• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Read Out Loud: Setting voice speed?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting voice speed in Read Out Loud doesn't work right. When I choose Adobe Reader > Preferences and uncheck the “Use default speech attributes” checkbox, and then change the number in the “Words per minute” field within the allowable range, click OK and then choose View > Read Out Loud, the reading rate DOES NOT CHANGE, no matter what numbers I set in the  “Words per minute” field.

This worked in previous versions of Adobe Reader. Why doesn't it work in the current version? I used to use this feature a lot, and it is very annoying that it reads at the same slow, plodding rate no matter what I set it to.

Adobe Reader 9.5.0

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

Voice: Ryan Infovox Ivox HQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  I can change the voice* but even with the "use default speech attributes" button unchecked, changing the pitch or WPM does absolutely nothing.  Bug?

* even though I can change the voice, they all sound awful and mechanical - barely like the actual voices when played using other Mac apps.  I figure maybe this has something to do with using an incorrect pitch, but since I can't change the pitch, they all just sound awful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. Running Windows 8, and the default TTS works just fine outside of Adobe Reader DC, but when reading my document, the voice pauses between each word as if it is the end of a sentence, even when there are only spaces and no punctuation between words. Hyphenated compound words (e.g. "merry-go-round") are read correctly. Increasing the WPM speed changes the speed that individual words are read, but phrases/sentences still have the same pause between each word.

When using the selection tool, it is able to recognize text, line breaks, and spaces normally.

I've tried several different documents and all have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Could anyone solve this problem? I'm surprised that none gave any answer. Thanks in advance for any help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You replied to a 5-year old thread about a version that's extremely old by now.

I assume you don't use Reader 9. If you do, there's nothing we can do to help as that version is not supported any longer and not compatible with any current OS. Try posting a new question with the full details of the issue you're encountering, as well as your OS and application versions, and you might get some help with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with latest version of adobe acrobat on Win 10. Spaces between words are so long that TTS is currently impossible to use for me. I really hope for a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Auf Deutsch schreiben.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines