Skip navigation
sf-ziggi2
Currently Being Moderated

Stops working when  "Starting up panels..."

Mar 24, 2012 1:14 PM

Tags: #error #indesign_cs5

Just bought Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Standard.  InDesign refuses to load.  I get the error message:

Adobe InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Illustrator and Photoshop load and seem to work okay.  (Did not go beyond loading program.)

I uninstalled and reinstalled the suite but still can only load Illustrator and Photoshop.

InDesign stops loading when it gets to "Starting up panels..."

I did change the resolution so my monitor displayed correctly.

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to sf-ziggi2

I found a couple of old threads about this problem. Try trashing your prefs first (see Replace Your Preferences). If that doesn't work, search for and delete all adobefnt*.lst files where * is a two-digit number.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 10:43 PM   in reply to sf-ziggi2

I'm having pretty much the same problem.  When I try to launch InDesign CS5.5 I receive the error message from Windows:  Adobe InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working.

I have the Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium Student and Teacher Edition, running on Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 64 bit

I have tried opening InDesign directly and get the error message, and I've tried opening from a document and get the same message.

Recently I had to move to a new computer, as my old hard-drive boot died on the old one, so I was not able to uninstall Creative Suite 5.5 from the old computer.  However, the rest of the Suite works fine, just not InDesign.

I have tried the fix as per Peter Spiers' post above; I renamed the InDesign SavedData file, but there was no InDesign Defaults file.  I searched for adobefnt*.lst files, but there were none.

I've not successfully used InDesign since loading it on this new computer, so perhaps this makes a difference?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 1, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to Westcoast Kim

Kim: Not being unable to uninstall from the old machine will only affect you if you try to install on a 3rd machine, at which point you get to call Adobe and tell them your hard drive died.

Uninstallation and reinstallation is something to try.

It sounds like you used the manual method of preference removal -- please try the automatic one: hold down Cmd-Alt-Shift while starting ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Thanks John - I tried the Cntrl/Alt/Shift thing but it did not respond at all and went directly to the error message.  So, I decided to see if I could save the InDesign Defaults file from my old hard-drive, since there hadn't been one in the new installation to rename.  It was recoverable from the old installation, so I put it into place where it should have been on the new computer, and voila, InDesign launched correctly.  I guess for some reason it hadn't installed with the program in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 1, 2012 9:20 PM   in reply to Westcoast Kim

Kim:

So, I decided to see if I could save the InDesign Defaults file from my old hard-drive, since there hadn't been one in the new installation to rename.  It was recoverable from the old installation, so I put it into place where it should have been on the new computer, and voila, InDesign launched correctly.

Oh my god.

That...should certainly not have been necessary.

It's definitely not the right solution, but I'm glad it worked for you!

It makes me wonder...did you install InDesign by copying over parts of your InDesign installation (or perhaps your Windows user Application Data or Roaming Data preference folders)?

Anyhow, I'm glad it worked for you, but wow!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:30 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

hi John - It just occured to me to give it a try, since the file hadn't been there to rename, I thought that might have been the problem.

No, I did not install InDesign by copying over any parts, it was a clean install from the CS5.5 Creative Suite Premium factory disk - so no idea why it didn't install properly!  Anyway, I'm just glad it works now. :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points