Skip navigation
Markus.Palsson.123
Currently Being Moderated

Changing screen appearance of image without affecting resolution

Mar 25, 2012 3:18 PM

Tags: #resolution #fireworks #pixel #scale

Hi,

I've worked with Fireworks for some time now, but recently I faced a new challange I don't quite know how to tackle. My girlfriend owns a petshop and she wants to have a facade plate, 1.5m x 1.5m so it is quite big, with pictures of our pets at the bottom and manufacturer logtypes in the middle. Since this is to be printed, which is new to me because I've mostly done web graphics before, and at a big size at that, it is important that the individual pictures of our pets have really good pixel resolution. I already have a bunch of images I think I can use, but they are of very different quality (in terms of resolution). My line of thought is to start with the picture with the worst resolution, which is a cat approximately 1500 pixels wide, and then shrink all the other pictures to match the size of the cat. But my question is this. Just because the cat is of quite bad resolution, must I really decrease the resolution of all the other pictures since I need to down-scale them? Isn't there a way to scale the images screen appearance, while still keeping the pixel resolution, just to increase the print resolution? Kind of like when importing a picture in Microsoft Word, there you can increase/decrease the size of the picture without making any changes to the pixel resolution. I.e. if you shrink it you will get a better resolution when you print it because the dpi in the printer increases.

To be more detailed, the cat is going to be printed at approximately 40cm, lying in the bottom of the plate. I have another picture of a cat which will be sitting in the corner and it will be printed at approximately 30 cm, but the resolution is 4500 pixels wide. This means that it will be way bigger on the screen than the cat with bad resolution, so I have to somehow down-scale it. This means that the printed resolution of this cat will be as bad as the other cat, and this is what I want to avoid. Is it somehow possible?

Best Regards,

Markus

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to Markus.Palsson.123

Good news: You can use Fireworks to determine the print resolutions of your images!

Open each image in Fireworks and choose Modify > Canvas > Image Size... to open the Image Size dialog. Now, be sure that Resample Image is unchecked. Under Print Size, choose centimeters as units, and then enter one or both dimensions of your intended print output size. The Resolution will update according to the print size that you specify.

Image Size no2.png

Recommended print resolutions might typically range from 180 to 300ppi. However, the larger the print, the lower the resolution needed, as a larger print invites a greater viewing distance. (One source that I have lists 300ppi as 'extra sharp', 200ppi as 'sharp', 150ppi as 'moderate', and 110ppi as 'soft'.) The best thing to do is to run some test prints yourself, or have a talk with your printer for recommendations. You can increase the pixel resolution of your images, but it won't increase the resolution of the image subject (e.g, the cat)—that said, when enlarging/resampling images, Bicubic Smoother is typically recommended; when reducing images, try Bicubic Sharper. You could also apply Sharpening to try to increase the apparent sharpness of a soft image, which may or may not be helpful.

For a print project, I'd recommend Illustrator; otherwise, Photoshop. Both applications are set up for print and will allow you to save a file that includes vector logos or text, for a sharper-looking output than Fireworks.

Finally, if worse comes to worst, you may want to substitute stock photography for one or more of your personal pet photos. (Or you could try taking some new photos.) Or here's an idea: Hook up with a local pet photographer to take some custom, high-end images—perhaps in exchange for in-store promotion, etc.

FOLLOW-UP: After re-reading your question, I wanted to add one thing: If you're resizing an image in the context of a layout in Photoshop or Fireworks, you're best off defining the image as a Smart Object (in Photoshop) or a Symbol (in Fireworks) before resizing it. This will preserve the image's native resolution, allowing you to scale it up or down in size, without any loss of image quality. If using Illustrator, the image file will be linked or embedded, and its native resolution will be preserved by default.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Markus.Palsson.123

I think you need to try printing the images that you're concerned about, and see for yourself if you like the results. (I'd just try printing using an inexpensive printing source—a desktop printer, a local copy shop, the library, etc.)

You can enlarge and resample the image (e.g. using Bicubic Smoother), but this often just adds pixels without improving image quality. In my own experiments, it hasn't been needed. However, if the image looks pixelated or aliased when printed, then you'd definitely want to do this. Either way, it doesn't hurt to see for yourself.

Previously, I'd suggested that you could try Sharpening a soft-looking image. If it were stylistically appropriate, you could also go the other direction and try adding a soft-focus or contrast-glow effect. In fact, a dramatic processing effect of any kind might help to mask the lack of image quality in a single photo, or help to unify photos of differing resolutions. It's up to you whether it'd be the right choice for the project, though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points