Skip navigation
John Ratard
Currently Being Moderated

Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Apr 2, 2012 10:21 AM

I have been trying to determine the sound card I should purchase for Creative Suite CS5 compatible with Premier Pro.  I have reviewed posts resulting from my searches that list a number of sound cards.  Some indicate problems.

With no experience in ASIO sound cards and a number to choose from, which sound card is recommended for overall performance from experience?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to John Ratard

playback and editing the onboard sound is more than good enough.

do NOT by a sound blaster/Zonar thingy

voice overs or recording from source other than onboard cam is a completely different story and requires a professional audio interface

which depends on number of ins you need and budget. they range from $99 to well over 2k

for VOs a very nice mic pre and mic are recommended

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to John Ratard

A good 50% if not more of my clients just us onboard

With Adobe

http://www.asio4all.com/

Thanks

Scott Chichelli

ADK Media Group LLC

<http://facebook.com/adkmg> Like us on facebook!

859-635-5762

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to John Ratard

oops missed the 2nd 1/2

VO = voice over

to recommend an audio interface i need to know how many ins/out you need?

and budget.

i can recommend a $500 mic pre, $500 mic and $1000 interface.

you can get by with less obviously. the mic and mic pre are more important than the interface unles you want to cheap out and just use the pre amps on the interface

(hard to get that boom/radio announcer voice if so)

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to John Ratard

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Seriously Harm? Ughh might be fine for training videos but no serious VO guy would ever consider it.

A good mic requires a mic pre (phantom power), there is no such thing as a good dynamic mic.

A good mic pre (actually channel strip would be a better name) is required to get that “sound”

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

The Zoom H4N has phantom power and the AKG 414 or even the 214 cardoid is more than most VO pro's would need. The Neuman TLM103 may even be better but maybe a bit out of budget for most. All these mic's are large diaphragm condenser mic's. Not dynamic.

FYI, VO is such a simple application, that even a much cheaper mic might suffice. And furthermore the AKG 414 and the Neuman are widely used in radio broadcast and have been the choice of radio professionals and VO professionals for a very long time.

The AKG mics are "clearer" with more attack and more crispness, as one would expect with a phantom powered "active" approach compared to the dynamics.

All mics also take on the "color" of the preamp circuit that they drive, so a decent mic with an excellent pre-amp would often out-perform a great mic fed into a mediocre recording circuit. Today, most pre-amps except the cheapest are pretty clean, if a bit "sterile". You can often fix that with post-processing, but it's more efficient to just do it properly in the first place and not have to spend a lot of time futzing around in post.

At the end of the day, no matter which you use, all they can do is capture and record the voice that hits the diaphragm. So the key to a good sound is good talent. Always was and always will be. You can start with a sub-standard read and compress it for clarity, make it crisper or boost certain frequencies - but it's still going to be a recording of the performance that happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Glad to see you know a mic or 2 not bad for an old guy!

And you hit the nail in the head with the AKGs.. neumann is way overkill

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to John Ratard

John,

From the picture in a previous post and the components I mentioned you may be able to distill my workflow for VO. Note that I do not (regularly) use a teleprompter, although from time to time I can get one from a friend to use.

My workflow is writing out the VO text I want to add. The reason is that I want every sentence to have a certain flow, I want to know where to put an emphasis, where to have a silent part, and get an overall feel of the story. It should be like the old fashioned stories told on the radio. It has to trigger the interest of the audience, even with your eyes closed, it has to captivate them and this helps me get the proper wording, avoids the use of difficult words, etc. I then go to a quiet room in my house, close windows, doors, disable the telephone, warn my wife not to disturb me, hope nobody rings the bell at the front door and no ambulances pass our house with sirens screaming, in short no outside disturbances and setup the SE Reflection Pro filter and mic. I then read out the text, usually paragraph wise, get my breadth again and go on to the next paragraph. When I feel everything is OK, I take the SD card from the Zoom, import the WAV recordings into my computer and import them into my project. It is then a simple matter of dragging each paragraph into the timline (mono track) and postion it where I want it, and so on for the next paragraph. This way I get very clear VO sound that needs no further audio processing and the positioning is very quick. This works great for me, but maybe your workflow is different, so distill what you need and can use from this description.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points