Skip navigation
Andy_B1
Currently Being Moderated

Trying to play an old shockwave 9 file on 11.6.4.634

Mar 20, 2012 5:53 AM

I have a web site that our students go to frequently that has and old shockwave file that was made with version 9.  It will not run at all in any browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome) with shockwave 11.6.4.634 installed.  I called the support people at the web site in question and they told me that I would have to remove 11.6 and install 9.  The problem with that is obviously I would have LOTS of other sites that would fail to run due to the old version of shockwave.  Is there any way to get 11.6 to run version 9 files?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Andy_B1

If you have the compatibility components (for Windows only) installed, then they should run SW9 files without any issues. If you are running MacOS then you're probably out of luck, unless someone can update the files for you and re-publish to SW11+

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Andy_B1

Most old stuff will run with no problem on a Mac, provided the content didn't use some specific Xtras that are no longer supported (the older physics Xtra comes to mind). Another big Mac problem is that updateStage no longer does anything on a Mac, so if you do that in loops you'll never see a change on the screen.

I'm often amazed that almost everything I created in Director 4 on the web still runs on my Mac.

As Sean said, Windows will also do well, but your computer needs to be able to install the old version in the background if it wasn't already installed. This can sometimes be a problem based on the security settings on the computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Doc Raman

Doc, Is there any chance Adobe will fix that updatestage bug?  Is there any way I can work around it? Kayingleside.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to ShockwaveJigsaws

From what I've heard the updateStage bug won't be getting fixed.

To work around it you basic have to do the changes on a frame event. Here is one quick example in a behavior (not a movieScript). I just typed this on the fly, so could be a typo/glitch.

-- old version which would just move a sprite from 0 to 100 horizontally, would call the wantToDoAnimation handler to start the motion

property pMySprite

on beginSprite me

pMySprite = sprite(me.spriteNum)

end

on wantToDoAnimation me

x = 0

repeat with x = 0 to 100

pMySprite.locH = x

end repeat

end

-- new version, need to make a call to start the animation, add some properties

property pAnimating

property pX

property pMySprite

on beginSprite me

pAnimating = 0

pMySprite = sprite(me.spriteNum)

end

on exitFrame me

if pAnimating then

pX = pX + 1

pSprite.locH = pX

if pX >= 100 then

pAnimating = 0

end if

return -- I only have this in here is I don't want anything else to happen whle animation is happening

end if

-- code for other exitFrame stuff you may have

end

on wantToDoAnimation me

pX = 0

pAnimating = 1

end

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)