<XRefSrcText `Table: foo'>

<XRefSrcFile `'>

>

<XRefEnd>

<String `for details.'>

>

>

>

When I insert this into an existing document, there is a newline exactly where the reference should be. I could not manage to remove it. How can I get avoid of the ugly newline? Even after updating the references I get

Please see the

Function foo

for details.

instead of

Please see the Function foo for details.

Furthermore I defined the cross reference format as "<X-ref><$elemtext>" but the link does not work in Acrobat (although it is blue and underlined). What could be the problem?

And finally, when I use the MIF file as an inset, the XRefFormats do not update 😞 They seem once to be imported and never updated. This means when I change the format of the reference in the MIF file, the changes are not reflected in the document which includes the MIF file - not even after removing and re-inserting. The one thing that helps is to manually delete the format. Is there a way to avoid this?

Regards

Niki

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niki,

I've spent days and days trying to figure out the way FrameMaker handles cross-references. I am not surprised at all that you cannot simply edit the MIF file and make it work. Are there good reasons why you need to handle this in the MIF files instead of using ExtendScript to do it on the FM files from within FrameMaker ?

Jang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jang,

Check my FrameScript tutorial on cross-references at http://www.frameexpert.com/tutorials/cross-references.htm. The code is in FrameScript, but the concepts will be the same with ExtendScript. You can insert and manipulate cross-references directly with FrameScript or ExtendScript without having to use MIF snippets.

Rick Quatro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines