Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I get LR4 to use PV2010 as the default?

Apr 2, 2012 5:21 AM

I can swap from PV2012 by changing it for each shot but I'd like to use PV2010 for all shots, I'm struggling with the new controls, especially the lack of a fill ight and recovery

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

you can set the PV via the import dialog.

you have to make an import/develop preset that uses the PV2010 version and you have to include the PV into the preset.

http://i.imgur.com/wwDaK.jpg

then you use that preset when you import your images into LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

You should be able to update your default setings for processing raw files so that it uses PV2010: this would mean you wouldn't then need to use a develop preset at all. Go to Develop and select a raw file that hasn't had anything done to it previously in the Develop module (so all setting are at their defaults). Then change the Process Version via the calibration tab, leaving all other settings alone. Finally, go to preferences and use the 'save default settings for cameras' option - make sure you uncheck the camera serial number and ISO options. Save that as a new default (you'll get a warning when doing so) and you should be good to go.

Personally though, I'd stick with PV2012 as I think it's far superior once you get used to it, but each to their own.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Mollysnoot wrote:

You should be able to update your default setings for processing raw files so that it uses PV2010: this would mean you wouldn't then need to use a develop preset at all. Go to Develop and select a raw file that hasn't had anything done to it previously in the Develop module (so all setting are at their defaults). Then change the Process Version via the calibration tab, leaving all other settings alone. Finally, go to preferences and use the 'save default settings for cameras' option - make sure you uncheck the camera serial number and ISO options. Save that as a new default (you'll get a warning when doing so) and you should be good to go.

that´s another way... thought .... afaik it´s under the develop menu point, not preferences.

just in case you search in the wrong place:

http://i.imgur.com/iltzc.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

dhphoto2012 wrote:

I still prefer to have the fill-light and other LR3 settings, you can get there in PV2012, but IMHO it is harder

depends.. i would not go back to 2010. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

If you don't like PV2012, why use LR4?   That's the main carrot in LR4.   For PV2010, I'd stay with the tried and proven LR 3.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

-Agfaclack- wrote:

Mollysnoot wrote:

that´s another way... thought .... afaik it´s under the develop menu point, not preferences.

just in case you search in the wrong place:

http://i.imgur.com/iltzc.jpg

Good point. Not on my usual machine here (at work) so wasn't able to verify this - just seemed to recall it was under preferences, but I guess my memory let me down here!

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

dhphoto2012 wrote:

I still prefer to have the fill-light and other LR3 settings, you can get there in PV2012, but IMHO it is harder

That's why I created (and shared) Fill-Light like presets - it saves time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to dhphoto2012

dhphoto2012 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

dhphoto2012 wrote:

That's why I created (and shared) Fill-Light like presets - it saves time.

Can you point me towards those please Lee?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4254154#4254154

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Mollysnoot wrote:

Personally though, I'd stick with PV2012 as I think it's far superior once you get used to it, but each to their own.

M

Sorry for bringing this old one up. The thing is, this trick won't work! It seems that whenever I reset (or delete and re-import) my photos the crs:ProcessVersion="5.7" (where 5.7 is PV2010) line in  the Default_(whatever).xmp is simply ignored. They are  still processed as PV2012.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 11:59 PM   in reply to dhphoto2012

I don't blame you for using the tools you're getting the best results with, but I do recommend to continue to learn the PV2012 controls too, at your leisure. You may "see the light" once they start to click...

e.g.

in Lr3, one could brighten the entire photo using fill-light, but the pv12 shadows slider has a narrower scope, so one may need to boost exposure to get the fill job done, combined with liberal amounts of -highlights (negative highlights) to keep from over-exposing the highlights.

Also, one can drop contrast more in pv12 and use +whites (and -blacks) instead to extend the histogram all the way (-highlights & +shadows to keep from whitening or blackening too much).

Consider clarity as substitute for some of the fill personality lost in pv12, and maybe boost vib/sat when dropping contrast.

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points