Skip navigation
Melissa Retter
Currently Being Moderated

Mix Pasting - Different in CS5?

Mar 27, 2012 6:54 PM

Tags: #mix_paste #replace_audio

Hi again,

Still getting the hang of the new program, and I notice that the mix pasting function has a very different dialog box when I perform the action in the new CS5.5 than Au 3.  Though I'm hoping the function still works just as well as it did in Au 3 and I simply don't know how to make it work yet.  Can I still replace audio (say, a low frequency block selected with the marquee tool) instead of only overlap it using mix paste, or does a different function do that now instead of mix paste?  I don't even see an option to choose between "replace", "overlap", or "insert" in Au CS5.5's mix paste options.  Thanks so much for the help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 2:43 AM   in reply to Melissa Retter

The new Mix Paste options allow you more control over  how the Mix part of the paste is done. To replicate the old Replace function you just set the mix level of Existing to 0 and leave the Copied audio at 100. For Overlap you can now adjust the relative levels of the Copied and Existing audio using the sliders. For Inserting audio use the simple Paste option (Ctrl=V) in the Edit menu.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Melissa Retter

That's probably because you have got Existing Audio set to 0. Leave it at 100 and your Copied audio should be added to the original. If you want it to replace just the low frequency part I suspect that you will have to delete the existing low frequency portion first.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 31, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Melissa Retter

Melissa Retter wrote:

Ah that does indeed work, thanks!  Though, it was so handy in Au3 when you could tell the program to replace any patch of audio anywhere without having to delete set portions for replacing first....   I don't know why they would have gotten rid of such a useful feature...

I'm afraid that the answer to this is gloriously simple - it's a bug. It should work just the way it does in the previous version.

The other really frustrating thing (for you) is that I'm not yet at liberty to tell you whether or not it's been fixed in the new version being released soon...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 1, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to Melissa Retter

Melissa Retter wrote:

Is there a set (or general) date for its release?  Will it be available as a downloadable update or some such? 

Adobe hasn't said exactly what the release date is, but since they've published a sneak preview video of it (see appropriate thread started recently by Durin), you can bet that it's not far off.

I have no idea what the distribution arrangements will be, but I'm pretty sure that it will follow the pattern of previous releases. In other words, it's a new version, this time with one heck of a lot of changes - what you see on the sneak preview really isn't very much. And as such, there will be an upgrade pricing structure... which I can't comment on, except to say that if it doesn't include the version before last as qualifying, at the very least, Adobe will have some sort of mutiny on their hands.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points