Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Recommended amount of RAM and SSD/HDD allocation.

Mar 30, 2012 11:56 AM

I’m building a new desktop system soon after Ivy Bridge is released and want it to optimized for decent performance with CS5.5/6 with the focus on PPro.

I’ve not used PPro before so not sure how well it scales with RAM or how best to allocate multiple drives to maximize performance. I’m using a Panasonic SDT750 shooting in 1080i and 1080P and 2D only.

So my questions are:

1. What is the recommended amount of RAM to use so as to not bottleneck performance?

I’m hoping to get away with 8 or 16GB DDR3-1600 so if more is recommended it would be good to know how much of a gain you can achieve by going higher than that. 

1. How best to allocate SSDs and HDDs?

I have a Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, a WD 2TB Green SATA 5,400 rpm and potentially a Samsung PM830 SSD 256GB. I’m (naively) thinking of the following scenario:

A) Crucial C300 – O/S and applications: pagefile disabled!

B) Samsung PM830 – Working Projects and Media.

C) WD Green – Previews and exports.

Questions stemming from this allocation:

1. Will the slow WD Green be a bottleneck in the above scenario? I will likely replace it with a 3TB drive so do have the option of using a 7,200 rpm drive although RAID is not an option due to space/heat/noise constraints.
  2. Will having the Projects and Media on a fast SSD offer a noticeable improvement?

As you can see I’m new to this so would be grateful on help in allocating resources. I’m happy to make changes as long as they are within my thermal/noise budget and offer reasonable value for money; silent computing is a limiting factor for my design.

I’m not looking for advice on CPU or GPU

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to eclipse_crow

1 - review the results at CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ - 8Gig is not NEARLY enough

2 - SSD and Video Editing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/902915?tstart=0

3 - YES !!! You must use 7200rpm drives for video editing

4 - click the link at #2 - do not try and use SSD for constant I/O

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to eclipse_crow

Performance vs memory

Here are some results that I have gathered using our PPBM5 benchmark on a constant platform where the only difference was the type and amount of memory.

Memory-Performance-Z68.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to eclipse_crow

I can not explain that almost insignificant anomaly.  The two plots were definitely gathered at different times and so might have other external factors coming into play.  When I initially gathered the second table it was all done at one sitting.  Later I got the 32 GB (4 x 8GB) set of memory and for 16 GB I used a 4 x 4GB different set of modules, possibly resulting in different timings, but I thought that it would be a better comparison that just running a test with only two modules.  But all the numbers are really close so without many, many more repeated runs it would be difficult to say anything except with our PPBM5 H.264 timeline encoding is really memory insensitive.  Repeatability in these tests is affected by the coarseness of the one second Windows clock so any answer is +/- 1 second and then since all tests involve writing to asynchronous disk drives you have another variable that affects each and every run. 

Generally to establish a real baseline measure I have run 10 complete benchmarks and do a round-off average, and I have on occasion thrown out an an "unexplained" deviation. 

But put it this way, more often than not I have seen better results of 32 GB of slow memory than 16 GB of faster memory.  And I am overclocking the CPU extensively.  This winter in my cold basement I have been consistently running at 5.0 GHZ with that 32 GB of DDR3-1333.  Now if the price of RAM every bottoms out again and I could afford 4 each 8 GB fast RAM modules I of course would be very happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 3:52 AM   in reply to eclipse_crow

Bill,

Thanks for the PPBM5 vs. RAM results table!

Eclipse,

Regarding:

1. 16GB does sound like a good choice for your build; you may even want to get a slower speed and 1.5v RAM. I am assuming you are going for 1.6v on the DDR3-2133

2. For your "A" drive, great. For your "B" drive, a SSD is really not a good choice at all; suggest you sell it and fund a new 2TB or 3TB 7200 rpm drive. Now for your "C" drive, WD Greens (less than 7200 rpm) certainly are not a good choice for a new purchase for a PPro rig, but since you have a big one already, why not just try it and change it out later if it does not produce acceptable results.

3. See #2. Also, regarding your mention of heat issues (not sure why though for a desktop?), external eSATA solutions are excellent, and USB 3.0 would be OK.

4. No, and trust me I've tried!

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points