Skip navigation
drawretep
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player with Firefox and W-7 (64 bit)

Mar 21, 2012 3:44 PM

Tags: #failed #download #flash_player_11_

Hi. I have uninstalled all previous versions of Flash Player and completed the processes of download and install of version 11.1.102.63 to run with Firefox 10.0.2 operating under the 64bit version of Windows 7. Download and Install seem to run and terminate properly.

However, it simply doesn't work and Flash Player seems not to be detected in normal operations  (where web sites advise me to install the Flash Player plugin) or through the Flash Player HELP site (where I cannot see the movie and no error message is shown in the shaded field).

Control Panel shows me that Flash Player 11.1.102.63 is installed and the processes for uninstall seem to work normally.

I'd appreciate any advice or assistance available.

Message was edited by: drawretep

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to drawretep

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 22, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to drawretep

You should see your Flash player version and operating system if you go to this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html Is that what happens?

As regards the message that only one instance of the program can run, please right click a blank part of the Windows Taskbar and go to Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab and see if you can see the uninstaller running in there. If so, right click it and choose End Process to terminate it.

Incidentally, Firefox 11 has been released: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

EDIT: Please provide the link which tells you Flash needs to be installed.

Message was edited by: Xircal

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 22, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to drawretep

Geography shouldn't make any difference. I'm in the Netherlands  and I've just returned from vacation in Thailand and didn't experience any problems installing the current version of Flash in both countries in Firefox.

Can you right click a blank part of the Windows Taskbar, go to Task Manager and then click the Processes tab. Can you see "plugin_container.exe" running?

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 22, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to drawretep

drawretep wrote:

Hi.

No sign of Plugin Container.exe

Cheers

I think that's where the problem lies then. Plugin_container.exe functions like a sandbox to isolate plugins which might otherwise crash the browser. Flash won't work in Firefox without it. Here's some background info on the subject: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins

I'd suggest checking your firewall to see if it's blocking the process. That's the most likely culprit.

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 22, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to drawretep

drawretep wrote:

OK. Thanks.

I am running the full McAfee suite but received no warnings during the download of the installer. A module called Site Advisor assesses web sites before they are accessed: Adobe.com is already classified as minimal risk and I understood that this is why I was asked no questions .  . McAfee is comfortable with Adobe.

Do you suggest that I kill the firewall from the point of starting the initial download and again until Install is completed?

Task Manager shows “install_flashplayer11x64_mssa_aih_5.exe*32” is a running process: but it doesn’t seem to be doing very much . . .

Should I also kill that process and start again with the Firewall off?

Cheers

Kill the install_flash player process because it's a 64-bit version and Firefox isn't available yet in that flavour. You need to download the 32-bit version. Download that as a full version from here

Also download the Flash Player uninstaller and run that first (even if you think Flash isn't installed).

Which version of Site Advisor are you running? Versions prior to 3.4.1.195 are on Mozilla's Blocklist: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i72

If you're using the Windows Firewall, allow plugin_container.exe through it, otherwise add it to the firewall's network security policy.

The default installation path is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to drawretep

drawretep wrote:

Task Manager shows “install_flashplayer11x64_mssa_aih_5.exe*32” is a running process: but it doesn’t seem to be doing very much . . .

Have you successfully killed that process?  Or does it come back after you restart Windows?

This may be the problem.

When you did the clean install from my first response, your installers should be

• install_flash_player_ax_64bit.exe (for Internet Explorer)
    • install_flash_player_64bit.exe (for other browsers)

These two installers can now be downloaded from the links in http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-pla yer-windows.html#Install_in_a_firewall_proxy_server_environment

Please try the clean install again, with the (64-bit) uninstaller from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

One thing that can also prevent the successful installation of Flash Player is the presence of multiple old Java RTE versions; please check your installed programs that you only have the latest JRE, either version 6 update 31, or version 7 update 3.

P.S. one final remark: I use Waterfox 11.0 on my Windows 7 x64 system; Waterfox is the 64-bit version of Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to drawretep

Thank you for your reply; I can understand that you are tired from trying so many things.

I suggest that you relax for a few days, then try again with the uninstaller and installers from the links in my previous post.

If it still fails, can you post the contents of the FlashInstall.log files from both

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
    • C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\Macromed\Flash

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 23, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to drawretep

Hi Peter,

Before you disappear! If you have time, could you please go to this site: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Then scroll down to where it says "Find Flash Player version type and capabilities (Flash developers only)" which is near the foot of the page. You'll see "Your Flash Player version" and underneath it: "Debug player". What does it say for "Debug Player"?

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 23, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to drawretep

drawretep wrote:

Hi again.

Control Panel says that 11.1.102.63 is installed.

OK, then in the Flash CPL / Advanced tab, middle menu called "Updates", do you see both as shown in the screenshot, or only one? And which one?

flash_cpl.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 25, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to drawretep

OK, could you do the following please.

1. Restart Firefox in Safe Mode by clicking Help | Restart with Add-ons disabled (if you can't see the text links, hit the ALT key).
    2. In the next menu which appears, click "Continue in Safe Mode" without checkmarking any of the boxes.
    3. When Firefox restarts, all your add-ons will be disabled. Try and use Flash again. If it works, then it's one of your add-ons which is the culprit.

See this article for more info on Firefox Safe Mode

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points