Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get my scanner to scan files in PDF version 1.4 or above? They all scan in 1.3

Mar 15, 2012 10:49 AM

Tags: #acrobat #pdf #adobe #version #update #scanner #reader #drivers

Hi,

Thanks for your help with this question.

I am scanning documents into PDFs and they are all scanning in version 1.3. What determines the version of the PDF? How can I get them to scan in version 1.4 or above? I have the latest Adobe reader and my scanner is up to date on its drivers. The application that I am uploading the PDF to does not accept version 1.3. I could convert them all but that is creating another step and need my whole office to be scanning in the latest version and they will not want to all update each PDF. What do I need to update to get it to default to the latest version?

Please help with this problem I need it in the oldest version in order to complete the work required of my with my company.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to ryanb7

I have the latest Adobe reader

Adobe Reader cannot create a PDF (even from a scan).

Acrobat (Standard or Pro) is required for that.

Even with Acrobat the actual "scan" and image output is a process that is exclusive to the scanner and its software.

The scanner/scanner software image output file is handed off to Acrobat for conversion to PDF.

Not having Acrobat means that the PDF created is coming from software bundled with the scanner/scanner software.

That a version 1.3 (Acrobat 4) PDF is created indicates the bundled stuff is, well... "old" .

By design Acrobat creates/saves a PDF to a PDF version that is "one back".

Acrobat Pro has the ability to process a given PDF to be compatible with different PDF versions.

(e.g., the Optimizer facility or Preflights)

If it is important that you have a PDF created to a newer version you may want to consider obtaining Acrobat or updating whatever was bundled with your scanner.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to ryanb7

Drivers from the scanner vendor's site are not what is providing the output PDF.

Typically, a CD or DVD comes with a scanner. Look through those to see what was bundled.

There may be some information at the scanner vendor's website.

Should you install Acrobat then it can "talk" to a scanner provided the scanner uses TWAIN scanner drivers or Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) drivers.

You can use Acrobat to "create pdf from scanner".

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to ryanb7

Commercial scanner first - you'll want to speak with the vendor that provides service.

Individual scanners connected to local machines - Ayep; same vendor but different models or different vendors -- either would mean individual, piecemeal resolution.

If the devices are "office" equipment then someone-somewhere ought to have custody of the CDs / DVDs that came with the devices (...they are "business assets, no?).

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to ryanb7

Having the device's software CD/DVD will let you try to determine what may have been bundled that takes the scanner image file output and processes it to PDF (version 1.3). If you can identify what it is you can determine if that software is still available &, if available, does the vendor provide something current.

Or, look through the local machine(s) listing of installed applications.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points