Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Apply Smart object transformation to other layers

Mar 29, 2012 10:30 AM

Is there a way to get the current transformation used on a Smart Object layer (scale/skew/rotat/perspective/warp/etc.), to allow applying it to other layer(s)? I've looked through the Javascript reference, and I haven't found anything that appears to allow this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to MarkWalsh

I have never been able to find a way and I have tried many times.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to MarkWalsh

As you said, a smart object is not just a sort of folder for images. Even if you set aside vector images, there is a lot of unique properties a smart object layer can have. The enclosed images may be in a different color space or at a different bit depth. There could be Blend-IF, Channel restriction, or blend mode options. Then there are the smart filters that can work differently than they would on a normal layer. Nested Smart Objects only add to the complexity.

I think even if we were able to determine the current transform settings for a smart object it would be very difficult to come up with a foolproof method of converting a nested smart object into it's component layers and still have the image look the same.

Still I agree it would be nice to be able to determine the current transform settings for simple single layer raster content smart object layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to Michael L Hale

Still I agree it would be nice to be able to determine the current transform settings for simple single layer raster content smart object layers.

How true.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to Michael L Hale

There are some things associated with the SO transform stored in the file… I've had NO luck when trying to do this in the past but you may…? This is from the file format doc… It looks like you could get the x,y points… In AI & ID transformations are done with matrix so you can get any or all transformations and apply them to other objects… PS looks like it just commits when OK'd… Which is a shame… You've probably seen this info before but just in case…

Screen shot 2012-03-31 at 10.46.01.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points