Skip navigation
WMB-mdillon
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot uninstall Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X

Apr 4, 2012 11:57 AM

Hello,

I am hoping someone out there can help.  I have been having a hard time uninstalling Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X from a large group of Windows XP SP3 PC's.  I run the latest Adobe Flash Uninstaller via a script and when I go into Add/Remove Program, I still see Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X listed there.  (I have hopefully attached a picture)add remove Flash.JPG

As you can, hopefully, see, it looks a little funny as the "Click here for more support info is missing."  What's more is when I go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to test the Flash install using Internet Explorer 8, I get prompted to install Adobe Flash.  (Hopefully the second picture shows up)

website flash message.JPG

I have tried running my script written as this:

"<network location>\uninstall_flash_player_32bit.exe" -uninstall -force and that does not work.

I also tried running a Powershell script and that does not work.

I did a search on the PC for flash.ocx and swflash.ocx and tried the regsrv32 -u trick and that does not work. 

As a last resort, I even tried running the Remove from one PC in Add/ remove programs to just see and I get this error:

error.JPG

I even click Browse and point this to the loation that has a copy of this file and I then get this error:

erro2.JPG

The only solution that really works is when I use Microsft's Installer Cleanup Utility and then run the Adobe Flash uninstaller again.

This is fine and dandy except I have MANY PC's that this has happened to and I would really like a foolproof way to completely remove Adobe Flash Player.  This needs to happen because I cannot successful install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player until this corrupted version gets removed.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks.

matt

PS - Nice job updating the forums Adobe. 

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to WMB-mdillon

Not sure why this is happening; the only thing I can think of that you may not be using the latest uninstaller?

Download: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html

Can you post the contents of the FlashInstall.log file (from C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash) from one of the failed uninstalls?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to WMB-mdillon

I'll forward this to our installer team, but as pat mentioned we'll need a FlashInstall.log from one of the affected systems.

Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on Windows?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points