Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

always asked to select country on startup

Mar 26, 2012 12:35 AM

When I start Photoshop Elements 10, it always asks me to select the country/region.

I select Australia, and it defaults to Afghanistan.  I have to select Australia a second time, every time.

PC is running Windows XP SP3.

On some occasions I get a message that I have to reinstall Adobe Application manager, and I do so, but the symptom of having to select the country on startup is not resolved.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 1:08 AM   in reply to Doigy

Hi Doigy,

Can you try the solutions mentioned on this forum thread and let us know if it helped you?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/country_selectio n_screen_showing_up_on_every_startup

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to Doigy

Hi Doigy,

I am sorry to hear that the solutions did not help you. I will check with customer support to see if they can answer your query.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Doigy

The country should be saved in the Registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0

The KEY will be a String called "Country" and have a number value, each number standing for a different country.

Do you have this key? If so, what number does it have? If not, what happens if you create it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to Doigy

I'm not sure what 1 would be, perhaps it's just the first country on the list. All I can say for sure is that US is 244. For most functions, PSE is just looking for whether you are outside the US. If you are, there are different services available, but most of the rest of the world outside the US uses the same stuff. So having 1 probably isn't going to have any effect on your ability to use the application.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Doigy

Doigy are you regularly using some type of registry cleaner or any other system maintenance utilities?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Doigy

Ok I would be curious to see if it is the root cause of your difficulties.  Looking at their product page http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner it looks as if does have a registery cleaning function.  Perhaps it is identifying this entry incorrectly as not being used.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

CCleaner is a Registry cleaner, I can almost guarantee this is the source of the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Doigy

Yea it is difficult to say if it is the cause or not.  From the product description it does appear it decides on what should be in the registry and what shouldn't.  I would still advise using Regedit to do a backup of your registry before hand.  Only takes a moment and can prevent many issues.

Beyond that perhaps just try to run Photoshop Elements regularly and keep an eye out for what was done previously on your system prior to the issue reoccuring.  Btw you can also use Regedit to export the modified registry key to make it easier when you do have to put the registry setting back.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points