Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Book Module Export PDF Quality Poor - any solutions?

Mar 13, 2012 4:28 PM

Tags: #pdf #export #4 #book #quality #workflow #poor #lr4

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a solid solution / workflow for making PDF porfolio's for clients.

The commercial studio where I work needs to send pdf portfolio's to potential clients quite often.

So far we have not been able to find a perfect solution on how to do this with any adobe product (including ACROBAT!)

one of 2 things seem to continually happen.

1. Gigantic file sizes for decent quality PDF's (75 mb +)

2. Horrible color shifts and degraded picture quality for usably sized (3-7mb) portfolio's.

I was hopeful that the new Book Module in LR4 would solve this issue.

admitedly the quality is better IF I save it at jpeg quality 100 and a dpi of 240 but this resulted in a 74 MB file (for 31 images on a 8x10 page)

I clearly can not send a file that large with email....

as soon as I make the dpi or jpeg quality lower they look like total garbage...

Further more the colors shift greatly (on the lower res versions) when opened in something other then Acrobat reader (ie Mac Preview)

Could someone please share a workflow that will result in profesional quality PDF's at a screen resolution.

We have / use the CS5 suite / LR4 / Acrobat Pro

In short as a PRO studio I want PRO quality our of my PRO software...

I would like to keep it as simple and streamlined as possible.

and if at all possible do it all within LR4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Terraform1

Just one comment: JPEG quality 100? As a PRO studio you should have more than basic knowledge, so I would recommend to start reading with:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/formatsjpeg/a/jpegmythsfacts.htm

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/export-quality-tester

After you will read it, you will probably understand that your settings are not correct and you need to play with them to achieve the expected results.

The other point is about your expectations: to expect that you will be able to send within 1 e-mail 31 pages 8x10 is not so realistic. If each picture would have 200kb, the e-mail would have 6mb+20% on the encoding... Such presentations are shared on the web/ftp (you will share a link with the client). Anyway the final size is fully dependent on the things you want to share.

If you want, I can provide you an offline help, just drop me a message.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Terraform1

Do all of your client portfolios need print resolution (i.e. 240 / 300 ppi)?

Or are these portfolios used as an initial preview for placement and/or selection of images and only viewed on screen? If this is the case you can lower your image resolution to screen resolution (I usually go for 100 ppi) which greatly reduces file size. Later on when it comes to sending images with print resolution you probably won't have to send so many.

Also, professional clients usually have an FTP server for uploading of images. There are no file size constraints for FTP.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to Terraform1

I see, it seems your workflow is a bit different than mine.

Have you tried "YouSendIt"?

https://www.yousendit.com/info-features-send-large-file?s=4000765&cid= ppc-4000765

My stock company used it and I thought it was rather friendly to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Terraform1

Something I do when I need to send larger files (PDF or other types that would be in excess of 2MB) I store them on my web server and send a link to the recipient ... then they don't have the issues of large files getting bounced by their email provider and can download at their leisure ... I also have used Droppbox as well ...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Terraform1

Not sure if it will help your file size issue.

But a suggestion for a quick streamlined workflow to get a pdf portfolio out of LR:

The slideshow module.

Create one oe several easy presets, e.g. Black background, thin white border around the pic, maybe caption or title as text.

Add your identity plate, maybe creatively use it for text intro and extra pages.

Export it to pdf, this when you choose your size determining settings.

Biggest diadvantage: portrait oriented images are rather small, as I do not turn them.

To me that is the real purpose I see slideshow module fit...

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Terraform1

Terraform1 wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a solid solution / workflow for making PDF porfolio's for clients.

The commercial studio where I work needs to send pdf portfolio's to potential clients quite often.

So far we have not been able to find a perfect solution on how to do this with any adobe product (including ACROBAT!)

one of 2 things seem to continually happen.

1. Gigantic file sizes for decent quality PDF's (75 mb +)

2. Horrible color shifts and degraded picture quality for usably sized (3-7mb) portfolio's.

I was hopeful that the new Book Module in LR4 would solve this issue.

admitedly the quality is better IF I save it at jpeg quality 100 and a dpi of 240 but this resulted in a 74 MB file (for 31 images on a 8x10 page)

I clearly can not send a file that large with email....

Since you have Adobe Acrobat Pro I suggest using the 'PDF Optimizer' tool located under 'Advanced' on the toolbar' with your LR Book module PDF output file. For screen viewed PDFs selecting 'Standard' under the 'Settings' menu should substantially reduce file size while retaining image quality. You can also create your own 'Custom' settings. To try different settings make sure you 'Save' the optimized PDF file with a different name. Then you can open the original LR Book PDF and try it again with different optimization settings. I found the 'Standard' setting reduces the Book module PDF file size to about 1/5 the size, and still looks fine on my 25" 1920 x 1080 monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to trshaner

Book module for PDF-creation is preferable to Slideshow module if you want several images on 1 page and you are ok with the page sizes offered, since these are limited by Blurb.

In Slideshow you specify JPG-quality (so 85 should be ok) and width+height, e.g. 1024x768 for an iPad or most screens if file size is an issue. But you are limited to 1 image per page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

I just created Book module and Slideshow module PDF exports using the same files with LR4 using 1920 x 1080 and 91 quality settings in the Slideshow module. I then used 'Standard' optimization with Acrobat Pro to reduce the file size. The optimized Slideshow module PDF file is 4.5 times larger than the optimized Book module PDF (9.1 MB vs 2.0 MB). Interestingly the Slideshow module PDF file did not get any smaller using the Standard optimization setting in Acrobat Pro 9. In addition, the Slideshow module PDF image quality is slightly lower than the significantly smaller Book module PDF file.

I tried creating a Slideshow module PDF export with 1200 x 800, 91 quality, and Standard PDF optimization. The file size dropped to 5.5 MB, which is still 2.5 times larger than that obtainable using the Book module PDF export and Standard PDF optimization. The 1200 x 800 Slideshow PDF export now also has much lower image quality. I'm not sure what's causing the difference in PDF file sizes, but clearly the LR4 Book module export with Standard optimization using Adobe Acrobat is the way to go if you want to create a portfolio presentation for onscreen viewing.

It's a shame Adobe didn't add an Export PDF option in the Book module with user selectable screen resolutions similar to what's in the Slideshow module. I am sure virtually every LR user creating Blurb books with LR4 would love to have the option of creating compact lower-resolution PDF file copies of their books for onscreen viewing and distribution. To do so now requires purchasing Adobe Acrobat Pro at a cost of about $395!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to Terraform1

For "Pro" color accuracy in LR it is mandatory to calibrate your monitor(s) by creating a custom profile with a hardware claibration device. Are you calibrating your monitor with a device such as X-Rite i1 Display or Datacolor Spyder? LR will display colors differently than other applications if you have an incorrect or no color profile associated with the display. The profile ahould also be in ICC version 2 format and not ICC version 4, which LR appears to not be fully compatible.

I am also confused by your current settings/workflow listed.  I don't see any options in the LR4 Book module 'Export Book to PDF' for setting Color Space, JPEG Quality, DPI or Sharpening! How are you creating your 7x7 LR Book PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to Terraform1

The mix of High sharpening and lowish PPI might be part. Does it look any better at standard sharpening and 300ppi?

The method for template creation has not been published publicly yet, although it has been referred to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Seán McCormack

Thanks, I haven't used the LR4 Book module that much and only saw the 'Export Book to PDF' button at the left-bottom of the screen. I tried a Book module 'PDF' Export using 7x7 size, Quality 80, sRGB, 150 dpi, and Standard Glossy sharpening. Here are the results:

1) PDF file size = 3.3 MB

2) Standard Optimized PDF (Acrobat 9 compatibility) = 3.2 MB

I next tried the 'Export Book to PDF' button:

3) PDF file size = 4.8 MB

4) Standard Optimized PDF (Acrobat 9 compatibility) = 975 KB

When viewed on my 25" 1920 x1080 monitor on Windows 7 64bit in Acrobat 9 Pro at 'Fit to Page' zoom size all four PDF files look identical in color and sharpness. When viewed in 'Full Screen' mode only the largest file size PDF (#3 above) created using the 'Export Book to PDF' button exhibits good sharpness. This is probably due to the size of the exported JPEG image having insufficient resolution to fill the screen at 100% (1:1 pixel mapping):

7" x 7" Book at 150 dpi = 6.88" x 150 = 1032x 1032 (Mapped to my 1920 x 1080 monitor)

Requires 1080/6.88" = 157 dpi minimum

7" x 7" Book at 170dpi = 6.88” x 170= 1170 x 1170 (Mapped to your 2560 x 1440 monitor)

Requires 1440/6.88" = 210 dpi minimum

I next created a Book PDF file (3.7 MB) with the above calculated 157 dpi for my 1920 x1080 monitor viewing in Full Screen mode. The results are as sharp as the full-size ‘Export Book to PDF’ file (4.8 MB). I then tried a PDF optimization of the 4.8 MB file using Acrobat Optimization downsample setting of 157 dpi for images above 235 dpi and obtained an equally sharp file 1.0 MB in size. So this method still seems to produce a smaller file than obtainable direct from the LR Book module.

For your NEC MultiSync PA271w monitor with higher 2560 x1440 resolution try using 210 dpi, 80 quality and Standard Glossy Sharpening. When I used Matte High settings the image was clearly over-sharpened for screen viewing. Next try the ‘Export to PDF’ button and then ‘PDF Optimization’ in Acrobat Pro using 210 dpi downsample setting. It shouldn’t hurt to go slightly higher in dpi, but you don’t want to go lower than ‘Full Screen’ 1:1 pixel mapping.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Terraform1

If your outputting at high qualities, I'm not surprised at the size. Bearing in mind screen sizes, a 7X7 book at quality 70-75 should be more than enough. Roll on custom template sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Terraform1

Terraform1 wrote:

@Seán McCormack

yeah I agree with the sharpening being too much

but when outputing it had a tendency to go really really soft...

and Yes it does look good at 300dpi

but then it renders large and is not something I can send via emal to clients.

When I started I simiply wanted an emailable promo that looked good on all computers and contained from 20-30 images.

in my mind it should have been simple enough :-P

I guess I was wrong...

I wouldn't give up on PDFs as you will definitely get more color variability from web browser based viewing. I can't explain why you are seeing color differences between LR Book module and Acrobat, as I don't on my Windows 7 system. If you don't know what resolution monitor your clients will be using, just assume the worst case. The highest resolution monitor I could find is the Apple/Dell 30", which is 2560 x 1600. I would just use the "dumbed down" 'Export Book to PDF' button in LR Book module and then Optimize with Acrobat Pro using 1600/6.88 = 233 dpi Downsample for images above 240 dpi. Using 233 dpi and 'medium JPEG compression' resolution the file size reduced to 1.8 MB for 12 pages using the 7x7 example I posted previously, or about 4.5 MB for 30 pages. The image quality looks good and that should be compact enough for emailing.

The soft rendering you are seeing is primarily due to insufficient resolution in the PDF, for the reason I explained in my last post. Using 233 dpi during Acrobat PDF Optimization will prevent that from happening, at least for all monitors in use today. Just make sure to set the Downsample cutoff size ('for images above') less than 300 dpi, which is the native Blurb book PDF resolution, or Acrobat will not optimize the file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to trshaner

In case anyone is still following this thread, I have a related question. I can export to PDF and have them printed at MagCloud and the quality is quite good, actually very good. However, I tried a book with the page background color being black, (000000 HEX). When I export this book to PDF blacks are no longer black but (090B0C HEX). I tried this on two separate computers with identical results. If I export the same book to JPEG, the background is 000000 and I can combine them to a PDF file which retains the black level. Exporting a slide show to PDF does not have this problem.

Oh, by the way, the blacks in the photograph are equally diluted which lowers the expected contrast especially at the low end.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to eliminate this from happening? Is there some compensation done accounting for the ink levels? You can create a couple of pages in a book, change the background color to black (000000) and export book to PDF. Using a color picker (I am using FastStone screen capture utility to measure the black levels in Lightroom and also in PDF) you can check the black levels. I would like to know your results.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to keptlight

This may be due to lack of proper color mangement when using Fastone screen capture.

I created a one-page book with black background and Exported to PDF and JPEG with the following settings:

Book Settings.jpg

I then opened both images using PS CS6 and the black background is 0,0,0 for both the PDF and JPEG. What I did notice is that less sharpening is being applied to the JPEG image. I'm going to report this finding here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_1_book_modul e_export_to_jpeg_does_not_apply_sharpening?utm_content=topic_link&utm_ medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to trshaner

Thank you. I did not open the exported PDF in FastStone, but I was using an eyedropper utility its screen capture software has. It is also very easy to see the difference in black in side-by-side comparison. For comparison, I am attaching two PDF files. The first one is exported from the book module as a PDF. The settings are identical to yours except the resolution is 310 ppi. The second one is exported from the book module as JPEG and then pulled into a PDF using Acrobat. You can take a look at the black levels in two PDF files.

For the record, I am using a calibrated and profiled monitor.

I could not uplad the PDF files, here are the links to see them. I deleted all the pages and left only the cover to reduce the file size:

Exported from Lightroom Book module as PDF

Exported from Lightroom Book module as JPEG then combined in to a PDF

I will be very interested to hear what you measure the black values to be in two files. Thank you again.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to keptlight

Without any measuring, just judging visually I find a big difference in vibrance / hue/ brightness of the colour of the headline.

The yellow directly from the Book-module-PDF seems greyish subdued.

A little less pronounced in the blue hues, but still noticeable.

Who knows what Adobe may have done in order to accomodate some Blurb-needs in colour rendering...?

This adds to my poor opinion of the Book module.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Thank Cornelia. As trshaner tested, his ouputs have identical black levels. I wonder if this is related to my printing lighter than expected problem I discussed elsewhere?

Message was edited by: keptlight

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to trshaner

Hello again trshaner, and thanks for checking this out. If you recall, I had another thread on Lightroom printing lighter than expected. I wonder if these two issues are related to one another. Do you suggest any place, forum, person to contact about this issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to keptlight

I just downloaded the two PDFs you posted. When opening them in PS CS6 the PDF created from the JPEG shows sRGB profile assigned and the LR Book Export PDF shows no profile assigned (RGB). The black background is 0,0,0 in both, but the color is different.

What Color Profile are you selecting in the LR Book Settings for Export to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to trshaner

I can confirm that Export to PDF from the Book module does not match the original image.

The Book module Export to JPEG and subsequent convert to PDF both match the original image.

The difference is most visible in the Deep Blue patch.

Export to JPEG then create PDF                     Export to PDF

Book Module Export Compare.jpg

Clearly something is broken with the Book module color management when using 'Export to PDF' function.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to trshaner

the LR Book Export PDF shows no profile assigned (RGB).

Weird. I just tried it and I get correctly embedded sRGB profiles in the pdf file when sucking the images into Photoshop (you have to select images in the import dialog). I see no difference between export to pdf and export to jpeg colorwise. This is LR 4.3 RC on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

Yes, when opening my own Book Export to PDF and Export to JPEG converted to PDF in PS CS6 the both have sRGB profiles and identical images.

Compare your own Book module Export to PDF (sRGB) to the Export to JPEG converted to PDF outside of LR using Acrobat or Adobe reader, and both to the original in LR.

I'm using LR4.2, so have no idea if LR4.3 RC is different.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner, thank you for doing this test and confirming my problems. Since some users are reporting accurate results, it may impact some users under some conditions.  The question is, where do we go from here?

I am also using LR 4.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to keptlight

Update: I spent about 3 hours to do the following:

1. Deactivated all Adobe suite products, all single applications, including Lightroom and uninstalled every single Adobe product.
    2. Downloaded and ran Creative Suite cleaning script and ran it twice and chose to clean "All" to scrub the remnants of uninstalled applications
    3. Then removed every single folder and its content that said "Adobe" on it, since I had no Adobe applications including plugins, readers, etc deleting those folders had no negative impact
    4. I reinstalled Lightroom 4.2 and produced a single page book export to PDF
    5. I had to download the Acrobat Reader to open it, but when I opened the file and checked the black level it was 0,0,0 on RGB values

Technically, at least for the time being, this deep cleaning seemed to have fixed the book export problem. I am not sure if it will return when I install the CS6 programs again. It is a shame that I had to spend 3 hours to come to this point, and will spend probably that much more to install the other applications, plugins, etc. Couldn't there be, shouldn't there be some kind of diagnostic Adobe provides to find out what ails the collection of its own program? I know the answer will be "it is a user problem and specific to the user/computer".

For the time being on my laptop this has fixed the problem. I am not sure how much longer it will take to do this kind of deep cleaning on my desktop, my main computer, where I have more of the CS6 applications installed along with more plugins. It sounds like a whole day to me.

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO FOLLOW THE SAME STEPS, please make sure to deactivate the programs before uninstalling.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 8:37 PM   in reply to keptlight

Update: Update: I opened one of the PDF files I created earlier which was reading the wrong black values. This time it displayed the black areas as 0,0,0 ! It is tempting to conclude that the problem lied in Acrobat, but I am not ready to reach that conclusion. It will be easy enough to try it (tomorrow) on my desktop. However, with so many color management links and settings it is conceiveable that the problem may have tentacles and more deeply rooted. I will report again with more information of what I removed and how.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to keptlight

The black background level is 0,0,0 for all of the Book module PDF and JPEG exports on my system. This was probably something unique to your system that you have now fixed.

Are you still seeing the color differences as displayed in the two posted PDFs, or is this now fixed as well?

Exported from Lightroom Book module as PDF

Exported from Lightroom Book module as JPEG then combined in to a PDF

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to trshaner

I did the extensive cleaning on my desktop to the point that there was no Adobe product installed, then ran the CS cleanup script, and deleted all Adobe named folders. Installed Lightroom 4.2 and exported a book to PDF. I had to download and install the Acrobat Reader but the numbers on the black were accurate, all zeros.

Then I installed the CS6, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat X, and Bridge. When I opened the PDF file in Acrobat X, the blacks get lighter again, the values are 9,11,12 for RGB. This is as clean an installation I could muster short of getting a new computer. The one thing that has been "fixed" is that I can view the PDF in Adobe Reader accurately which produced the same results as Acrobat X yesterday. It is some kind of color management snafu Adobe products are creating and I have now way of knowing what it is, why it is happening, or how to fix it.

One difference I observed between Adobe Reader and Acrobat X, the Reader does not have an option for color management settings in the preferences whereas Acrobat X does. That's another reason I am inclined to point to a mixed up color management somewhere, where?

(Trshaner, as an aside, my prints from Lightroom with no other Adobe product installed with a fresh install of Lightroom 4.2 are still too light. I was hoping that this deep cleaning cold take care of that as well, alas...)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to keptlight

What are your Acrobat X Preferences> Color Management> Color Setup > Working Spaces and Conversion Options?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to trshaner

It was at default, North America General Purpose 2. I set my color preferences in Photoshop and switched the color space to ProPhoto and saved it. Using Bridge/Tools/Creative Suite Color settings I synchronized the settings. That said, the behavior of Acrobat X has not changed in terms of rendering blacks between those two settings. What has changed is the actual numeric values I read from blacks, ever so slightly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to keptlight

I just did screen capture of the open PDF in Acrobat and pasted it into PS to measure the blacks.  I'm getting 9,11,13, which matches what you are seeing. I took the same raw image and exported from LR Develop module to ProPhoto RGB, placed the image into an InDesign document, and then exported to PDF sRGB space. The InDesign PDF Blacks are 0,0,0, but nothing  in the Book module PDF export is below 9,11,13.

I think we have confirmed there is a problem with the Book module's color management, at least with LR4.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to trshaner

Yes, those are the numbers I am getting in Acrobat X. But in Adobe Reader, the numbers are 0,0,0. I am not sure which is at fault, Lightroom passing the wrong color space or Acrobat X not decoding the color space accurately.

Interestingly, the net result is similar to my lighter prints from Lightroom. That's why I went through all the trouble to do as clean an install as I could. But, that did not take me anywere new.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to keptlight

Another piece of information. When I open the PDF which was created by exporting to PDF from Lightroom I see the following screen, note the red arrow. There is no color space indicated, nor selectable:

PDF2PS2.jpg

However, when I open the PDF that was created after exporting the book as JPEG, the opening dialog indicates sRGB color space, see the capture:

PDF2PS1.jpg

The first case, when imported assumes the active color space. If Photoshop is set to ProPhoto the imported image has correct blacks but the gold lettering becomes too red. It does not get any better by converting to sRGB or even assigning sRGB. If I set Photohop color space to sRGB before importing the PDF page, the imported image is reasonably close to the original.

But it is noteworthy that the PDF exported from Lightroom comes in simply as RGB. The other options there are CMYK and Lab color.

I sure hope with this much information ther will someday be a fix for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to keptlight

What you see is normal. You should select images from the Photoshop import

module and then check how the image comes in. The difference between the

two pdf creation methods is that when you export as pdf, a graphical pdf

gets created that has the images as elements placed on the pages. When you

export to jpeg and than generate a pdf from that, the pdf is a container of

jpegs, not of pages with images placed on it. The difference is subtle I

agree, but what it means is that in the pdf export the pages themselves

have no assigned colorspace, but the images placed on it do which is why

Photoshop doesn't see the space except when you change the mode to "image",

in the jpeg export the entire pages have a color space.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points