responsible for many of those hoops, too).
Some more dreaming here:
Author an entire multi-article folio in a single INDD file. Section breaks can indicate the start of new articles.
Intelligent folio updates so only changes get pushed.
'Update all' folios instead of doing it manually.
An indicator on a folio panel that changes have been made to a source document and need to be updated to the server.
Vector-based MSOs with text/images that look just as sharp as non-interactive content.
Auto-renditions -- at least for proportional layouts. The server just makes them for you -- scaling up or down as needed based on what you've provided.
Okay -- back to reality now...
Hope that i didn't miss the answere of my question. I tryed to read the full discussion but it's to much of
"You are wrong." "No, you!" "It's Apple's fault" "......."
I understand that if we want to test the app we have to wait until apple approved the new content viewer.
My question is: what do i have to do for our customers?
We build several Multi Folio App with subscription for newsstand and we only want to publish new issues.
Do we now need to build a hole new viewer every time you (Adobe) update the Folio Builder? That means
• much more work for all of us
• a much longer period to be approved by apple
• and consequently more troble with our customers
You kiddin' me, right? Does anyone think about this before? That means
we have to notice every version for every folio we build with folio builder to
be sure not to have a newer version!? For one or two apps it's ok, but not
for more and not with couple of issue's! Our customers will be thankful!
For real: that is not feasible!!! Good work!
I think you misunderstood. The reason there are two separate installers is so that you can update your Folio Builder panel without having to update your viewer version. If you build a custom app with v18 tools and get a message to update the panel, just update the panel -- and only the panel. You're still using v18 tools with the updated panel. But if you update the tools, you update your viewer version, and then you'll need to submit a new custom viewer to Apple.
I understand the reasoning behind the muli-part install - and I think we are all getting better at understanding and working through new releases - but the simple fact that Johannes has created a web page - http://caniupdateadobedps.com - to provide guidance to the upgrade process is a clue that it is challenging for even sophisticated users.
If you have multiple Apps and a decent back history of folios - it is quite challenging to maintain current with toolsets and viewers - then throw in the mix Apple's control over versioning, etc. etc..
With six to eight week sprints, the grumbling will never truly subside.
So I want to congratulate jmooring2 for reminding us of the ability to backsave to an earlier standard within normal PDF workflow. It is a fine idea and should be implemented straight away.
Obviously, I understand the drive to Release 20 and all the cool stuff there...but the time has come where new features need to take a back seat to compatibility and production workflow.
The toolset may still be a little "beta" but we are all for the most part in production.
We need stability, and advance planning. We need train tracks, not the pitch of the open sea.
As I've mentioned before, the DPS team is currently working on a solution that lets you update all your tools and use a different method to target the appropriate viewer version. I'm not sure how broadly it will be implemented. More details to follow.
This is unacceptable. You shouldn't release the new tools for InDesign before Apple has approved the new app.
When the Folio Builder panel requires me to update the tools before I can do any work at all, of course I will. And now I'm stuck in no man's land.
I've rolled back all the tools and rebuilt my app in v18 - no difference, still saying I should update my app. I rebuild it in V19 and it works, but I did that last week and my app was rejected by Apple because of bugs with the Viewer - which is obvioulsy an Adobe/DPS problem, because I went through the exact same process I have to build other approved apps.
So, there's no point in resubimtting the app to Apple with V19 because I will only be waiting a week/10 days for a rejection, and building it in v18 doesn't even work in the developer version so that will be rejected too. No idea what to do next. Uninstall every last trace of DPS off my system and start again????
My DPS versions:
Folio Builder - 12.1.3 (latest)
Folio Producer - 126.96.36.199 (old)
Viewer Builder - 1.9.0 (latest - though I can select v18 when I build a viewer)
Perhaps Adobe could change to a method where you have to use your Adobe ID to confirm that you have read and understand their (soon to be improved) disclaimer about the dangers of installing the latest tools before Apple approves the newest Adobe Content Viewer. This way the average joe/newbie can't install the new tools without being hit over the head with how things work. The experienced users will be able to access the latest tools as soon as they're available and the new folks won't get frustrated because they unknowingly installed the tools too soon for their needs.
In all this heated discussion I'd like to just say (as a Single Edition DPS purchaser) - I get it - and THANK YOU for giving me access to updated tools as soon as they're available for Professional or Enterprise customers. I truely appreciate it. :-)
Personally I haven't found myself stuck in a jam because I updated my tools in the middle of an important client roll out. (really? people do that??) I do, however, find myself anxious for Apple's approval because I want to see my baby fly on my new iPad!! (My baby being a Retina sized folio test with full screen image sequences). I have tested it on the desktop viewer (well, tested the top left corner of it - it's bigger than my desktop ;-P ) - but can't tell how sweet it will look at all.
However, I was thinking - would I not be able to create a development version of my app, which should work? (Presuming I bought a license to publish beforehand). I am way off being ready to publish; would creating a viewer right now affect me when I want to do so again for publication?
The case for v19 is mostly moot, since surely(?) Apple is about to approve and the new Adobe viewer will be released - but for future generations - Is there any way we could create a "deveopment viewer" for Single Edition? (Dev only..?) In addition to being able to create a dev build, sideloading into the dev build would be a god-send, even though our small company can't offord a $500 per month subscription. I know you have to protect the subscription value, but this small bit would help so much.. <gets on knees for extra sympathy..> P-p-p-lleeaaasseee....?
I'm waiting too. I'm a new user, so i've downloaded
the latest tools, now i'm waiting for the viewer to get updated.
Do you have any idea how long it took last time?
I mean, it's been more than two weeks now …
Thanks for advice
You don't have to be unfriendly.
I just asked if you have any idea how long
it took Apple to relase the last update to
the AppStore. Depending on this i'm going
to decide if i roll back to 18 or wait a few
If you read this thread and the countless others you’ll see the same answer over and over again. Anyone working with Apple is at Apple’s whim and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
And it doesn’t matter how long it took last time so that shouldn’t even enter into the equation.
If you need to work with ACV now you’ll need to roll back to version 18.
We all wish Apple was more forthcoming especially with something that’s been updated so many times already. Whether you find that friendly or not, is irrelevant. Those are the facts.
Is it possible to add something (insult to injury?) that hasn't been said before in this thread ? Yes.
Users think of the Apple App Store as an area where stuff can be freely tried and tested. But it's not - it's a STORE, not a workshop. And Apple likes to keep their shop clean and all, and have only decent apps on the shelves. (Yes, there have been and still are apps that don't work or are quite useless, but these are rare and at least Apple tries to draw some line.) And although they do take a long time to approve an app, it's their right. Whether we like it or not.
To test and publish our puppy's, we (both free-loaders and paid Adobe customers) need some fail-safe method to put stuff on our and everyone's iPad. Now, Adobe won't les us, because they want to rule the folio-kingdom. They hate to see us output folio's to iPads (as if they were PDFs or MP3s), without their kind but eventually paid intervention. That's their good right too. Whether we like it or not.
So we're sitting here, happily stuck between two big companies, who both don't move an inch towards an easier approval or easier technical solution. In fact, Adobe has been moving further away from technical ease-of-use (for distributing folio's) since the first incarnations of the Folio Builder, because they are afraid they might give something away too quickly that could turn out commercially very profitable later on.
Technically, it's not such a big deal to get something like an interactive publication from InDesign onto your iPad. Take a look at other tools, like Twixl, Mag+, and a few others, who use the official iOS Simulator or a direct connection, to test/distribute something on your iPad. But Adobe wants to keep their approach a tightly closed circuit, and stay platform agnostic (or at least cross-platform between iOS and Android) with their tools and trades.
Insult to injury maybe, but that's the State of our Art.
It's a bit like The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
Valuable publications should not spread too easily !
You might get trapped or killed...
Peter, I'm glad someone finally said that. I was going to but I have enough back and forth threads on here. Some many people think that the only thing Apple has better to do is finalize this one App. Apple gets thousands of Apps every day to be approved and just because Adobe has submitted this App several times before does not give it a rubber stamp to be approved. Apple taking it's time is the reason we don't have thousands of Spyware and Trojans Apps on IOS devices. I'm not saying Apple is perfect but I will take Apple over Android any day. The simple fact for me is that Adobe should have planned better and come up with better solutions to this such as the PDF model people have suggested.
I know we could upgrade to the Pro service but we have no need for that at all. We are a private company and what we do does not need to be in the App store, even hidden. We use DPS for internal interactive selling tools and DPS has been good for that, not great but good. In my opinion Adobe has been so short minded in how people can use this software. Adobe is pigeonholing us in a way, telling us how we are suppose to use the software. When did this start? I thougt Adobe software was all about creativity, exploration and now I feel like Adobe is stifling that to some degree.
Europe, Middle East and Africa