Skip navigation
greatpix-55
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 (and update) slow down after editing 2 images

Apr 4, 2012 9:32 PM

Imported 74 Nikon RAW images (from D300) into Lightroom 4 (also tried with RC-1) on 2.8ghz Intel iMac with 4gb memory, approx 180GB free on 320GB HD.

After using the brush on 2nd image the program slows to a crawl. It takes a minute or more to load the next image, a dozen or more seconds for Brush to be ready to use. Running OS-X Lion. Getting spinning wheel constantly, and it gets slower after 2nd image. I'm forced to close the program, wait a bit and restart so I can edit another photo in any reasonable time. Also, if I wait in Lightoom, doing nothing for a minute or more, things will speed up again for another 1 or 2 images (if I'm lucky).  All software and OS is up to date. No other programs running.

Memory leak or garbage collection problems?

Same thing happens on my Windows 7 laptop using a new Crucial 120gb SSD.

Someone else is editing the same images on their 4 year old PC using Lightroom 3.6 and everything is fine. I'm switching back to see if it helps. Will post here with results.

_Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to greatpix-55

Yep same here. Using the RC, rendering 1:1 and all the other optimisations reccomended. The program is not as responsive as LR3.6 but as SOON as I touch Noise Reeduction or Spot Removal then the entire program grinds to a halt while it takes five minutes to make the last adjustment. That's the end of the editing session for me. It's unusable and a complete waste of money and it is clearly affecting a lot of people. Back to 3.6 and I think time to ask Adobe for a refund (and yes I can hear you laughing in the back sir).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to CitizenDee

I can confirm the issue. Using some function (I noticed it on noise reduction too) causes a tremendous slowdown.

I'm using a i72630QM with 8gb ram. It's fast enough to handle that stuff, at least it was on LR3.

Edit: just to clarify what I mean with "slowdown": the program is barely reacting anymore, takes several seconds to come back from minimize, pretty much feels like crashing nonstop.

I can say 99,99% certainty that its not hardware related.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points