Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Setting up a DPS App for Social Networking

Mar 21, 2012 4:00 AM

In DPS help it says: ‘If you have not already done so, create a web page for your publication. Create metadata to determine which image is used as the thumbnail image.’

Can someone at Adobe expand on this?

By webpage, does this mean facebook page?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 21, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to duncan93

Here's how the Facebook button currently works. The customer taps Facebook in the viewer and adds a comment, a message appears on the Facebook wall. This comment includes a link to whichever web page the publisher specifies. (In the future, this link will jump to a web version of the article, but that's not how it works now.) The web page you specify should provide information about your publication, such as www.wired.com for Wired magazine.

The comment on the Facebook wall also includes a thumbnail image that's pulled from the publication web site -- usually the first image it finds. If you want a specific image to appear, you can control it. There is a link at the bottom of the help article that describes how to control the thumbnail image.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Why isn't sharing single edition apps on Facebook available? The current

method is especially possible in a single edition environment.

Pro and enterprise should get the hosted solution, if not all.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi Bob. When I tap the Facbook icon in our app it does take me to facebook. However, when I make a comment it does not provide any content other than my message. There is no link, thumbnail or anything like that. We registered our app through facebook and submitted a version 19 version of our app which was approved last Friday. Any tips on where to start trouble shooting?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 13, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Lukeymonster

There should be a link that jumps to the publication URL (which for my app is a blog entry). In the future, this link should point to a web version of the article instead of the publication URL.

Where is your Facebook page?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob. I meant to reply earlier but had a million things going on. I set up everything according to the instructions Adobe provided to me including the link that should appear on once the button is clicked. I guess I am a little confused by your question of Where is my facebook page.

One thing to note, the Facebook page for my magazine was created as a group under the editors facebook page. I am starting to think that may be the issue. Does a facebook page that works with DPS have to be a master account, or can you also use those sub accounts?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I enabled Facebook button on Viewer Builder.

But the thumbnail image on Facebook wall is not what I want.

I set web url (itunes app url : http://itunes.apple.com/.....) on facebook developers,

but the thumbnail image on Facebook wall is one of the image of "custom also bought", not top-left big App Icon.

How to change the thumbnail image?

Do I use the app icon image of apple store for the thumbnail?

shimoawazu

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 27, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to shimoawazu

You can change the image that appears if you can edit the website, but if you're linking to the iTunes URL, you can't change the image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points