Skip navigation
apollohayden
Currently Being Moderated

How do I change backgrounds in my PDF using Acrobat X?

Mar 13, 2012 12:01 AM

I have been wholly unsuccesful in changing my PDF background of certain documents.  It works for some, but not other documents.  Is there an easy explanation for this?  Here is the link to the PDF document I'm having trouble with:  http://www.geoffhayden.com/assets/eus.pdf

I am unable to change its background to any other color.  Thoughts?

I am using Adobe Acrobat X (10.1.2) on a Mac. 

Geoff

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to apollohayden

Hi, Apollo.

I'm moving your question to Acrobat forum, since it doesn't relate to our CreatePDF service.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to apollohayden

It is not clear what you are trying to do. What I saw was some title areas with a gray type background and some tables with a 2 level background. Other than that, everything is white in the background. So I really do not know what you are wanting to do. If you have an original document, it is always best to do the changes there and just create a new PDF. Editing things in a PDF is problematic, not that it can't be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to apollohayden

When you add the background with Adobe Acrobat you can also remove the background with Adobe Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to apollohayden

There is no zip file since we can no longer do attachments. Maybe you have your answer already.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to apollohayden

Is this what you are trying to achive?

I was selecting your images and noticed a whole page bounding box. Upon deleting it, this was the result.

No two front end software packages are going to populate a pdf with the same internal structure, even the same program can create different structure in a pdf depending on variables. pdf is an end result, it is meant to display unifomly.

Add to the variables, you utilized Mac's pdf creation.

Black Back.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to apollohayden

apollohayden wrote:

What is it about the conversion from Mac Pages to PDF that stumps the Acrobat application?

Geoff

Ananlogy - If I were to build you a house, I might use generous amounts of construction adhesive for setting boards; another builder might prefer to use screws. I might use all copper piping for the plumbing where another builder would use PVC.

The end result looks the same when you stand in the house. The underlying assets to create the product are different.

You should NOT be changing the look of your document in Acrobat beyond the use of simple tools, meant for simple changes. If your desire is for a black background, that should be incorporated in the application.

If however, you created a black background which was lost in the pdf conversion, than that supports discussion and troubleshooting; hence these forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to apollohayden

Daniel makes a valid point but that's not really what you asked for so here is one way to achieve the result you want.

What was "probably" done was to use Acrobat's Edit Object Tool.  This feature relies on you to have a couple of different types of graphic editing tools like Photoshop and Illustrator.  In this case Adobe Illustrator will open if you have it installed and selected as the editing application in the Edit Object Tool's preference.

The steps would be:

1.  Go to the page where you want to change the background.

2.  Select the Edit Object Tool

3.  Control+click the page and select "Edit Page..." from the context menu.

EditPage.png

4.  In Adobe Illustrator, select "Layers" from the "Expanded Panels" on the right hand side.

5.  In the Layers panel, expand Layer 1

Layer1.png

6.  In the Layer 1 expand the top <Group>

Group.png

7.  Go to the bottom two items in that <Group> and select both items (Shift+click) named <Path>

Path.png

8.  Select the "Trashcan" icon at the bottom of the "Layers" panel.

9.  The result should look something like this:

IllustratorResult.png

10.  In Adobe Illustrator go to File>Save

11.  Close the file

12. It should show up like you expect now on that page.

AcroResult.png

13. Repeat as necessary.

14.  Done

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Sabian Zildjian

Yes, I was able to use the Touch Up Object Tool in AA

I selected an open area of the page and noticed a bounding frame and hit delete out of curiosity. I repeated the step, efectively deleting two masks. That was it.

Illy can be used, but was not necessary. Had you not had the fonts used in the document, Illy would probably not be an alternative.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points