Skip navigation
me, too
Currently Being Moderated

LR4's need to contact Adobe

Mar 30, 2012 8:06 AM

Tags: #lr4

it seems that every time I launch LR4, and every time I quit it, it attempts to contact Adobe. On launch, it asks to contact www.photoshop.com. On quit, it insists on contacting hl2rcv.adobe.com. As yet I've seen no difference in its subsequent behavior whether I allow it to do so or not. What's up with that behavior?

I suppose the attempt to reach photoshop.com might be a validation thing, or maybe it's getting ready to answer queries for help, but why on earth contact hl2rcv.adobe.com?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to me, too

Weird, I'm not aware of LR trying to automatically connect to either of those sites when I use it on my system. Also, LR doesn't go through the same type of sophisticated validation/activation that PS does, so once you've entered in your serial number for the first time, I don't think it ever needs to 'phone home' again - but I may be proven wrong!

I suspect something may be wrong with your set up here.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to Mollysnoot

It attempts to connect to www.photoshop.com on every load, even with automatic updating off.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:56 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

I'm getting this also.  If I didn't have Little Snitch, I'd never know.  I suspect it's a form of market research.  I think I'll deny the connections forever.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to kbkbn

Have you signed up to the "Adobe Product Improvement Program" (under the Help menu)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to me, too

Very interesing. I didn't sign up to the APIP, so I guess that's why I wasn't seeing this on my system.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

I think it's very unprofessional of Adobe to try to connect to any url, let alone one that is not part of the adobe.com domain. How should a user know that photoshop.com is owned by Adobe without looking it up in the registry? Little Snitch solves the program for me, ignore forever.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

How should a user know that photoshop.com is owned by Adobe

Uuumm...

Is that a serious question?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Yes Keith. Anything outside the adobe.com domain would be a serious question for those of us who do not trust much of anything on the Internet.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points