Skip navigation
Mathias17 451 posts
Feb 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Creating production files with layered spot color screens

Apr 2, 2012 2:40 PM

I'm tasked with recreating a 2-color (cyan and magenta) job that upon close inspection of the submitted printed sample, with a magnifier loupe, I can see that a certain portion is dark purple because the cyan and magenta used for the job are layered on top of each other in that area.

How do I design the production file so that it's evident that the 2 plates that will be created from the said file will result in plates that have dot screens of both colors in the same place in order that when used on the press they produce the combined purple shade?

Thanks,

mathias (master of convolutedly long sentences)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Mathias17

With cyan and magenta only it's not a problem. Just make sure that your design contains no black or yellow. Use the Color and Swatches panels to produce and store mixtures of cyan and magenta for colouring your design elements.

But in your headline you say "spot color screens" which is a bit more complex because Illie can't store mixes of spot colours as swatches.

So you will have to work with overprints and have Overprint Preview turned on while you work.

The other possibility is to work in false colours, using say magenta for spot red and cyan for spot blue.

There's nothing to prevent you from working this way and I have occasionally done so, but you will need to explain carefully to your printer what you are doing and it's not a bad idea to add a colour legend to your artwork to ensure that your false process colors are printed in the right spot inks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

To add to Steve's directions you should set one of the colored shapes to Overprint Fill and/or set the stroke to Overprint as well.

You do this by selecting the object and going to the Attributes Panel check boxes next to Overprint Fill and Overprint Stroke

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

And by the way there's no need to work on separate layers. Just let Illie's stacking system work on its own.

It is a not uncommon misconception with beginners that each colour of a separation should be on a separate layer.

Another thing: If you need to use white for blocking things out, that's quite o.k.

Use preferably greyscale or process white rather than 0% of spot colours, and DON'T set white to overprint.

If you do it will disappear as you will see by turning on Overprint Preview.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points