Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to apply the variable width profile to strokes made with the blob brush?

Mar 22, 2012 9:18 PM

Tags: #profile #cs5 #brush #tool #variable #width #blob

Blob Brush is selected.
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.56.48 PM.png
After applying a stroke to the artboard - the stroke properties appear in the toolbar and are defaulting to "Uniform" for the Variable Width Profile setting.
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.57.24 PM.png
I select the second profile on the list.
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.57.39 PM.png
And draw another stroke.
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.57.56 PM.png
But, it remains the same Uniform stroke.
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.58.21 PM.png
I realize that the Blob Brush creates an outlined shape - but surely there is still a "path" that is used initially to record the stroke. Can't a Variable Width Profile be applied to a Blob Brush stroke?
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.58.38 PM.png
Why do I want this? I want to be able to sketch quickly, doing character design, and have a single shape to export into Flash as a head symbol, etc. I could use the Brush Tool and then Object>Path>Outline Stroke and then use the Pathfinder panel to Unite all the outlined strokes together into a Compound Shape... but, that's too disruptive to sketching...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 10:02 PM   in reply to bjgough

The blob brush isn't drawing a "stroke" so you can't apply the stroke profiles as you would a stroke from the pen tool or whatever.  What you end up with is a filled object with no stroke.

What might work for you would be to make a profile that's essentially there and back again twice - if you're looking to fatten the middle, make a stroke profile that goes from skinny to fat to skinny to fat to skinny...  Does that make sense?  Essentially, you'd be looking to go around the perimeter of the entire shape you've made with the blob brush.  (Oh, and you'll have to add a stroke to the shape that you made with the blob tool to apply it to...)  Shown here in grey on black to accent the change:

Screen shot 2012-03-22 at 10.00.24 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 12:15 AM   in reply to bjgough

As Jesse said, the blob brush draws fill areas, not strokes, so there's no way to assign width profiles.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to bjgough

Sounds to me like you need the DrawScribe plug-in, which includes a "Dynamic Sketch" tool that can create variable width strokes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to bjgough

If you want to create a blob brush object (with one draw) less boring then a fat less then straight line then, double click your blob brush tool icon and tweak the settings...

G

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to bjgough

with one swoop u can get something like this:

blob.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to bjgough

oh: or use the bloat tool ...

so many ways all depending on what you want... Im just not sure if you are using the right tool for the job in the first place tho.

G

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to bjgough

Yep, double-click the toolbar icon  -OR-  hit ENTER with tool already selected. And some tools queue up their properties dialogue if you simply click on the drawing board, like the Spiral Tool (which is nearly useless until you tweak it to your needs).

Aunt Illy is secretive, but she opens if your patient.

Yep.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points