Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

jpeg vs. pdf vs. png?

Mar 23, 2012 8:49 PM

Tags: #jpeg #pdf #cs5.5 #dps #png #ipad #indesign #import #folio #digital #indesign_cs5.5 #format #layout #interactive #magazine #article #digital_publishing_suite

what are the pro's and con's of the different formats?

would pdf's make for a smaller size download? do all support interactivity? video? audio? hyperlinks?

thanks for any help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to sttmsam

PDF is smaller and the text is sharper, even when zoomed in.

Files are smaller but there is no support for it on the desktop viewer nor on Android or Kindle Fire.

If you use that format on pages with interactivity, the interactive portions will still be rasterized.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 10:19 PM   in reply to sttmsam

You can mix and match articles with different image formats in a folio.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Mixing and matching formats seems impossible when your importing multiple articles to a folio. My average folio contains around 40 articles in both orientations. I generally add a batch to the folio using "import multiple articles", however you loose the option to assign formats, which I can understand but it seems impossible to change the format once imported in into the builder. Seems like the only way to mix and match is to import each orientation sepeartly and for me thats over 80 imports I'd have to do to take advantage of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

There should be option for format setting in sidecar. we are missing this too.

btw, what are real life cons for jpeg folio?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

And a tag  for setting "Protection" for the web viewer!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Mike Lipson

Oh yes, i need this too!

3. 10. 2012 v 19:54, Mike Lipson <forums@adobe.com>:

Re: jpeg vs. pdf vs. png?

created by Mike Lipson in Digital Publishing Suite - View the full discussion

And a tag  for setting "Protection" for the web viewer!

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4746683#4746683

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: jpeg vs. pdf vs. png?

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: jpeg vs. pdf vs. png?. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Digital Publishing Suite by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

JPEG folios will render much slower than any of the other options given how iOS decodes JPEG images. If you are targeting iPad, you should use PDF.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

And yes, there should be a setting for this in the sidecar.xml file

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Interesting, and i can't agree - PDF is according to our experience slower than JPG and we have issues with overlays.

Just tested it again just now and really would like to know more about this "much slower". Only issue which i can see is with long articles with smooth scrolling.

We tested JPEG because we are looking for best size/quality/performance. But seems that JPEG have no issues, it's fast (iPad 1) and small. Size simillar to PDF, cca 20 % smaller then PNG, and working MUCH better then PDF. PDF is nightmare (absenting support elsewhere then in iOS reader - desktop, Android, folio producer on web...).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to Martin Lér

What issues are you seeing with overlays in the PDF documents you created?

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points