Skip navigation
KelThan
Currently Being Moderated

Checkboxes (Wingdings) to multiple words (Arial) in same sentence using styles.

Apr 5, 2012 12:21 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5 #styles #checkboxes

Many of my projects involve  forms that require me to scan pages using OCR to capture the text and redesigning the form (new tables, new checkboxes...etc.).  How can I apply a style to a group of words in the same sentence and apply a checkbox to each word followed by a capital lettered word.  The checkbox font is Wingdings and the text is usually Arial.  I typically use an "en space" to separate the checkbox from the text and then an "em space" to separate the following checkbox for the next word.  For example:

I would like to be able to just highlight text such as:

black,white,hispanic,asian

and apply a style or some type of find/replace action that results in (see image below)

example.jpg

Note that:

the first checkbox has no space prior to it

the subsequent checkboxes have an "em" space prior to them with an "en" space after

the text is capitalized

I know how to apply paragraph styles to accomplish this with one term within a cell of a table.  Is there anyway to accomplish this just by highlighting the terms?

Any suggestions to make this process easier and efficient would be a tremendous help!  I('m using InDesign 5.5 (PC) with Win7.

Thank you in advance!!!

Kel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to KelThan

I recommend a combination of paragraph styles, character styles  and Find/Change, although Grep styles may also work, but I'm not all that familiar with them.

I'd set a basic body paragraph style, and use a character style to change the font for the check boxes. Depending on how the text is translated by the OCR process, use Find to get to the place where you want the checkbox, and replace it with the checkbox and what ever other text is necessary (spaces, tabs, etc.). Just be sure to click the More Options on the Find/Change window and set the Change Format to the character style.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to KelThan

1. Create a character style for your Wingdings

2. Add a GREP style to the paragraph style you are using for these lists. Have it apply thing Wingdings style to the GREP string

\x{F072}

3. Then, for each of your list, select it and run this GREP Find/Change on your selection. Search for:

(?<!\w)\w+

Replace with:

\x{F072} $0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points