Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stroke options suggestion

Mar 30, 2012 8:22 AM

Tags: #stroke #feature_requests

1. While it is a welcome addition to be able to select dashed and dotted strokes for vector shapes, this option should also be available for pixel based shapes. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to create dotted "strokes" by using the type tool with large periods and spacing them, turning them, rasterizing them, transforming them--a really convoluted procedure.

2. The "corner" function in the stroke style dialog is a little confusing. The icons are not self-explanatory, and clicking on one or the other seems to make very little difference. It is next to impossible to get all the corners to look the same and trying different numbers in the spacing field seems to affect corner behavior more than the actual corner controls.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to ckc48

Thanks for your ideas. We will be evaluating all the feature requests as possible items to include in a future version. Your input is appreciated.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to ckc48

2. The corner options will only make a difference if the Align setting is set to center or outside.

Unfortunately, there is no built in way to align stroke dashes to corners, as they would in inDesign (I haven't tried in Illustrator, but I assume it also has better dash positioning)

I made a script that aligns the dash pattern to corners, if that would help.  I'll post a link later.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to David Jensen

Yes, please share it, David!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Ok, here it is.  Scripts have limited access to how strokes work, so it doesn't work in all cases, but hopefully it will help someone.

https://sites.google.com/site/lcdlagtester/dashed_line_nice_corners

Here's a quick sample. Notice how the long strokes center themselves over the corners.

dashedLine.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to ckc48

you can usually right click a link to choose where to download it to.

Put the script in {photoshop directory}/presets/scripts/

To run the script choose File> Scripts and select the script from the list.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points