• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

always asked to select country on startup

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start Photoshop Elements 10, it always asks me to select the country/region.

I select Australia, and it defaults to Afghanistan.  I have to select Australia a second time, every time.

PC is running Windows XP SP3.

On some occasions I get a message that I have to reinstall Adobe Application manager, and I do so, but the symptom of having to select the country on startup is not resolved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doigy,

Can you try the solutions mentioned on this forum thread and let us know if it helped you?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/country_selection_screen_showing_up_on_every_s...

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran

The user account I run the computer as is already an administrator account, but if I run photoshopelementseditor.exe as the default administrator account, select the country, Photoshop Elements will open.  If I close it and restart it I have to select the country again.

So the registry value is not being written.

This is the only application on my computer where a setting does not save.

I have Zone Alarm only running on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doigy,

I am sorry to hear that the solutions did not help you. I will check with customer support to see if they can answer your query.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The country should be saved in the Registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0

The KEY will be a String called "Country" and have a number value, each number standing for a different country.

Do you have this key? If so, what number does it have? If not, what happens if you create it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have this key.  If I create the string with value 1 I am not prompted to select the country on startup.

What number is Australia?  I chose number 1. 

Thanks Brett.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what 1 would be, perhaps it's just the first country on the list. All I can say for sure is that US is 244. For most functions, PSE is just looking for whether you are outside the US. If you are, there are different services available, but most of the rest of the world outside the US uses the same stuff. So having 1 probably isn't going to have any effect on your ability to use the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The registry entry looks to have disappeared as I have since been prompted to choose a country again after about a week of okay-ness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doigy are you regularly using some type of registry cleaner or any other system maintenance utilities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use any system maintenance utilities at all, except CCleaner.  I can test to see if this is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I would be curious to see if it is the root cause of your difficulties.  Looking at their product page http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner it looks as if does have a registery cleaning function.  Perhaps it is identifying this entry incorrectly as not being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CCleaner is a Registry cleaner, I can almost guarantee this is the source of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run CCleaner with more cleanup options than I usually do and PSE has not asked for the country on the next startup.  I don't regularly run CCleaner, only rarely, so it is not the cause of this problem, which occurs far more frequently than me using CCleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea it is difficult to say if it is the cause or not.  From the product description it does appear it decides on what should be in the registry and what shouldn't.  I would still advise using Regedit to do a backup of your registry before hand.  Only takes a moment and can prevent many issues.

Beyond that perhaps just try to run Photoshop Elements regularly and keep an eye out for what was done previously on your system prior to the issue reoccuring.  Btw you can also use Regedit to export the modified registry key to make it easier when you do have to put the registry setting back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, thanks Jeff.  I'll export the key and save it to desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines