Skip navigation
hbarrison
Currently Being Moderated

RE-NAME

Mar 14, 2012 7:38 AM

Can a file be renamed without the complicated use of renaming them on the desktop and synching with iTunes?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to hbarrison

Currently, we don't have a way to rename a file. Thank you for your feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to hbarrison

I too would love to have an easy way to rename files on the iPad directly without having to rename using the hack hbarrison mentioned. Come on guys, it is a really simple feature being requested!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Stuart Nash

The hard part is that we have limited resources and many simple and difficult features requested (e.g. annotations, forms) so we work hard to prioritize them. We also have to think about a bigger picture. Is rename something that works well in our current experience design? What's the best interaction model for rename that is usable but doesn't clutter the interface while scaling to what may eventually be a full-fledged file manager (folders, delete, move, tagging, sorting ...)? We're working hard on our next release and I expect taht many will find the new features to be great, while some will find something msising. Thanks for your feedback - this is a request that we're giving some thought, though I can't promise when we'll get to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to hbarrison

Good Grief!  This is a must-have feature...

~Charlie Brown

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to Discovertek

So are forms, commenting, text selection and a host of other features we just released. Unfortunately, this release does not include a rename file function.

I do have one question - which version of ios are you using? Older versions of the operating system used convoluted names when files were opened from Mail or Safari. Newer versions of the os give us the proper name of the file. This might make the "rename" issue less important for you. Please let me know if this is the case. We do hear the rename request from time to time, but we hear it much less frequently after Apple updated ios to give proper filenames when opening files from Safari and Mail.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-reader/id469337564?mt=8

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

It's not a problem with programs or OS but with how other devices create PDF documents. Our copier will allow an override of the auto numerical naming, but it takes several steps and is a hassle to type. Much easier to let it email me the default, then rename in an App like GoodReader. Most PDF readers have the feature, and I'd vote RENAMING over the "must haves" you list in the new release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Paws2Think

Thank you - this is an excellent case I hadn't considered (emailing to a mobile device from another device where authoring the name is painful). We've certainly heard the request to rename before, and I'll add another "vote" for that in our prioritization. Thank you for taking the time to explain your request.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to hbarrison

Second vote for rename. Most of the time my PDF files get turned into "gibberish name.pdf." This is a feature your competetors have.

How do people "rename" in itunes?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

While the iOS is important, it cant be the primary variable. I have various versions on my devices. I have 4.1 on my iPad and can't upgrade due to apps requiring that iOS, and 5.1 on my iPhone. Most of the time I'm receiving a PDF in an email and don't control the name.  Therefore, the name is whatever it's named when received. I understand the need for prioritizing and would hope this one moves up the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to hbarrison

I too find RENAME is a must-have feature. I don't mind to pick up a proper name before I sync the file to my iPad, but sometimes I need to download PDF files directly inside Safari and open it in Adobe Reader, which ends up to be a bunch of weirdly named files for which I can not figure out which is which without actually openning it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to Keny Woo

Many folks will find that uprading to ios 5 eliminates the "jibberish" problem. I do understand that this is not an option for people like larrybox9999 and that regardless, people would like to be able to rename even regular files. This is something we're actively considering for a future release. Please watch as we continue to improve the app!

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

Add me to the list, would love to see this feature!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

I also vote for a rename function. People send me pdf's all the time with non-descriptive names. I'd love to be able to rename them so I can tell the difference between 453279.pdf and 8642976. PDF!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Jim0046505

This feature is now available in the Document browser for the Adobe Reader. Simply tap on the edit button and tap the button with the "I..." picture.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points