Skip navigation
funkitabanana
Currently Being Moderated

Can I keep the reference point in indesign from changing?

Apr 3, 2012 11:41 AM

Tags: #maintain #reference_point

Not sure I'm in the right forum here, but here goes--I'm working in InDesign5. I have to place 100's of scans into boxes in a single layout, and often have to adjust size by percentage (using shift-command-< or >) after they're in the box. My issue is with the reference point changing with each scan. I'd like to set it to one spot and not have to reset every time I place a new scan, which obviously becomes tedious and time consuming. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Nita Reddy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to funkitabanana

Yeah, you're in a forum for general design talk, not the forum for the InDesign application - but that forum is broken today .

The behavior it sounds like you are describing is that you'd set the reference point e.g.from the top center to the top left, modify an image, and then place another image, only to find that the reference point has snapped back to top center. Did I read it right?

If you choose the reference point with no documents open, then when you start new documents, then the reference point will be whatever you specified with all docs closed. That's how you reset a default in InDesign.

However, I suspect that you're not placing hundreds of images into a brand-new document you made yourself. So, whatever reference point was chosen by the person who started the file is going to be the reference point that is selected if you open the file and start placing scans right away. What happens when you open your template and set the reference point to your preferred location before you do anything? With nothing selected?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to funkitabanana

Actually, these are my own documents, originally built in Quark (several years ago) and updated on a basically yearly basis.They're not exactly templates, but working documents.

Have you ever exported this file to INX/IDML and re-opened? That's a really normal corruption-clearing first step when handling InDesign docs, and you have two different features of your doc (started life as a Quark doc and converted into InDesign, and then updated from one version of ID to the next) that can sometimes induce corruption. One instance where I always export INX/IDML is when I'm moving a file from an older version of ID to a newer one, as when you moved from CS4 to CS5.

But, honestly, I can't tell whether your document is showing signs of minor corruption, or if your install of InDesign is Functioning As Designed. Does it remember which corner is active from copy to copy? Is it getting the active corner from whatever element was on top before you grouped? Is copying and pasting somehow messing it up; would it happen if you used File -> Place? Is it remembering from the source document? As you can imagine, I'm sure, there are plently of permutations to test.

Lastly, note that setting the reference point before you open is only going to affect new documents that you start fresh - your frequently-updated ex-Quark docs will not be affected when you choose a new default corner with no docs open. It would be whatever corner was active when you first converted your doc from Quark to ID, however many years ago that was.

If you want to continue troubleshooting, I'd suggest posting a new thread in the InDesign forum (which isn't broken anymore). If you supply a link to this thread, or summarize what we've already discussed, you probably won't have a bunch of people telling you to export IDML and re-open.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points