Skip navigation
VideoFrank
Currently Being Moderated

Timeline markers don't produce Chapter markers for Quicktime movies

Mar 12, 2012 7:24 PM

I put six timeline markers in my PE10 project, made a Quicktime movie, and when I went to import the movie into iDVD, there were no Chapter markers. Why not? This function of timeline markers used to work with my old Adobe Premiere 6.5 application? I bought PE10 to bring my video editing system up to current level and now one of the basic functions is not there. Can anybody shed some light on this deficiency of PE10? If this function did get dropped (by accident?), when will it be added in a future update?

-- Frank

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to VideoFrank

Chapter Markers are for a DVD/BD, and not for an Export/Share to file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to VideoFrank

Frank -- If you're still stuck with this problem, you might try converting your markers to Encore chapter markers.

I had the same problem in that none of my markers in Premiere were being recognized by iDVD, which has some classy themes I wanted to use. But when I converted each marker to Encore markers, I had better luck. That is, most of the time the markers were recognized by iDVD; but sometimes they weren't. So it's not a 100% reliable solution, but certainly worth a try.

Good luck,

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to VideoFrank

Adobe Encore is an Adobe authoring program, and now only comes bundled with Premiere Pro. Before PrPro CS 3, it WAS also available with the Production Studio suite, or as a stand-alone program. As it was beefed up to use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) between it, and PrPro, it was pulled from individual sale (too bad, as it IS a great program), and is now, only available as part of PrPro.

Now, PrE uses some of the same code (the Sonic AuthorCore), but in a stripped-down form, for simple, linear authoring.

Many PrE users, who need a full-featured authoring app., really like the Sony DVD Architect (might be only for the PC?).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to VideoFrank

Hi Frank,

I'm using Premiere Pro, so I can't speak to what's included with Elements.

But I would suggest you just click on one of your markers, and see if it offers an option to change it to an Encore marker. Hopefully, you won't need the app to do that.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to teffer13

P.S. You can also download a free trial of Encore, if you want to check it out.

Good luck and let me know how it all goes.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to teffer13

No. Even in the trial version of PrPro, Encore does not work.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, it does work. How many times did you try?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to teffer13

The trial of PrPro includes a working version of Encore?

If so, that is a recent departure by Adobe. At least through PrPro CS 5, Encore was totally disabled in the trial. As Adobe does make changes, as for instance, as of CS 5, the PrPro trial began including full MPEG support, which was missing from other trial versions, so it could be that my information is now out of date, and if so, thank you for pointing that out.

As I have the full Production Premium suite, including Adobe Encore, I have not needed to do any trials. The last trial, that I ran from Adobe was the first introduction of Lightroom, and then SoundBooth, when both were in beta testing, but that was long ago.

Thanks for the correction.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have not gotten confirmation yet, on the trial of PrPro CS 6, but this Adobe KB Article indicates that up through CS 5.5, Encore was not activated in the trial: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/trial-version-limitations-premi ere-pro.html

More later,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to teffer13

According to the "Trial Limitations of PrPro CS 6," Encore is still not part of the trial: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_pro

Not sure how you got Encore to run in the trial of PrPro CS 6.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

My responses were about converting (Premiere or Elements) chapter markers to Encore chapter markers, so that the markers could be recognized by iDVD, which was the issue Frank was asking about.

I never referred to running Encore, except to download the trial to check it out, if desired. I haven't used Elements and don't know that Elements actually requires Encore just to enable that marker option; but if it does, a free trial of Encore can be downloaded.

I don't know why the subject of a Premiere trial came up.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to teffer13

Jeff,

What I was stating is that Encore is not available as a trial, so that will not work in the OP's case.

Now, I do not know iDVD, so if you say that the Encore Markers (not sure how one would do that with PrE, as it does not offer an ADL {Adobe Dynamic Link} to Encore) work there, that might be a viable workflow.

Thank you for the clarification,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Okay Bill, I see you're correct that there's no trial version of Encore. My mistake; I saw a "Try Now" link for Encore, but didn't click it to read the fine print on the destination page. Nice fake-out by Adobe...

Still, per Frank's issue, the real question is, using PrE, whether you can double-click on a marker and choose an option for Encore Chapter Marker. Adobe has confirmed that PrE doesn't have this option, sadly. But Premiere Pro does have it.

Another option would be to download the Premier Pro trial. Adobe Support was unable to confirm whether that Encore marker option/button does exist in the trial version of PrPro, but agreed that it's the full version of Premiere Pro and is likely to contain that Encore marker option.

Of course, a PrPro trial could be returned in 30 days without charge. I guess it depends on whether the marker issue is a one-time problem or an ongoing need.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to VideoFrank

Frank,

At least you have a workaround, albeit a convoluted one.

Just a hunch on my part, but I doubt that Adobe will implement Encore Chapter Markers, since Encore is only available with PrPro, and PrE does include a limited, and linear authoring function, using some of the same code, as Encore, but not all of it. Back when Encore WAS a stand-alone program, it retailed for about US $350, several times over what PrE retails for.

That iDVD can use the Encore Markers is great news, and thanks to Teffer13, I would never has suspected that. You are fortunate to have Premiere 6.5, which can write those Markers.

Normally, for more full-featured authoring, I recommend Sony DVD Architect, but think that it is only ported for the PC.

Now, and even when using my PrPro and Encore, I add Chapter Markers in Encore, and not in PrPro. However, in most cases, I edit my Projects, where a PrPro Sequence = a chapter, or scene, and then Import each Sequence as an Encore Timeline, so there are seldom many/any Chapter Markers.

Question for my edification: if you Export/Share (sans DVD Markers) from PrE, can you then add those in iDVD? Sorry to be so dumb on the subject, but I am a PC-only guy, and use Encore for all of my authoring needs, so hope to learn something new here, to help other Mac users in the future.

Good luck, and wish that I had more to offer,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points