Skip navigation
FlashKatt
Currently Being Moderated

How to preserve Illustrator Glow in Flash

Apr 2, 2012 4:26 PM

Tags: #illustrator #glow #outer_glow

when I pull Illustrator elements with Outer Glow into Flash, the glow looks pretty nasty...lots of artifacts and "squares" throughout the area where the glow is.

Is there a way to preserve the high quality glow I see in Illustrator once I import those graphics into Flash?

Saving out as Photoshop gets the glow nice, but the actual item itself does not scale nicely!

thanks for any clues!

F

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to FlashKatt

This is an issue with the way objects are exported/imported.

It sounds like the imports are being done as Bitmaps, in some way, which explains the jagged edges and the horrible scaling - we often have the same issues!

You should be able to export and import as a vector graphic (SVG) and that should maintain the effects.

However, these effects tend to give pretty bad performance within the Flash Player (except on the desktop).  Just a word of warning!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to FlashKatt

One way is you can export as a SWF and import that object - it should maintain effects.  You WILL need to rescale this SWF, though (just set the .width/.height properties when you include it in your code and you're away).

Other than that, we try to avoid using any fancy effects and, if they are needed, build them onto the asset when they are created.

One other big one that we noticed, is that PhotoShop's "Pass through" is not the same as using the alpha channel within Flash/AS3 - or at least, it doesn't give the same visible effect.  (I know the OP was about Illustrator, but I would wager there are similar problems with effects from other applications).

Sorry I can't be of much more help :-/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points