Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

50% of photoshop features have no effect

Mar 26, 2012 6:53 PM

Tags: #cs4 #problem #bug #broken #major

Why doesn't transform selection, tools, open (on random documents, more likely to work if I drag and drop than double click a file or use file->open), save, or "save as" work most times my computer is running? These actions have no effect. Restarting my computer doesn't always fix it. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with Photoshop CS4 64-bit. Switching to Photoshop 32-bit fixes nothing. I have the patch installed.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to rocifier

Are you images 8 bit RGB or some other mode?  Not all tools work with 16 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to rocifier

Did it work before?  If so did you reset your preferences?

Reinstalling would not affect this file.

Start PS and immediately hold down the Ctrl + alt + shift keys.  Little tricky so keep trying until you get a reset window.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to rocifier

Hi rocifier, my first post here.

I've got the same problems with my cs4 photoshop (64bit), my machine is win 7 proffesional 64bit, tried everything but stlill got the same symptoms as yours.My suspitions are that problem may be gfx related. When this "bug" is activating itself, zooming start to behave choppy, brush tool go crazy - strokes just dessapear. Strange... so far no solution.

My graphic card is nv 9800gtx+ with 512MB memory onboard.

Sorry for my english

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to rocifier

Welcome, today part II,

esterday I Iinstalled beta of photoshop cs6 to see if this version is free from our bug. But just  a moment ago it replicated the same crazyness as cs4 version... Now I'm more stupid then yesterday.

It looks like this issue is not strictly about photoshop itself but rather some files, libraries etc. used by both versions. Think it's better to report this issue to Adobe support, Rocifier have you found any similar topic at nvidia forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to Gerciowski

It could be a "classic case" of a bad, outdated or corrupted video driver, or the driver's lack of OpenGL support.

First step, that I would perform, would be to go to the nVidia Web site, and then download and install the latest driver for the card, and the OS. Are you both using nVidia cards?

Then, if that does not clear up the problems, I would turn OpenGL OFF, and test again.

Later versions of Photoshop need to interface more closely with the video driver, than older versions. As some video cards and drivers can be weak with the OpenGL implementation, turning it OFF, will often get one by, though with reduction in some performance, and the loss of some features. There, the "fix" is either a new/better driver, or a new/better card.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill tanks for advise,

hovever it looks like problem is not driver related - my gfx drivers are always up to date,

next thing, i tested opengl both on and off - the same results.

One important note, issues descibed above are not permament, they occur randomly - sometimes once per few days, sometomes a few times a day. I cant find any pattern. Also i'm using whole cs4 master collection, after effect is utilizing gfx card quite heavily - no issues on my rig.

My evga 9800gtx+ exceeds minimal requirements for photoshop cs4, this applies even more to rocifier's GTX 560

( just for the rercord - rest of my system is 3Ghz quadcore phenom, 8GB of RAM, 4 HD drives)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to rocifier

rocifier wrote:

I've also tried just about everything else I can think of, for example enable/disable opengl,

Just to be SURE, did you close and restart Photoshop after changing the OpenGL Drawing setting?  That's necessary or you won't be testing the change.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to rocifier

rocifier, what are your system swap page settings?

I've changed it from default, which for my system was equal to RAM size, now it'set to 2 x RAM size. It's third day with this settings and so far photoshop behaves good, no issues. It's all bit strange, my ps projects are no huge, 10-200MB.

For info, my current PS performane settings: memory allocation:60%, opengl enabled (with all options on).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points