I am working on 96-page chapter of a larger book. A 7-page section of the chapter needs to be hidden until the next release, so I hid it with conditional text. After doing this, the "Save as PDF" printing process goes from taking 6-7 seconds to taking several minutes. If I unhide the conditional text in the same session, printing is very quick again.
I have no problem generating very PDF files with the PDF printer in other applications (Word, PowerPoint). The issue is specific to FrameMaker and the use of conditional text. What might be causing this?
I am using FrameMaker 9.0p255 and Distiller 9.0.
These were good suggestions to try. Saving the document first has no effect on PDF generation.
However, I did find that printing to the Adobe PDF printer remains fast when the conditional text is hidden. That's quite an interesting finding! I did also notice that these two methods of PDF generation aren't identical:
When I do a "Save as PDF", FrameMaker does still spool to the PDF printer. It is this spooling that takes a long time. Once spooling is complete, then the Distiller window opens and the PDF is created very quickly.
I would still like to get "Save as PDF" working since it knows where to place the PDF file. No solution to the runtime yet, but at least there is progress...
Europe, Middle East and Africa