Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Could I do highlight some text on PDF document that is opened by Adobe Reader on IPad

Mar 15, 2012 12:46 AM

I do not see any highlight symbol on Acobat reader App. For IPad. How do I find it and use it on my document?

Please.....advise me to do.....Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to g2012cat

Unfortunately the current version of Reader for iOS does not support highlighting at this time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to LoriAUC

This is a common request and a feature that we are considering for a future release. Please keep watching for updates! Thank you for the question.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

Hi Pat

Is there any update on highlighthing?

Are the API open on iOS?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to WPFDEV

Yes, you should be able to highlight text in the current version. The tool is under the "annotation" tools (the cloud icon).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to g2012cat

As noted above, highlighint (as well as other useful annotations) are now available. BUT: Generally restricted to electronic use. For example, any annotations made to file cannot be printed or passed on to another App (e.g., iBooks or DocsToGo) -- the annotations are lost in the print or "Open In…" transfer. Annotations are passed if emailed or saved to the computer with iTunes, but can be read ONLY by another Adobe program or Apple's Preview. Preview can print the annotations where the iPad Adobe Reader cannot. I don't know if this is a problem with Adobe or the way other software understands Adobe. Probably a little of both.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to NoMan99

Hi Pat

Can I pass the xml data for highlight (the fast highlight using external server) as well on iPad?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to WPFDEV

The annotations are actually not lost, but instead the issue is that the other viewers don't know how to display them. Most PDF viewers on ios use the Quartz rendering framework that is built into the ios. This framework does not display annotations due to a limitation in the Apple rendering code. However, if you open the document in a Reader that does support annotations (like the Adobe Reader on mobile or Desktop), you would see the anntations.

There is no API for extracting this information in ios. It could be done on a server with a library for parsing PDF, or on a desktop Reader or Acrobat product using PDF JavaScript.

As for printing annotations from the Mobile Reader: This is a feature we are actively looking at for a release that is coming soon. Please watch for future updates!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

Thanks for the explanation, Pat. That's very helpful. Is there any way that the Adobe Reader App can save a file as a flattened PDF? If not, is that capability being considered?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to NoMan99

We've thought about this, but we've resisted on philosophical grounds. Once an annotation is "flattened", all information about that annotation is lost (like who made it, when it was made and in some cases more important information like text associated with a sticky note). We are planning to add the ability to print a flattened PDF which will make printing work much better for documents with annotations and forms. That is planned for a release that is in review with Apple right now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points