Skip navigation
joe bloe premiere 4,391 posts
Dec 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

How many folks always run their OC configurations?

Apr 2, 2012 3:27 PM

The top of the PPBM is filled with OC systems.

Are any of these configs practical for day-to-day use, or for testing purposes only?

I have always assumed the latter and run my i7980x equipped

P6T7 WS Supercomputer MB in stock BIOS clock configuration.

I am not interested in specialized cooling systems to deal with any added heat.

I realize a potential consequence could be decreased processor life span,

but with the currently steep development curve, I suspect I would likely

end up moving on to the next generation processor before 'burning out'.

Any input from OC'ers would be appreciated.

Lian Li PC-A77F-B case

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 EPS12V 2.91

Kingston - HyperX 24GB (6 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

My main editing machine is identical to your motherboard/CPU/amount of memory/case always runs at 4.2 GHz, I would not think of using it stock. Each and every CPU chip has to be tested to see what temperatures each core runs. 

I will have to admit the my other system an i7-2600K is my experimental system and resides in my basement which during this winter has been averaging about 60 degrees F and with that ambient a lot of testing and a few real projects have been done at 5.0 GHz.  Now that summer is approaching that clock rate is probably over.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

all the OCed systems we ship are designed to run @ the OCed speed indefinately on air cooling

however Bill's 5GHz is a bit out of the norm.. 4.5GHz is about average for his porcessor

your 980x should run all day long @4GHz with good air cooling.

we just use sisoft Sandra for burn in (just cpu and memory nothing else) and use the CPUz to monitor temps on all cores

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

The main tool that I use is RealTemp and for the hex-cores you run the included RealTemp GT.  This utility give you instanteous, maximum and minium temperatures plus CPU clock speed.  Harm and I both use the direct BIOS adjustments.  Harm has an overclocking guide out here on the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

I have to agree with Scott that my 5 GHz is way out of the norm.  It only happened because that system is in the basement and during the winter the typical ambient temperature is about 15° C, now with summer approaching there will be no 5GHz running until next winter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

That is the guide Bill mentioned. The drawback of the TurboV utility is that nearly all voltages are set way higher than you would like, increasing temperatures inside the case and reducing the longevity of your components. Doing it manually in the BIOS gives much better results and is not harmful to your system. But be aware it is a time-consuming effort to get the best balance between stability and GHz.

By the way, it has been a while since I visited the PPBM site and the

updated layout, navigation, filters, etc. are really well done... kudos.

I do think there is a perfect spot for a 'Submit Donations' button

directly below "Submit Results'.

Thanks for the compliment. It has been quite a learning curve for me and we plan some major improvements for the new PPBM6 site, that are hinted at in the tooltip boxes in the current version. In short my plans are to create a login for the results pages, either as a guest or as a registered user. Registered users can buy a yearly subscription that gives them access to more pages, more detailed information and access to up-to-date BFTB charts, based on current day prices of the hardware in the system. That also entails a much simplified submission form, because the hardware information will be collected in 'ghost' mode without the user noticing it and can be represented in a CPU-Z like pop-up screen when details are requested. More information and especially more accurate information. Subscribers can Donate an amount to help fund our efforts and get even higher access levels and more sorting, selection and drill-down options, including more drill-down dynamic graphs, based on the selections one has made.

Well, the ideas are in place, all I need to do is implement them in the coming weeks/months and maybe add a blog with interesting hardware news as it impacts on NLE and CS6. Of course Bill and I need to reach an understanding what kind of subscriptions we will offer and at what prices, but the first step is to get the site in the air and that is difficult enough. I'm not a website builder and have no experience at all with web-shops, at least from a builders perspective.

If you have any suggestion on experienced website builders who want to help us, please let us know, but keep in mind that everything we do is volunteer work, so we don't have a budget for commercial builders.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Maybe I can loan you Colton (graphics/looks) and Chris (code freak) a little to assist, ping eric with what you need..

As much as I hate it Paypal makes things very easy with concern to shopping carts particularly when you are talking about international..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Here you have a sneek preview of the new timelime for PPBM6. It includes RED 4K and Canon 4:2:2 MXF and XDCAM-EX 4:2:2 material and now uses 6 video tracks.

RIMG0029.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Fantastic Harm - keep up the great work!

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Looks good Harm.

Did you clean your desk just for that photo ?  lol

Looking forward to CS6 plus the new GTX 685/690 cards.

Will be easier hooking up a multi-monitor ( more than 2 ) setup with those cards.

Cant wait for PPBM6.

You and Bill have put allot of work into it.

Have you figured out the membership setup and price yet for the site ?

CS6 almost here.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points