Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Some child chms don't display topic in topic pane when TOC item is clicked

Apr 2, 2012 3:16 PM

Tags: #toc #chm #merged

Okay. I'm not sure what's going on.

We have a master project and various sub-chms that get merged into the TOC of that master project. We have a fairly new sub RH project named "Toolkit Modules" that generates three additional sub chms that are also merged into the master help. They appear at the very end of the master project's TOC:

<master help's toc>

<10 other merged chms>

toolkitmodules.chm

toolkitmodules_blade.chm

toolkitmodules_vwmp.chm

All the topics for the three toolkit modules chms exist in the Toolkit Modules project and are conditionally marked with topic-level build tags so that the right topics appear in their respective chm.

I compiled the three toolkit chms and then put them in the master root directory so that when the master help is generated, they get included properly.

At first glance, all three of these chms appear to be working fine in the master TOC. I can expand and view the master help's TOC for the sub projects just fine, but clicking on a TOC entry does not display

the topics for these two chms in the topic pane:

toolkitmodules_blade.chm

toolkitmodules_vwmp.chm

4-2-2012 3-52-50 PM.jpg

I'm not sure why.

If I double-click and open up the individual chms from within Windows and view their contents, the topics appear as expected in those chms. It's just when merged, these latter two chms don't do anything from the TOC side. However, I have verified that the topics are indeed getting merged in, because I can use the Search tab to see the topics. In fact, the Locate button on the toolbar even expands the correct TOC and highlights the entry that matches. So something's just not working from the TOC side.

Any ideas?

I'm using RH 9.02.271

Windows 7 64-bit

HtmlHelp output (chm)

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to JaredHess

You are not being ignored, it's simply that I for one do not know the answer.

There was a problem with merged CHMs in RoboHelp 9 because the paths were absolute. That is described in Using RoboHelp 9 on my site but you will also see that Adobe advise it was fixed in the 902 patch that you have.

Take a look inside the HHP file's Merged Help section.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to JaredHess

Jared

Right now I simply don't have the bandwidth to say "send me your project". You may see me ask others to do so but that will only be where I believe it will be simple or I just need to see something.

Take a look at Item 13 in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh9/using_rh9.htm. That covers the fix to the merged CHM help problem that was used before Adobe fixed it in 902. Part of the problem was the HHP getting rewritten so maybe something there will help.

Any merged CHM help users able to pitch in here?

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to JaredHess

Unfortunately I can't download the zip file. It always fails with something like the file is corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:25 AM   in reply to Amebr

Jared

If I am right, you are going to want to bang your head on a wall so stand well clear before you read on.

Try recreating the merge without underscores in the CHM file names. I believe it is those three projects that are causing the trouble.

Suddenly remembered that one from a few years back.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points