Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone else have these 'niggles'?

Mar 27, 2012 3:32 PM

Tags: #cs5 #user #cs5.5 #indesign #using #bugs #problems #frustration #pain

aka pain in the (insert frustrations here).

I'm trying to work out if it's just this mac I'm working on, or actual bugs/annoyances of InDesign CS5 (version I'm using is 5.5)..

1) InDesign has issues of not getting the attention - I click off to the desktop/another app and ID just pops back to the forefront - several times in quick succession. It's like a kid with ADD! Seriously annoying. Even using Safari to type this, it's come to the front 7 times now. GO AWAY!!!!

2) Dragging images from the finder to ID, then having to select the finder again, then to select ID again to activate ID so I can keep working and place the image

3) ID doesn't quit when I tell it to (but it loves to 'unexpectedly quit' which I'm guessing is this mac more than ID)

4) Shortcut keys randomly stop working - it's fav being cmd-~ to flick between windows

5) Selecting more than one item - sometimes it'll start deselecting other items as you go around the page picking things up. Why?! And to select one thing on top of another.. why can't I do that any more like in previous versions?

I think there's a couple more, but these are the repeat offenders. If it's this mac, then my fist is about to go thru it. If it's ID and others are having these issues too, then how the heck is it still industry standard?? What happened to the good ol' days when ID was seriously awesome?

I'm guessing a few of these topics may have been posted before, but I don't have the time at the moment to search, and I wondered if this combo was just the whole app in general.. Please Adobe, you used to be awesome! Stop overreaching and go back to what it was good at doing - DTP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to Kit Greer

Do you by any chance have auto font activation running? It can cause some very wonky behavior, especially if it's trying to activate a font it doesn't have access to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Kit Greer

I have the #2 problem a lot - dragging images to a document and needing to toggle to Finder/ID a few times.

For #5, that's been changed. You CAN select things underneath, you have to use command key.

Maybe you have a bad keyboard or command key problem also?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2012 11:26 PM   in reply to Kit Greer

I'm trying to work out if it's just this mac I'm working on, or actual bugs/annoyances of InDesign CS5 (version I'm using is 5.5)..

What version of OS X?

WHat exact vesion of InDesign? Hold down Cmd and select About InDesign. Is it 7.5.2.318 or something else?

3) ID doesn't quit when I tell it to (but it loves to 'unexpectedly quit' which I'm guessing is this mac more than ID)

No, this is InDesign's fault. Post a crash report to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here and we'll tell you why it happens.

Most of your items sound like some third party software interfering with InDesign. They don't sound like normal problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to Kit Greer

Kit Greer wrote:

The mac is running Extensis Suitcase 3, but auto font activation is off..

Have you got the latest patch? There are tons of incompaibility problems with Suitcase.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Kit Greer

Kit Greer wrote:

you've been able to multi-select for a long time, that's fine. But previously, if there's 2 or more objects on top of each other, you can cmd-sft-click (I think, i do it without thinking normally!) and select the next object below, then holding shift to select the object above (as you could before), it deselects what you've just selected, or even clicking anywhere near it deselects it! Or selecting things all over the place, it starts unselecting random objects that I've selected and still holding shift down to collect more. I end up going round in circles!

To cycle through the stack hold Cmd, without the Shift. Behavior of selected hidden objects changed in CS5 so that they stay selected for easier moving without having to find the center spot. If you are hold ing Shift while clicking though, you are adding to your selection -- that's waht that key has always done.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to Kit Greer

I'm having the same issue with the Shift + Selecting multiple items, where it seems like Indesign is deselecting everything, or randomnly deselecting individual items. Very annoying.

..Any solution yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

Yeah, I'm having the selection furstration too in CS6, just upgraded from CS3 earlier this year, but I've really had enough of this selection hassle today so popped on to see if anyone else has been sharing my woes.

It really is most annoying when you've got things under things and you want them all selected together.

No answer then, that's annoying.

I can't find anything in the preferences.

Has everyone just 'adapted' their way of working??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to simonray51

This thread is 7 months old. What EXACTLY is the problem you're having?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

The reason why InDesign will randomnly DESELECT items you don't intend on deselecting is because it is lying over a guide.

Guides somehow take priority and will get selected first when you're doing complex selections with the SHIFT key in an atempt to select multiple items randomnly.

Basically while I'm performing complex selections over areas where a guide lies, I'll LOCK THE GUIDES [CMD + Option + :] first before making  additional selections with the SHIFT key.

Try it yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

Screen shot 2012-11-30 at 16.53.57.png

I don't have any trouble with guides.

Here's where my trouble is:

If I have 3 elements that overlap or are on top of each other [see example above]. I'll click the type then using command click through to the blue circle then click with command again to select the yellow circle. So with yellow circle selected, if I now try and add to my selection the type, by clicking with holding shift, it  doesn't pick up the type but deselects the yellow.

grr.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to simonray51

I'm not saying this is the answer or will work in all cases, nor that you don't have a valid complaint, but sometimes it's easier to select more than you need and subtract from the selection than it is to try to add. In the case of your illustration, for example, I would drag a marquee through all three frames to select them all, then hold the shift key and deselct the blue circle by clicking in an area not covered by the text frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 3:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yeah, sometimes if there's loads in the background it's a case of locking layers etc though.

It would work in CS3 – that's what I don't get. That's what's taking the getting used to for me and my team as we upgraded from CS3 to CS6 in May.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to simonray51

The tradeoff here is that in CS3 selction of an object behind another was transient. If you want to move it hyou had to grab the center spot. Now your object remains selected even if you can only see its edge.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)