• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Instantiating movieclips from large jpg's speedup needed

Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ls,

I've noticed that using large jpg;'s that are highly compressed take a lot of time to appear as a mc on stage after calling " new mcname();"

I have doubled my background from 1500X900 to 3000X1800. I use a movieclip in library containing the .jpg source image.

Creating the larger one takes about 5 times longer to appear.

Kicking my levels start from about 4 seconds to a 20 second wait.

Does this have to do with the .jpg compression method (standard v.s progressive/optimized)?

Is there a library, or basicly.. ill do anything, I can use to speed this up?

Not using .jpg is not an option because the uncompressed picture is about 22Mb,  compressed only about 800Kb.

Its for a mobile app.

Regards,

Mac

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 4 times larger so it shouldn't be a surprise it takes about 5 timeline longer to render.

i don't believe compression is an issue.  that's just a lot of pixels to render for a mobile. 

be sure your enabling the cacheAsBitmap property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi & thank you

Well I was expecting to see a drop in frame rate, but this hardly happens (thanks to good clipping on the part of the Adobe team me thinks)

Just that the startup time has increased to a point that I find, almost, unacceptable.

First I had the background level/screen buildup from tiles.

I tried putting in a full scale bitmap to be able to get away from the tiled game look.

It looks pretty amazing, but to wait 15-20 seconds for a level start. thats steep.

Anyhoe, thanks again for your reply and insight.

And yes I use the cache as bitmap.

Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i wouldn't expect a frame rate issue once your movieclip is cached as a bitmap.  it's the initial caching and rendering that's time-consuming.  but after that it should be relatively speedy to translate the bitmap's x,y properties as long as you're not doing anything that requires re-caching.

it might be an interesting experiment if you do something like rotate your movieclip.  if that's not as time-consuming as the initial display delay, there must be something else, in addition, to caching and rendering that causes the initial delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines