Skip navigation
FotoLinse
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 (64bit) crashes if started as "normal" User (Windows 7 SP1 64bit)

Mar 24, 2012 11:39 PM

Tags: #bridge #crash #bridge_cs6

When starting Bridge CS6 (64bit) from the start menu or the Mini Bridge panel in Photoshop CS6 the application crashes.

If Bridge CS6 is started as "Administrator" it works as it should

The 32bit is not tested as it is not installed.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 12:49 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

When it crashed, did you copy the crash report to your clipboard? If so, can you post it here?

Just curious, what video card you are using and if you checked to see if it is supported or that the driver is up to date.

I'll also forward this on to the Bridge folks to look at.

Thanks,

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

This happens to me also. It appears to be a bug in Bridge with a stray temp file created in the root folder of the system drive. If that folder is protected, Bridge must be run as administrator. Here is the thread I created on this topic.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4303312#4303312

-Norman

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

Could you please send a crash dump to me(alonao@adobe.com)? Below is the instruction about how to enable crash dump on Win7.

1.Copy text below (Marked as blue color) to a text editor and save as a file with .reg extension.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):25,00,4c,00,4f,00,43,00,41,00,4c,00,41,00,50,00,50 ,00,44,\

00,41,00,54,00,41,00,25,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00, 75,00,\

6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

"DumpCount"=dword:00000010

"DumpType"=dword:00000001

"CustomDumpFlags"=dword:00000000

2.And then import the .reg file to the Win7 Registry by double clicking it.

3.Attempt to launch Bridge. Once Bridge crash find the dump file from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps folder.

Any problem please let me know.

Thanks

Adobe Bridge QE

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

I received your crash dump file and investigated it. It looks like same issue as Norman's. Could you please provide following information?

-Did you never launch Bridge?

-Did you change some settings like Norman’s description (Please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4303312#4303312)?

-Did you install Bridge by administer or not?

-Did you try reinstalling PS to fix this?

-If disable the MMXCore plug-in by removing MMXCore.8BX file from location below, does this still happen?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-Ins\

-Can you paste your System Info here by going to Photoshop Help > System Info menu?

Thanks in advance.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:29 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

Can you let me know how did you apply a NTFS-Junction? like what cmd did you use? which folders did you link to other drives?

And have you tried resetting Bridge prefrences (Press ctrl key on launch)?

Thanks

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

I think you mean command "mklink /J C:\Users E:\Users", because C:\Users is the souce but not the target. When I ran the command, it failed with an error "Cannot create a file when that file already existes". How did you do that?

Anyway, can you try removing the junction and see whether the issue is fixed? And can you set the Camera RAW cache location to default and see what happens?

I still can't reproduce the issue on my side. Do you mind if we do a connect session through www.adobeconnect.com to investigate the issue on your machine?

Thanks

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

I'm not being critical of your methods or choices, FotoLinse, but these kind of workaround problems are why I'm presently putting together a 2 TB RAID array of SSDs for drive C:. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

What are your permissions on the junction itself?

Does your USER NAME have Full Control permissions?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

Admittedly, I was thinking more about the workaround where one changes the locations known to Windows in the registry so that it actually says E:\Users instead of C:\Users (for example) when I made that statement.  But having to put files that want to be on C: elsewhere to keep from overflowing a too-small SSD is most definitely a workaround.

I think you kind of answered your own question with this issue with Bridge.  While it's a perfectly great idea, that really should work, it never *quite* works the same as if it was a real directory on a drive C:.  Too many software developers take shortcuts or find system calls/algorithms that don't quite parse things out properly.  You can imagine it's not nearly as well tested as the mainstream.

Windows is full of things that *almost* work properly, and "going with the flow" (e.g., having everything on C:) is more likely to work than any other means.  Probably this throws back to the software's distant origins.  All I know is that most everything works better if you allow it to go where it really wants to go, and that I hear from time to time about people with SSDs having unexpected issues.

I'm a career software engineer and Windows expert, by the way.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

I never used Junctions and I have the same symptoms as others. I do have an SSD + HD setup.

I moved the documents, pictures, videos, downloads folders via the standard Windows 7 UI mechanism. All other account stuf is still in the default location.

I opened the account view/folder and right click for properties on each of the specificed library folder(s) and change the location via the location tab in the dialog.

-Norman

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:40 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

After reading your new post, some questions come to my mind.

-Did you also run Bridge in a non-admin account on your Laptop computer? You said this worked fine.

-If you create a new “normal” user account on the machine that has the problem, can Bridge launch?

-Do you have any anti-virus software installed? If yes, can you try disabling it and see if this is fixed?

I’m in Beijing (UTC + 8), Your 14:30 is my 8:30am. It’s OK for me. How about tomorrow morning my time (April 17)?

Thanks

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:27 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

I reproduced this issue by a trick on my machine. I made the temp folder(C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp) write-protected for current user, then Bridge crashed after launching for a while. The crash dump is similar to yours.

Can you run command "set temp" in the Command Line window to see what it outputs? And make sure current user has write pemission for that folder, then see if the issue is fixed.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

FotoLinse wrote:

Administrative rights are available if required, but not all the time.

I think what Chenglong may be asking, though, is whether your username specifically has Full Control access to your TEMP folder.  You almost sort of said that, but a difference in specifics could be important.

If it works when run As Administrator there's a pretty good chance there's a permissions problem somewhere.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

Is there a reason you're unwilling to disable UAC?  Just curious.  You sound like you know what you're doing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:44 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

To test whether the user account really has full access to the temp folder, there is an easy way. You can try manually creating a file or folder under the temp folder and see whether you can do it without any authorization.

Since I reproduced the same crash we can postpone the connect session.

In addition, you might need to check the "tmp" variable by running command "set tmp" .

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

It seems we really need a connect session. How about tomorrow evening 9pm my time? It should be your 3pm, right?

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:34 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi FotoLinse,

Yes, I'll send you detail by email later.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

Hi Fotolinse,

Sorry, I will be unable to come to office tomorrow. Can we move the meeting to Thursday my 9pm, your 3pm? Any concern please let me know or email me.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

After more investigation, I think I reproduced the issue.  Here is my steps to reproduce the bug.

0) Turn on UAC of Windows.

1) Chang the user temp folder to a new location(Make sure the new temp folder location doesn’t  exist), say D:\Temp.

3) Launch Bridge 64-bit/32-bit and browse some images. Bridge will crash.

4) Then I manually create the folder D:\Temp, but Bridge still crashes.

5) If I run Bridge as administrator, it always generates a temp file “Photoshop Tempxxxxxx” under the root of C drive. The phenomena is matching yours. But, by default, a user has no write permission for the root of C drive if UAC is on. So this might be the root cause.

Photoshop also has same issue, but it will pop up an error on launch, not crash.

Did you do similar thing as mine?

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to FotoLinse

As far as I know, there are following workarounds:

-Run Bridge as administrator.

-Trun off UAC.

-Reset user temp folder to default location or create a new user account.

We'll consider fixing this in dot release.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

FotoLinse, as of yesterday I have gotten my SSD RAID0 system completely set up.  OS, apps, and data all at SSD speed and I still have 1.2 TB free on drive C:.  No reason to relocate anything.  In fact, the ability to open temporary files on the zero-latency SSD array (and use it for scratch, swap space, etc.) speeds everything up markedly.  No worry that workarounds to keep the usage of C: small by moving things elsewhere are going to cause problems. 

Another option for you might be a hybrid drive.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to aochenglong

Amazing all these "workarounds" except for Adobe FYS (fix your stuff).

Tip for the Adobe developers. Check out the GetTempPath API. 100% you will never have the problems you are having if you simply use the value returned by this API. I bet they are using this API, but then making a simple operation complicated with who knows what logic, modifying the path, after fetching the temp files directory from the system. No way this API ever returns C:\.

By default on Windows 7, TEMP is set to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp". I have mine set to "D:\TEMP". How on earth could Adobe, or any software, care what the directory path is. It is really none of the applications business.

JUST USE IT.

DON'T F WITH IT.

Symbolic links (junctions) are a normal part of the system and are transparent. If an app does not work with them, IT IS BROKEN. FYS.

I have not used symbols links, and Bridge is just as broken, so this seems not to be the problem with Bridge.

Hey Adobe, join the rest of the world, and create your temp files where GetTempPath tells you to.

My two cents.

-Norman

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

FotoLinse wrote:

Noel,

That is no help for me or Adobe to solve the drive C: issue you also encountered.

Remind me again, what drive C: issue did I also encounter?  Literally, I don't have the problems you're describing as I have been using a 2 TB C: drive for a long while.  I've just upgraded to faster storage lately.

I'm not trying to heckle, really, just facing the reality that applications don't deal with data relocation workarounds very well.  Adobe's application may be less integrated with Windows than most because they also have to support running on Macintosh systems.

And NOTHING deals with UAC very well.  It's the stupidest, most hacked-in bit of software work Microsoft has ever done, and using it invites more problems than it avoids.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to FotoLinse

FotoLinse wrote:

write Temp data at a location where it is not supposed to do

Impossible to define.  "Supposed to" could have many meanings...  What Microsoft thinks isn't necessarily gospel, especially if you want things to just work.

That said, though it's pretty clear where Windows wants applications to write temporary files, is it even certain yet that this is a temporary file location issue?  It doesn't seem cut and dried.

But I certainly don't want to argue or dilute the point that the software's not working for you.  It really should be!

If / when Adobe fails to fix it, then we can talk about how to best work around the application shortcomings.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Easy to define, and in actual fact is defined since a system API exists. "Supposed to" is the convention of the system in question. In Windows, the API is just using previous defacto conventions for temp files. AKA The TEMP environment variable. This was a defacto standard in the DOS world and Windows dates back to that era. For example, Single Unix has a defacto of TMPDIR.

There is one GOD for a system, and that is the user. The user defines where their files go. It is their HD and their organization. Temp files are not actual user named files, but they are created on the users behalf while working on their actual files. The application has control of how it organizes its files in its app folder, but the usere control where that app folder goes. In other words, I am not saying the user has total control of every file location in the OS and APPs.

Windows does choose a default location of special folders, if the user decides to not make a choice, and this default has changed from version to version. Windows allows and respects users abilities to change location(s) of "special folders" through the GUI, for the most part.

What exactly is causing Bridge to crash only Adobe knows. What is clear is that Bridge is creating temp file(s) in the root directory of the system drive, AKA C:\. Just exactly where they got that garbage only they know. It is not the system temp convention and Bridge has no application preferences convention for temp files.

Adobe grew up on not protected file systems like Windows and the Mac, where create a file where the hell you want will work. If they grew up in the Unix world stuff like this would fail as Unix has always been much like UAC protections. Just try to create a file in the root folder on a Unix system. It will fail since only "root" has access to that, much like authenticated users only have access to the root folder of the system drive, C:.

Just look at Photoshop's scratch disk options on Windows. They default to creating scratch in the root of the C: drive. In past eras, not a problem. In the UAC era, it is a problem. Photoshop just plain crashes with no message. The average Joe is screwed. How are they to know to run PS as admin and change the preferences for scratch so PS can run as a normal user. If Adobe were smart, they would notice a access violation trying to create a critical and necessary temp file, scratch, and pop up a dialog stating as such and give the user the option to change the scratch location. The real point is why do they default scratch to the root folders? and why do they default to something other than the TEMP folder of the system which will be writable. Something you cannot say for root folders of drives. Windows defaults to protecting C:, but for exsample, I, as God of my machine, have the right to make D:\ restricted to whom ever I choose. The point being here, that PS should have me specify a file specification/folder and not just a drive for scratch. Basically it should be treated like a magic cookie. At that level, if it does not work, then it is the users fault.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points