Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving WampServer from C to D drive?

Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping to find someone in the DW forum who understands how to move a wamp test server to a different drive.  So far, haven't gotten much traction at the WAMP forum.

I'm assuming just moving the files/folder won't work.

Is it a matter of doing a wamp install on the "D" and finding a way to move the data which, after the install, I assume will just be windows file/folder moves.

And then I assume the method used in DW is to update the test server path on the sites that use the local server.

Is this close?

Thanks

Tom

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved Xampp once to another drive.   The process should be identical.   Here is what I did:

1. I backed up the htdocs folder where all my sites were.  READ: put a copy of this folder in a safe place.

2. I uninstalled Xampp completely.

3. I reinstalled it to the drive I wanted it installed on.

4. I copied the contents from my htdocs folder to the new one.

5. In DW, I updated the path for the websites as you mention above.

It worked and there weren't any issues.  Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking to move the www or the server?  If you want to move the server on Windows, just re-install like Drymetal says.  If you want to move the www folder open up httpd.conf and change the DocumentRoot to the new path and move the testing server files over there and tell DW the new path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both.  I love the Adobe forums.  Always learn and the feedback makes me get clearer on what I need.

I could use a little help understanding the difference between the server or the www.  Am I correct in understanding the server is the application system and www is where the web sites are stored?  Am I also correct in understanding they don't have to be on the same drive?

If correct, I think its the www I want to move.  The problem I want to avoid is disk space on my C-drive.  I have at least one site that has lots of large files (jpegs and pdfs).  It's that site (content) I want to move to another partition on my HD.  (FYI, wamp is 8Gb and the www folder is almost 7Gb).

Are there reasons one way or the other to guide when to keep the server and the www on the same drive?

Assuming now that it's the www I want to move, I need more detail on the process to www.  I didn't find a file named httpd.conf.  Is it not a file?  EDIT: Found it in Apache.  Will post again if I have further questions.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct in understanding the server is the application system and www is where the web sites are stored?  Am I also correct in understanding they don't have to be on the same drive?

Yes that is what I was referring to.  You can move the actual sites anywhere you want on your computer without having to move the program files themselves off of the C drive.

Are there reasons one way or the other to guide when to keep the server and the www on the same drive?

For testing servers it really doesn't make a difference there is virtually no traffic and only limited resources being used.  When you start talking larger and more advanced servers, companies will typically put the SQL server on its own to improve performance and leave Apache and PHP on each server.  The drive really doesn't make a difference.  Typically it's on the C drive or dispersed across a RAID configuration, but there is no reason you cannot serve documents from a different drive on your personal testing server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I'll give it a try and post back if there are any issues.

Very much appreciate getting a better understanding of the relationship between the server and the sites.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully folks are still subscribed.  Three months ago you gave advice on how to move the sites from my C to D drive without moving the WAMP app.  Today I started getting permission errors ("you don't have permission....").

The web provided advice to look at the config file and update the Allow to Allow All which I did.  Unfortunately, even after a reboot and wamp restart I'm still getting the same message.

Note that the move of the sites and the permission error may not be related.  I thought I did a simple test after the C to D drive move, but it's been long enough that I may not be remembering accurately.

Before I go look for other possible causes, is there any reason why the move of the sites from the C to the D would have created an access permission issue?  I'm pretty confident I followed the move instructions accurately.

Thanks

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done some further testing on the permission problem.  Ended up moving the wamp www folder back to the C drive, updated the httpd.conf file and changed the test server in DW.  Everything works fine.

To go back over what I did originally:

1) Changed the Apache httpd.conf document root to D:/wamp/www/

2) Changed the local site folder and test folder in DW to D:/wamp/www/mywebfolder

3) Moved the www folder from C:/wamp/www to D:/wamp/www

I did change the wamp/alias/phpadmin config file per some comments on the web to allow access from outside but that was done after I started having the problem.

Not sure what to try next

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it!  It turns out there are two places in httpd.conf where the path has to be changed.  One is Directory the other is Doc Root.

You can search for :c:/wamp/www" to find them.

Just made the change and first test seems to have run fine.  Will post back if any problems show up as I do more testing.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2013 Jan 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious, Tom, as to whether, after having found out about how to make changes in the httpd.conf file, you decided to go back to your original plan of placing your website files on the second ("D", in the case you mentioned) drive, which, I presume (and you may have indicated this in the above), is strictly a data drive, not a system drive (actually, you only indicate that "D" is a partition, you do not indicate whether it is a system or a data partition... these details are NOT irrelevant!), which might in fact make it impossible to install the server there, since there is no "exe" support milieu on a non-system, or data, drive? (Yeps, this started out as a querry but ended up being a mini-lecture. )

Anyway, I have a partitioned HDD, with a system (C) drive and a data (D) drive, the whole point of this being that if I get a virus or if my XP Pro becomes to sludgy and I need to do a reinstall, I don't have the hassle of having to copy all of my data files (a nightmare of a scenario!), so I am definitely minded to keep my website files on my D drive. I therefore just moved the www folder from my WAMP (EasyPHP) folder on the C drive over to a folder I created for the purpose on my D drive. I have no idea how this will work out, but I am in the process of installing various EasyPHP modules which, I presume, will make it easy to set up my server environment. If I run into a snag, I'll do the Terminator thing...

AdobeFlat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this thread just minutes ago and while related to what I've been trying to accomplish for several days now I thought I'd see if someone could offer troubleshooting assistance.  Rather than using an easy install method like WAMP, I've separately installed MYSQL and PHP.  After reading through David Powers set up instructions for a PHP Server environment I thought that things were ready to roll but unfortunately have come up against the same error message each time I attempt a database connection on my sample PHP page.  When I try to establish the MySql connection via the connection dialogue box by entering: Connection Name, Server Name, User, Password the error message displays "Your PHP server doesn't have the MySql Module loaded or you can't use the mysql_(p)connect functions." 

I've looked over the PHP installation instructions sooo many times and tried several reconfigurations to resolve the error message but nothing seems to allow a connection through Dreaweaver. 

Essentially, I initially set up PHP to run on my server via Windows IIS version 7. This involved changing FAst CGI configurations and making a few adjustments to the PHP.ini file.  So now when I open my <?php phpinfo(); ?> in  a browser, the purple PHP files displays.  Whenever I try and make edits to the PHP.ini page though no corresponding adjustments are updated in my <?php phpinfo(); ?> browser page.  For example I've attempted to activate the "mysql.dll extension" by removing the preceding ; . I've ensured that the "ext_dir=Progra~1\PHP\ext" is set up properly in the PHP.ini file but nothing seems to get the mySql API to properly configure so that I can avoid the error message described above when trying to establish the mySql connection in a dreamwever PHP page.  Anybody have suggestions?   Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, if I were you, JFWily2, I would opt for a totally integrated package such as EasyPHP, then once you get it installed and run it (it will appear in SysTray, where you can double-click it and verify that both the Apache and MySQL servers are running (you'll see a green light for each if they are), then just right-click the icon again in SysTray (down by the clock) and choose "Administration". There you can see if there are updates waiting for you, as well as any other helpful modules (I downloaded and installed the whole nine yards, making sure to install them in the EasyPHP folder in Program Files, that way EVERYTHING meshes perfectly, no snags!).

If you wish to put your website creations (php, etc. files) on a separate drive than the system drive where you installed EasyPHP, that is easily done as long as you link to it from inside your "Administration" page (as a Local Files > Alias), and there you will have the opportunity to map the exact path to the folder in question.

For this to work, you'll need to remove the "www" folder from the EasyPHP folder in Program Files and put it on the other (target) drive, and then you can fix up as many subfolders (Aliases) under "www" (your document root in Apache) at the new location as you like.

You will need to set up a password for your MySQL server as the root user in order to secure it from outside tampering. If you don't know the exact procedure for this, then come back and I'll tell you how to do it, but first, you need to set the basics up as suggested in the above, either preserving the "www" folder in the EasyPHP folder in Program Files, or removing it and placing it on a drive where your files won't get lost if something ghastly happens to your system drive, God forbid!

If you wish to set it all up maverick style, then let the world know that you are still looking for an answer to your original query.

Whatever the case may be,

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeFlat,

Thanks for the informative post.  I'll look into easyPHP, although initially I had attempted running myPhpAdmin, a handy GUI but had an issue there too.  It wasn't providing the expected login features to load a database or even connect to mySQL as the GUI is intended to do.  And so going about it "Maverick", I've come to find definately has been a burden and required that I delve further than I had wanted from the get go.  Nonetheless, I've got to find a way to get the mySQL and PHP acknowledging one another so that Dreamweaver server behavior and other dynamic functions can work properly.  I'm hoping to not have to scrap the installs that I'm working with now as I've already invested the time to learn about the file packages and so forth.  I'll check out the easyPHP though, but I'm running IIS and according to your post, it's compatabile with Apache but also with IIS?  I'll reply if any solution arises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, JF,

I gave you a bum steer w.r.t moving the www folder from your Program Files\EasyPHP folder! I thought I had moved it when I wrote Post 11 above, when, in reality, I had only copied it. Once I discovered this, I moved it out of Program Files\EasyPHP and parked it elsewhere for safekeeping, in case it had to "come back home" (it did! -- though I still had the copy on my data drive, specified under Administration as Local Files > www > {name of my Alias(es)}, except that the copy there has grown, since I have been creating new files there).

Well, the Apache server balked immediately, apparently because its document root (Apache Document Root) was no longer there!  I hoped to be able to edit the file (the httpd.conf file?) where this change can be recorded/ edited/ effectuated, so that I might actually be able to move, entirely, the www folder/ Apache Document Root out of Program Files\EasyPHP... in fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that my website-in-creation will not work UNLESS it is located inside the document root, so respecifying the path of the moved (for now, only copied) www folder/ Apache Document Root may be a prerequisite to getting my website-in-creation to work at all, even though, for now, I can easily render the individual files from inside Administration > Local Files > {name of my Alias(es)} simply by clicking on them there.

Anyone more in the know is welcome to jump in here and add to both these discussions, where my query is where and how I can alter/ respecify the path to the document root so that I can move the www folder where I wish without causing the Apache server grief because I have deprived it of its document root!

Thx,

AdobeFlat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in responding.

To answer some of your questions, the partitioning was simply to "split" my HD into two equal amounts.  There wasn't much of a good reason to have to do this, but I wanted to use the technique to just help me organize my disk space.  It may be confusing since all I was doing was pretty much what a couple high-level folders would have accomplished. It did create some options for my backup software but even that could have been accomplished another way.

Regardless, it created the issue I ran into when originally posting the thread (i.e. moving the www file in wamp across partition boundaries.

The mods to the config file(s) were sufficient to fix the problem.  I now have the wamp www file on the D drive.

I appreciate the additional posts, certainly including yours, to the thread.  Of all the forums I've used, the Adobe ones are by far the most useful for a novice like me.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear SnakEyez02,

How exactly -- at the risk of appearning lower than the lowliest noob! -- do I "open up httpd.conf" (emphasis mine) and respecify the path of the Apache Document Root? I tried to do this with Commmand Prompt but it said that the path specified did not exist (the path was NOT misspecified... I don't think... I wrote, at the ">" cursor: "edit C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-12.1\conf_files\httpd.conf" (less the quotes, of course).

I got to thinking (dangerous! ) that Command Prompt may not like white space, and since I have noticed that it sometimes renders white space as a "%", I tried again with the "Program%Files" change, otherwise all else the same. Nada! (Hmm, should I also have changed "edit C:\" to "edit%C:\"???)

So, how does one go about editing the httpd.conf file???

Thx,

AdobeFlat

(Edited a few minutes later... )

If I might add to this so as to point to a concrete excerpt from the httpd.conf file, I have noticed that there are several places where the term "DocumentRoot" (no white space!) is mentioned, followed by the path, except that it is just generically (or shorthandedly/ symbolically) referred to as "{path}/www". So I'm guessing that the idea is to make the change in the first location of "DocumentRoot", then thereafter all of the "{path}/www" bits in all the other instances of "DocumentRoot" will refer to this change/ point back to the first-instance path?

Here is an excerpt from the httpd.conf file showing the very first instance of "DocumentRoot", so anyone who responds to this should probably use this excerpt in order to make suggestions, unless there is a different, Best Practices way to go about this:

*--- (beginning)

# Deny access to the entirety of your server's filesystem. You must

# explicitly permit access to web content directories in other

# <Directory> blocks below.

#

<Directory />

AllowOverride none

Require all denied

</Directory>

#

# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow

# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as

# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it

# below.

#

#

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your

# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but

# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.

#

DocumentRoot "${path}/www"

# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.

# ======================================================

# !!! DO NOT CHANGE THIS LINE AND THE FOLLOWING ONES !!!

# DocumentRootDirectory

<Directory "${path}/www">

---* (ending)

Hey, would it have made a difference in Command Prompt in specifying the path if I had used regular (forward) slashes instead of backslashes?

Thx,

AdobeFlat

Message was edited by: AdobeFlat

(A second short editing/ add-on, hours later... )

The httpd.conf file cannot be edited directly, says someone, else it will create havoc. I now believe this, having finally edited it directly! In the end, I had to simply re-install EasyPHP and all of the support components (the modules were still there), after having done a System Restore that did not work, alas.

Now I am back to square one: I need to know how to alter the httpd.conf file so that I can place my website files (and create a virtual host in) a DocumentRoot whose location is of my own choosing, such as on my data drive, rather than being located on the vulnerable (to virus attack) system drive. One would think that SourceForge would offer an Introduction that explains such an important feature in language that non-geeks can comprehend!

AdobeFlat

(A much later and much happier edit: I found a solution that works!)

It is too late and I am too tired to go through this right now, but I promise to do so tomorrow, when I will give precise instructions for EXACTLY which steps to take in order to ALTER (MOVE!) the DocumentRoot path specification (in the httpd.conf file) from its default path (inside Program Files on the system drive) to, say, a data drive path. The instructions will be for EasyPHP.

If you don't have a fancy editor, Notepad will do just fine (EasyPHP calls up Notepad per default whenever it notifies one of something out of kilter with the httpd.conf file that needs correcting).

I'll also show you how to make EasyPHP spit out an Installation Information page that will confirm that the ALTERED DocumentRoot path specification has indeed been ACCEPTED!

All will be revealed -- tomorrow! (If they had a "Relieved" smiley above, here is where I would put it!)

AdobeFlat

Message was edited by: AdobeFlat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

{I note that Tom has added a new entry. However, the following is meant to be general help to anyone who crosses these pages by chance in search of how to change the path of the DocumentRoot. There are zillions of forums where the question is posed but not answered, or is not adequately answered... while the coding itself is simple, the supplementary commentary requires a lot of words is ambiguities are to be avoided, or if a "hands-on" approach is desired by the seeker.}

How to Re-specify the Path of DocumentRoot in EasyPHP

To make this change, you must open the httpd.conf file in an editor such as Editra (free) or phpDesigner8 (free to try for 21 days, but it is good enough (and cheap enough) to buy, so I wouldn't download it and waste the trial period just for this task!) – or good ol' Notepad, which is already on your system if your OS is Windows (this, for noobs!).

Here's WHERE your httpd.conf file is located, depending on the name of your actual virtual server (mine is EasyPHP-12.1) and depending on the letter of the system drive where you have installed said server:

C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-12.1\conf_files

In the httpd.conf file, you will see several references to DocumentRoot of this type:

"${path}/blah-blah-blah"

That is NOT what you are looking for (the above is a symbolic reference to the actual path, which we will find – and change! – presently). Instead, the full path of the DocumentRoot (hereafter: DR) is located near the bottom, or end, of the httpd.conf file in something called "Directory", written with paired tags, like so: "<Directory>", "</Directory>" (in my file, it is located just above the "<VirtualHost>, </VirtualHost>" entry, but this may simply be because I added the VirtualHost module to my EasyPHP folder).

NB! If you have not provided a password to your MySQL database, it is vulnerable to outside attack, therefore I will end these instructions below with an appended section on how to set up the password. (Note that the actual coding here, as always, is as compact as a grain of sand, it's just that in order to dispel any and all ambiguities, one has to employ an ocean of descriptive-supportive words!) I mention this because you probably shouldn't be surprised if, once you have added a password, Apache will automatically change the access parameters reflecting the limited access implicit in the setting up of a password – in fact, the httpd.conf file is not etched in stone, it reflects the status of the Apache system at any given point in time. Oh, I almost forgot, I'll also tell you how to have EasyPHP spit out an Installation Information page that will confirm that the ALTERED DocumentRoot path specification has indeed been ACCEPTED!

Here is what my "Directory" entry looks like now:

# <Directory "C:/Program Files/EasyPHP-12.1/www">

<Directory "D:/EZPHP-Desktop/www/Tim-Berners-Lee">

Options FollowSymLinks Indexes

AllowOverride All

Order deny,allow

Allow from 127.0.0.1

Deny from all

Require all granted

</Directory>

All that got changed is that the default DR address, or path, "C:/Program Files/EasyPHP-12.1/www", was altered. By me, in phpDesigner8. Following instructions that I found elsewhere, I, at the same time, attempted (unsuccessfully, more on this in a jiffy) to change the contents between the "Directory" tags as follows:

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride All

Order allow,deny

Allow from all

and though I saved the file, and though Apache did indeed accept my DR path change (note that I didn't delete the original path, I – for safety's sake until I get it all running smoothly – chose to just "comment it out", i.e., I prepended hashtags), Apache did NOT accept my changes in the safety parameters, presumably because I had already set a MySQL password.

If the "VirtualHost" tags (below the "Directory" tags near the bottom of the file, or the place we are describing) are present, then you need to change their "contents" as well, so that the contents will look similar to this (substituting the DR path of your choice, of course, and with A MAJOR CAVEAT mentioned below):

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>

DocumentRoot "D:/EZPHP-Desktop/www/Tim-Berners-Lee"

ServerName localhost

# DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/EasyPHP-12.1/www"

# ServerName localhost

</VirtualHost>

Note that also here I chose to "comment out" the original DR path, and don't fret if your VirtualHost says "localhost" instead of 127.0.0.1.

THE MAJOR CAVEAT:

My Apache setup surely violates at least some protocols here (EasyPHP > Administration generates a lot of pesky but non-fatal errors in the VirtualHost module that I installed as an add-on, but which I have not yet configured... it was important to first get the change in the DR path ironed out). Namely, w.r.t. the naming of the DR and the Alias, which, I'm pretty sure, aren't supposed to be one and the same (the Alias, if on the path of the DR (you can put Aliases anywhere), should be a subdirectory, or subfolder, under the DR folder; certainly not, as I have done here, the exact same folder!).

Note that Apache is looking for the DR to end in "www" or a variant thereof, such as "wwwtim-berners-lee"; I have named the DR in my setup precisely as one would name an Alias, which, if placed in the DR, would belong to a subfolder there, like so: (DR name/path)/Alias.

As soon as I rename my DR to "www something-or-other" (all in one word) and make my "project folder" – my website project, or my Tim-Berners-Lee (all in one word not necessary here) folder – the Alias, then I am confident that the pesky messages in VirtualHost will cease & desist. At that point, when I am sure that I have gotten all the snags ironed out, I will clean up my httpd.conf file, deleting the superfluous, "commented out" DR paths entirely.

How to Set a Password in MySQL DBMS:

("DBMS" stands for "database management system", and note that I found the template for this somewhere online and naturally altered it to suit my computer environment):

To set a password of, say, "Comanche", assuming that you have EasyPHP or something similar installed on your computer, choose the Run option in the Start Menu and enter:

"C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-12.1\mysql\bin\mysqladmin.exe" -uroot password Comanche

{EXACTLY as written above, though note that you will need to name the actual virtual server program you are using if you are not using EasyPHP-12.1, and the actual password will be one invented by you unless you like the name "Comanche" and are very foolhardy!}

Click OK and a window will rapidly open and close, and, if you have typed the command correctly, you will hear... NARY A SOUND (not the slightest beep)! Record your password in your Little Black Book!

Each time you start your virtual server program, you can make use of the MySQL command line interpreter by logging onto the MySQL DBMS, using your password, in the following way (which is altered slightly from the path listed above, so pay attention!):

Click on Run in the Start Menu, then paste the following (copied) path (eventually making a substitution for "EasyPHP-12.1" to reflect your actual virtual server, and substituting your own password, of course):

"C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-12.1\mysql\bin\mysql.exe" -uroot -p[your_password (whatever it is), eg., "Comanche" (like so: -pComanche), though without the quotes around "Comanche", and of course the password itself must NOT have gaps/ white space!]

Click OK, and a Command Prompt window belonging to the MySQL database will appear. When you are finished using the MySQL command line interpreter, you can exit the Command Prompt by typing "quit" (less the quotes, of course) at the cursor to the right of "mysql>".

Don't be a DUMMY; write your password down in your Little Black Book (do you realize just how many nincompoops – as we speak, as it were – are trying to find out how to reset their respective MySQL DBMS passwords because they forgot them?!)!!!

How to Access Your PHP Installation Information:

To test your Apache and PHP, create the file phpinfo.php in the directory D:\EZPHP-Desktop\www\Tim-Berners-Lee (YES, backslashes here!) and type in the following PHP contents {I simply created an HTML template in phpDesigner8, added the php string listed below in the "body" section, then saved it with a name ("My EasyPHP Installation Info") as a *.php file IN THE "Tim-Berners-Lee" folder mapped out above.}:

<?php phpinfo( ); ?>

To access this file, follow the usual procedure, making your very own personal substitutions where relevant:

1) Right-click the EasyPHP icon in SysTray and choose "Administration", then

2) Once inside "Administration", click on "Tim-Berners-Lee" under "Local Files" and a new tab will open, showing all of the contents of the "Tim-Berners-Lee" folder, then

3) Click on the name of the file in question ("My EasyPHP Installation Info") and a complete installation information sheet will open in a new tab, including the address/ path or your altered (moved) DR.

Voilà! (If the DR path didn't get changed, then you have erred somewhere, so you should recheck everything, and if that fails, have a second set of eyes run through it... it is amazing how the brian corects our erors wthout us evn regestring thm! : -) )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I promise I won't belabor this, but, AdobeFlat's interest and response is a great example of why I like coming to Adobe Forums.  For those, like me, who have lots of dumb questions and sometimes don't do their homework, you can't do much better than these threads.  It amazes me sometimes how a simple question can blossum into interesting perspectives.

Thansk AdobeFlat for continuing that tradition!!!

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wanted to move my current installation from D:/wamp to C:/wamp

The real problem would be with mysql databases.

They can be exported and imported into the new installation.

This was not convenient to me as I had many databases with GB's of data.

Though using mysql dump was an option, all that seemed a bit risky to me.

Earlier, in similar situations, I used to create a new installation of wampserver having

the same versions of php, mysql and apache and then replace  bin/mysql/data with the

folder form the old one and manually check for changes to be made in

:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.21\conf\httpd.conf

\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.21\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

because i have many websites being served by apache

Stopped wampmysqld, wampapache services

exit wamp server

Copied the wamp folder from D: to C: .... had the one in D: intact, just in case.

I used Notepad++ ... made a file search for D:/wamp in "C:\wamp" using file types *.php; *.ini; *.conf; *.txt";

Using the first three ... result was out in a second or so.

After adding .txt, it took a few seconds more, may be a minute.

My system has a i5-3210M Processor and 16 GB Ram.

[Since your system capability affects the time taken for search]

I used find first

and then after assuring myself that what i got was what i was looking for,

I used find and replace

Replaced all D:\wamp with C:\wamp.

Changed the drive letters in the "Target" and "Start In" fields of the Shortcut tab of the start Wamp Server Properties dialog box relating to the shortcut here

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\WampServer\start WampServer

Since i have setup apache and mysql as services I had to change the drive letters relating to the services also

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wampapache

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wampmysqld

ImagePath    holds the value relating to the path

change the drive letter from d: to c:

started wamp server from the startup folder, and checked.

Done;

Changed the

These are the files affected

@

\wamp\wampmanager.ini (719 hits)

\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.21\bin\php.ini (6 hits)

\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.16\my.ini (3 hits)

\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.8\php.ini (6 hits)

\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.8\phpForApache.ini (6 hits)

\wamp\alias\phpmyadmin.conf (2 hits)

\wamp\alias\sqlbuddy.conf (2 hits)

\wamp\alias\webgrind.conf (2 hits)

I am including these to give an idea of affected areas.

Anyone trying this route should be conscious that their finding need not be exactly the same.

I came here while searching for a solution at the beginning.

Putting this here assuming that some one else might find it helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines