Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't edit a file because it is a Smart Object?

Apr 3, 2012 8:09 PM

I have an image I copied straight out of a Powerpoint and into a new CS5.5 file. I select the white background and try to delete it, though I am told that I cant because the Smart Object is not directly editable. How do I set this file up so I can edit and delete the background?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to media kat

If you're wanting to retain editability (in Powerpoint) while being able to manipulate transparency in Photoshop, maybe what you want to do is to create a layer mask for the Smart Object.  A change to the Smart Object later might result in your needing to recreate a mask, but that still gives you editability with minimum fuss.

Changes to specific things (such as particular colors) could be accomplished with adjustment layers clipped to the Smart Object.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to media kat

Noel Carboni has correctly pointed you to the root of the problem.

You cannot edit the Smart Object in Photoshop because it was not originally created in Photoshop or in any other application Photoshop can recognize, like Adobe Illustrator.

See if you can rasterize the object to turn it into an ordinary layer and then edit the pixels in Photoshop.   If necessary use brute force, meaning create a screen shot of your image.  

Message was edited by: station_one

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to station_one

Screenshots are not necessary.  Stamp the layer onto a new layer of pixels if need be...  Control-Shift-Alt-E.

But I don't think that will be necessary.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points