Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

.PDF File Association for All User Profiles

Mar 19, 2012 9:24 AM

Tags: #acrobat_x #.pdf #acrobat_pro_x #10.1.2 #file_associations

Hello. I am currently working on a deployment of Adobe Acrobat X Professional.  The deployment works folllowing this process:

• Remove Foxit Reader
  • Install Adobe Acrobat X Professional (Which removes Adobe Acrobat 8)
  • Run command >>> assoc .pdf = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

Foxit removes itself fine, Acrobat 8 gets removed, and Acrobat X is installed, the only issue is PDF files are not associated with Acrobat X.  If you choose to open the pdf in a browser it opens in Acrobat fine, but if you have a PDF saved somewhere it pops up asking what program to open it with.

I am looking for a way to associate PDF files with Adobe Acrobat X Professional across all user profiles.  I thought the command assoc .pdf = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1" was going to be my solution but it does not work, even though it runs fine.

Any ideas / advice is greatly appreciated, even if you point out that I am doing something complety incorrect.

Thanks,

Larry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to roboticsguy1988

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf\OpenWithList

This should contain Acrobat.exe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Acrobat.exe\shell\Open\command  -> Default String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to roboticsguy1988

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to roboticsguy1988

Hi, not sure if you had the right command there... ftype and assoc are used for associations. .pdf should have the value:

C:\Users>assoc .pdf

.pdf=AcroExch.Document

To associate with Acrobat use ftype:

ftype AcroExch.Document="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

Cheers,

Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points