Skip navigation
LMADDOX
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe PDF Printer Won't Load When Acrobat 7 Is Installed In Windows 7?

Apr 4, 2012 2:54 PM

Hi,

I installed Acrobat 7 in my Windows 7 desktop and it works fine except the Adobe PDF printer will not install.  Tried uninstalling, reinstalling and upgrading but still no Adobe PDF printer was installed.

However, when Acrobat 7 is installed in my Windows XP Professional computer the Adobe PDF printer does install.

Why won’t the printer install in the Windows 7 computer?  And what must be done to get it to install there?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to LMADDOX

The print subsystem for Windows changed dramatically after WIndows XP. The Adobe PDF PostScript printer instance installed by Acrobat 7 is simply incompatible with the requirements of Windows Vista and Windows 7. You need to upgrade.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to LMADDOX

I suspect you may have a 64-bit system. At least 1 person has reported success with AA7 on Win7, but that was likely the 32-bit version. You are kind of at the mercy of the OS with AA7 due to the compatibility issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to LMADDOX

I really don't have more. If you are getting something from someone else, be careful about the license if it is an Adobe product. Good luck in any case.

There is an outside chance you can make things work if you run in a 32-bit compatible mode. You may still have to print to file and then open the file in Distiller to get a result. A lot of this comes from Win7 issues. I just found out about the video drivers for Win7 are the problem for a lot of legacy software that worked in full-screen DOS modes, something Win7 does not support. You can actually get it to work if you install XP drivers! Just pointing out that not all of the issues are Adobe, some are MS also.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points