Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wrong Drive Letter After Using Restore Command PSE 9

Mar 21, 2012 10:43 AM

I know this is an old subject, but it has a twist that I can't relate to other posts. So I'm posting a the question again. I have a client who has all of her pictures stored on an external Drive J, lets say. She also has a full backup using the PSE 9 Backup command that she stored a a second external Drive H. Drive J failed. She bought a new external Drive is named N, lets say.

At this point she uses the PSE 9 Restore command, which runs without errors. The problem is that all of her 30,000 images are disconnected. The Organizer thinks they are still on Drive J (her broken drive). and not on Drive N, the new drive.

I have only communicated with her via email and have not seen what exactly she is seeing. However, from what I can tell, she has been using the PSE 9 Backup/Restore command correctly.

I even simulated her process on PSE 9 and it worked fine.

John R. Ellis has published a lot of hints etc regarding problems for PSE 8 and earlier, and they keep coming up as I search.

Does anyone here have any idea what went wrong and obviously more importantly, how to get the PSE Catalog working again?

TIA

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 21, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Don26812

You may need to let the software decide on the file structure.

File à Restore

Select Hard Drive/Other Volume and click the adjoining browse button

Navigate to the folder on your external hdd, select the back up (tly) file and click open.

Go to specify Destination <NONE> and click the adjoining browse button.

I recommend you navigate to Pictures or My Pictures

When you see the message “the restore was successful” you will probably see a flashing message (bottom left in Organizer) which says opening catalog.

You will also get a message: The catalog named ……….psa could not be found. Please open or create a different catalog - click OK.

In the catalog dialog click New

If you see a message saying you have chosen the original file structure and new folders may need to be created - click Yes.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 21, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Don26812

No I’m not suggesting everything gets put on the C drive. Things will work best with the catalog and program files on the C drive but the images will happily sit on an external hdd. It’s possible to set up a Pictures folder there and mark it as the watch folder.

I really think you perhaps need to find a way to rename the drive letter N as J and ensure the USB connection is attached to the same port as usual. Then, when doing the restore try selecting new location.

I know this has worked in the past; so good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Don26812

Reassigning the drive letter won't work, because PSE uses both the drive letter and the drive's ID number to keep track of the images.

You have two choices:

1. Use Organizer's Reconnect...All Missing Files, pause the reconnection and browse to your new N: drive to set it for the reconnection.  Let the reconnection run overnight, if necessary.
    2. If you know (or know someone who knows) how to run SQL queries against a database, see this discussion:
      http://forums.adobe.com/message/3650807#3650807

Choice #2 is very fast, but for advanced users only.  If you or any of your Impossible Mission data should become damaged, the Secretary will disavow any knowlege of your actions. Good luck, Don. 

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to Don26812

That's a good solution.  I'm sure she'll be OK when it finishes.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points